Still think Pavlovich beats Jones?

He turned down the title fight because he had acting obligations he was contractually bound to from what he said. Gane also won't be able to turn down Almeida for Paris so he's gonna have to fight him if they make the fight.
Good.

Jones isnt gonna do it, and you cant equate jones' LHW career to how he would do at HW. Theres just too many questions in that Gane performance.

I dont believe Jones is a natural HW and I dont think his declining talents will translate as well against these guys.

He was undefeated at LHW and finished his first HW fight against a top contender in the first 2 minutes. I know there are questions, but you can certainly and fairly assume he is going to be good due to his experience and body of work and the short time we saw him at HW. Literally everything points to this.

It isn't a stretch at all to say it would be the toughest test for Tom Aspinall even at Jones advanced age. No one has beat him yet in 15.. 15!!!... 15 years in the UFC.

He turned down the title fight because he had acting obligations he was contractually bound to from what he said. Gane also won't be able to turn down Almeida for Paris so he's gonna have to fight him if they make the fight.
Like @HHJ just pointed out, Gane is tough to read on what he will do. Yes he had those obligations but it shows his priorities might be different than what we would normally expect out of a Top 5 UFC fighter. I'm not going to take Gane's word on anything tbh because he's shown not to be the most reliable source. He said he would fight Tom and that didn't shake out at least twice. My memory might be wrong but after beating Spivac he said he wanted his title shot and was going to wait.

Reactions: HHJ
He was undefeated at LHW and finished his first HW fight against a top contender in the first 2 minutes. I know there are questions, but you can certainly and fairly assume he is going to be good due to his experience and body of work and the short time we saw him at HW. Literally everything points to this.

It isn't a stretch at all to say it would be the toughest test for Tom Aspinall even at Jones advanced age. No one has beat him yet in 15.. 15!!!... 15 years in the UFC.
I really dont assume that. Gane choked badly,and Jones last few LHW fights were pretty tepid performances....and that was already some years ago.

If volk can fight at length and keep composure he's a top 3 HW. He's not a gatekeeper he is just not consistent

I really dont assume that. Gane choked badly,and Jones last few LHW fights were pretty tepid performances....and that was already some years ago.

Sounds like you are discrediting his victory and his career. The guy literally hasn't lost in the UFC - and he has been fighting in title fights every fight since 2011. That is crazy and unheard of. You should respect greatness instead of doing everything you can to act like it doesn't exist.

Sounds like you are discrediting his victory and his career. The guy literally hasn't lost in the UFC - and he has been fighting in title fights every fight since 2011. That is crazy and unheard of. You should respect greatness instead of do everything you can to act like it doesn't exist.
Im not discrediting him exactly. He didnt do anything wrong. I just personally wasnt impressed by the resistance he faced, lets put it that way. He also just didnt look like he moved that well with his new frame. This doesnt have anything to do with his overall career. Simply living in 2024 sir.

Im not discrediting him exactly. He didnt do anything wrong. I just personally wasnt impressed by the resistance he faced, lets put it that way. He also just didnt look like he moved that well with his new frame. This doesnt have anything to do with his overall career. Simply living in 2024 sir.

Alright that's fair. I guess it is reasonable to say you wish you saw more at HW.

I still think him winning that HW title is an accomplishment, and it points to him being an elite fighter still at this point in his career. He's an old 36, but there have been older at HW who have had success who didn't have his pedigree.

The heavyweight division has extraordinarily low average talent and high average age. The roster depth alone is half that of 155 lbs.

Guys with the overall talent, skill and athleticism of Pavlovich and Volkov are not top 10 fighters in the lower weight divisions. At heavyweight, they are elite.

Aspinall can beat those guys because he's better, but thats the talent level in his division.

Guys with the overall talent, skill and athleticism of Pavlovich and Volkov are not top 10 fighters in the lower weight divisions.
Should they be?

Should they be?

So long as the UFC is paying 12k/show to get brain damage live on PPV, they will not attract suitably young, suitably athletic young men to enter MMA as their first option. Not guys the size of 205/265.

No one with options would take that deal.

always a top 5 but cant get near gold
sounds like an absolute gatekeeper lol
Add on top of that that the last four fighters to beat Volkov went on to championship or #1 contender fights. Prototypical gatekeeper indeed!

You'd be onto something if Tom didn't make easy work of those two. LOL

Doesn't really have anything to do with Tom. The biggest concern with Tom is that he throws leg kicks and leaves his chin hanging there without taking his head off the line. Jones doesn't KO anybody with punches, but I could definitely see him getting top position from landing a punch off one of Tom's sloppy leg kicks.

aspinall is the reason pavlovich is no longer a marauder. got his lights shut off once and is now a meek point fighter standing at range getting teed off on, while occasionally throwing a punch or two from a mile away.

Tom is good but he's not some fedor In his heyday time atg like a lot of people think he's highly overrated on the dawg

Back