Paulo Costa Will Scream in his Pillow Forever Now ...

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Almost feel sorry for the guy, but not really. He brought this on himself.

I can't think of a worse performance by any athlete, led by a worse strategy, with a worse more embarrassing outcome ... ever ... in the history of MMA or combat sports.

The fight was billed as two undefeated fighters with a serious grudge match, and Costa (a life time BJJ practitioner) was surrounded by the finest wrestling coach/wrestler in MMA, Eric Albarracin (a Pan-American Silver Medalist), and Henry Cejudo (an Olympic gold medalist).

Fireworks were predicted, and yet what we saw was a complete mismatch.

IMO, it should not have been a mismatch. It was a mismatch because of the worst strategy possible to face Izzy. Costa needs to fire the people around him, or quit fighting, because there's not a brain in the group.

I'd really like to know who on earth devised that ridiculous fight strategy? To stand there, right in Izzy's territory, and neither "go for it" ... as the two-fisted pressure slugger he's always been ... or to add clinchwork/takedowns to the mix and ground and pound the guy ... but to just "stand there" like a target for a known sharpshooter. I mean WTF?

Honestly, it was the damnedest thing I ever saw. Paulo Costa had his opportunity, and blew it. He choked. I already made the other post that he was "more worried about his stamina" than he was focused on fighting, but it's worse than that.

The truth is, his coaches, not to mention his own judgment, allowed him the dumbest game plan of all time. Not to add grappling to the mix (when surrounded by wrestlers, and as a BJJ black belt), and/or not to take the fist-ighting to a level beyond skills, and just make it a slugfest, was the stupidest non-strategy I've ever seen.

To stand there in front of a lifetime kickboxer, whose faster than you, and better than you, as a strategy for "winning" was a moment blown the likes of which will likely not be seen again.

And of course the "punctuation mark" left by Izzy at the end (in the end?) will probably have Costa screaming in his pillow, every night, for the rest of his life.

I'm not sure if it was strategy or if he was just overwhelmed and froze.

Lol opinions are like assholes, everyone has one... I'm sure you could find a shit ton of people on MMA media and Sherdog get mad at Costa for firing all his coaches if he actually did that.

You probably weren't even serious, but still

I can't think of a worse performance by any athlete, led by a worse strategy, with a worse more embarrassing outcome ... ever ... in the history of MMA or combat sports.
tenor.gif

He did a Till v Woodley. He is still a beast and will be back.

This loss was equally as bad as McGregor loss to khabib, at least Conor got paid a boatload. Like Conor, Costas confidence will never be the same again

This loss was equally as bad as McGregor loss to khabib, at least Conor got paid a boatload. Like Conor, Costas confidence will never be the same again

It was far worse.

Conor at least put up a fight. He at least had a moment, the 3rd round, where he fought on somewhat equal terms.

Costa to look like a disoriented, scared child in there ... and was beaten like one.

And then of course there was "the way it ended" ...

I recall a fighter tapping to fear in one of the first pride events. He got taken down and just freaked out and tapped to nothing. Granted it was the early days of mma but not that early. Being taken down was known "tactic" to everybody.

If he can comeback from that and claim a title someday he will be one of the mentally toughest fighters ever. Its a short list of fighters who got completely embarrassed and came back to be a champion.

Stipe moving on from the Struve loss comes to mind.

GSP from the Serra loss.

Besides that, I cant think of many others. Usually a loss like that ends a guys career.

I'm almost 100% certain he wanted to use his normal gameplan but Israel was way faster than he anticipated and he realized how easily he could get countered and he froze up and got tentative.

Look at the fight again, Paulo tried to corner Israel but his footwork was way too slick and he had no idea what to do. He tried figuring it out on the fly while getting his leg chewed up but he didn't know wtf to do.

They were busy trying to win the meme wars against adesanya. The retards or sherdog and other mma sites were only too happy to oblige them. All of a sudden to dumbest most cringe-worthy takes were somehow uproariously funny and OMG "can you imaging he barely speaking english and he's winning the troll wars". Yeah too bad those online trolls can't help you in the cage.

Izzy took his knee out with leg kicks right away, don't forget that. No checking whatsoever lel

Back