1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

paul williams still a threat at 147 ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Too $hort, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Too $hort Guest

I really think he still is,I think many wrote him off after his loss to quintana but I dont think people observed a few things I noticed.After watching margarito beat cintron down tonight I was reminded of his fight with williams,It was an all action fight and very busy.Its one of the rare times margarito got out hussled.If the williams that fought quintana were to fight margarito that night he would have been stoped.I keep reading things about quintana's style and how it was difficult for williams,I really dont think thats the case.williams was beaten to the punch and extremely slugish during the fight and thats unlike him,he didint throw alot and he was slow.I think williams is having a hard time making 147 and simply drainded himself to make weight and put on damn near 20 pounds after the weight in.

I think sometimes people jump the gun and write people off,Ouintana beat williams and fought a good fight but seriously he wasent throwing the artilery that margarito did when he fought williams,sometimes people fight bad fights or certain circumstances casue a fighter to perform badly.I just think we should give williams a chance and hopefully he can make weight without killing himself and fight how he normally does(fast and trowing alot of punches)

2. GlassJaw SBC hustler.

3. mschatz Hamma: I has it

*flips off GJ*

Williams will beat Quintana in the rematch and get back into contention at wleter weight

4. dengar Orange Belt

Basically. Too bad for Quintana that he couldn't get a bigger money fight while he had the belt.

5. Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

Who said Williams wasn't a threat? Boxing fans are so fickle. When he 'beat' Margarito, everyone was calling him the next big thing. Future P4P star...blah blah blah. One loss, to a crafty southpaw and he's thrown on the pile? Right.

He holds a win over the guy who's arguably the best welterweight on the planet.

6. lugubriousduck Banned Banned

Margarito beats Williams in the rematch.

7. BobbyBrez Brown Belt

He never beat Margarito, regardless of what a few eyeballs in the expensive seats thought.

8. Tam-Tam Management vs Labour

I agree, but the fight was close. That decision was rail thin, IMO and I can't complain that Antonio didnt get his hand raised. What I object to is the idiocy preached by a miriade of mindless fans, projecting an untruth and making it worse.

That those same fans then abandon their guy (in this case, WIlliams) the second he loses, makes that pill all the more bitter. You're all a bunch of fucking scum.

9. DAZEDJELLYLEGS2 Purple Belt

He is still a threat. He just isnt the secong coming of christ like many people thought.

I expect to see him bag another title or two perhaps.

10. DAZEDJELLYLEGS2 Purple Belt

Exactly. The pendulum swings far and wide with many fans.

11. GlassJaw SBC hustler.

^ Ain't it the truth.

12. BobbyBrez Brown Belt

13. DaKine460 Green Belt

i think he's still up there, he had one bad fight but he will prob get his belt back and face the loser of cotto margarito

14. prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

he should fight cintron. for all we know cotto and margarito may need extended vacations after the fight.

15. ssx Brown Belt

I agree William's after he beats Quintana in the rematch, would be a good fight against Cintron.

16. prontostar Gymmy TUNDAH!

that'll give kermit a chance to fight some creampuff to gain some confidence back.

17. deadpool H***an Chop!!

Williams didn't look like he did when he fought Margarito or even when he fought Mitchell. He's one tall ass mofo and I still see him as a favorite against most WW.

18. ncmmarookie** Banned Banned

William's did go in to beat Quintana. He went in to not lose. He figured him out much too late. Williams was doing some things that work late in the fight but he was much too damaged. I say he knocks out Quintana in the rematch.

19. BrooklynBomber The Champ is Here

Someone with the physical tools of Paul Williams will always be a threat of 147.

20. lugubriousduck Banned Banned

You guys are not giving Quintana enough credit. He gave a masterful performance and I personally feel he can do it again if he trains hard enough. And I don't know about Williams having a off night. He couldn't get off because he had to constantly shift angles to find Quintana (unable to establish a solid base to launch his onslaught). Plus, Williams was eating lefts all night (Quintana couldn't miss). Williams only gets off well when he has opponent standing right in front of him. Williams looked impressive in his last four fights because his opponents were there to be hit. Mathysse, Pakau, and Margarito only know how to come foward (Mitchell was just too damn small for Williams).

But don't get me wrong though. Williams is still a threat to anyone with his physical attributes. And I still feel he would give Mayweather a run for his money if he uses his range and aggression properly. It's just unfortunate that we know the fight will never happen.