Patriot Games (1992) - Sean Bean gets real mad at Harrison Ford and stuff

G

Guestx

Patriot_Games_poster_42713_Medium.jpg

Anyone remember this one? It was back during Harrison Ford's tenure as Jack Ryan.

Basically, Harrison Ford foils an IRA plot to kill a member of the British royal family, killing Sean Bean's younger brother in the process. And Sean Bean gets mad and goes after Ford and his family. That's the plot in a nutshell.

I have always been aware of Ford's two Jack Ryan movies--Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger--but I had not watched either of them until tonight. All in all I thought it was pretty good. The plot is somewhat slow to develop but the film remains interesting through to the fairly thrilling and well-executed climax.

It's interesting to go back and see how Ford's career developed. He had that phase from the late 70s to the end of the 80s where he was the young, brash guy. And then in the 90s he becomes the more mature, grown up guy that we see in movies like this one, The Fugitive and Air Force One.

This film is nothing groundbreaking but if you like Harrison Ford and haven't seen it then I'd say it's worth a look.

7.5/10

Sean talked about how he had to film the death scene three different times. It's bad enough that he dies in every movie, but he actually had to die three times in this movie.

Which did you like better of his two Jack Ryan movies?

Sean talked about how he had to film the death scene three different times. It's bad enough that he dies in every movie, but he actually had to die three times in this movie.

Ha ha. Pretty interesting, thanks.

This is the first one I've watched.

But if you want me to compare it to the other non-Ford Jack Ryan movies I've seen, I'd say that The Hunt for Red October is better than Patriot Games by a pretty wide margin, but Patriot Games may be better than The Sum of All Fears. I dunno, I haven't seen The Sum of All Fears in a long time but I don't remember it being great.

Your thoughts?

Clear and Present Danger is awesome. The marines (or whatever they were) getting sold out and ambushed, and Ryan going in illegally to rent a helicopter and assist Willem Dafoe in saving them is great. Plus, the baseball bat scene. And then there's the "I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!! HOW DARE YOU!!!"

This is the first one I've watched.

But if you want me to compare it to the other non-Ford Jack Ryan movies I've seen, I'd say that The Hunt for Red October is better than Patriot Games by a pretty wide margin, but Patriot Games may be better than The Sum of All Fears. I dunno, I haven't seen The Sum of All Fears in a long time but I don't remember it being great.

Your thoughts?

I actually never even knew that Hunt for Red October was a Jack Ryan novel. Lies... I've been blinded by lies...

I actually never even knew that Hunt for Red October was a Jack Ryan novel. Lies... I've been blinded by lies...

Really? Well yes, it is.

For the record, there are five Jack Ryan films:

The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I think a TV show is currently in the works as well, if I'm remembering correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really. Well yes, it is.

For the record, there are five Jack Ryan films:

The Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games
The Sum of All Fears
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I think a TV show is currently in the works as well, if I'm remembering correctly.

Hunt for Red October I barely recall - don't think I've even seen it all. It probably is the most well reviewed of the bunch. The Ben Affleck ones are obviously a joke for the inclusion of Ben Affleck and generally just looking like Hollywood blockbusters.

Harrison Ford is definitely the best actor to have played the role, and those films succeeded well as mixed drama and action stories.

Hunt for Red October I barely recall - don't think I've even seen it all. It probably is the most well reviewed of the bunch. The Ben Affleck ones are obviously a joke for the inclusion of Ben Affleck and generally just looking like Hollywood blockbusters.

Harrison Ford is definitely the best actor to have played the role, and those films succeeded well as mixed drama and action stories.

You really need to see The Hunt for Red October. It's a great film, even if Baldwin is not the best Jack Ryan.

It's not an action movie at all. Pure political thriller with a lot of tension. Sean Connery is in it and he kicks ass. Sam Neill also shows up.

You really need to see The Hunt for Red October. It's a great film, even if Baldwin is not the best Jack Ryan.

It's not an action movie at all. Pure political thriller with a lot of tension. Sean Connery is in it and he kicks ass. Sam Neill also shows up.

Yeah, all three are regular contestants in the celebrity fight matchups my buddies and I discuss (far, far too much). Not really top 20 guys, but they're up in the mix.

Anyone remember this one? It was back during Harrison Ford's tenure as Jack Ryan.​

Basically, Harrison Ford foils an IRA plot to kill a member of the British royal family, killing Sean Bean's younger brother in the process. And Sean Bean gets mad and goes after Ford and his family. That's the plot in a nutshell.

I have always been aware of Ford's two Jack Ryan movies--Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger--but I had not watched either of them until tonight. All in all I thought it was pretty good. The plot is somewhat slow to develop but the film remains interesting through to the fairly thrilling and well-executed climax.

It's interesting to go back and see how Ford's career developed. He had that phase from the late 70s to the end of the 80s where he was the young, brash guy. And then in the 90s he becomes the more mature, grown up guy that we see in movies like this one, The Fugitive and Air Force One.

This film is nothing groundbreaking but if you like Harrison Ford and haven't seen it then I'd say it's worth a look.

7.5/10
[/MEDIA]

Solid flick, I was actually working part time after school in a wee video shop back when it came out, used to replay the shit over and over lol. VHS days were fun lol.

Hunt for red october takes all those other movies to suplex city
I'd have to agree. I did really like Patriot Games though. Not as good but I dug it.

Damn dude, definitely worth rewatching.

Think it's John Krasinski thats playing Jack Ryan in the small screen adaption @shadow_priest_x . Not sure if it's a mini or a full seasoned show though, have yet to imdb it.

VHS days were fun lol.

Indeed. I actually bought up a bunch of VHS tapes a few years ago and went through a phase where I watched them regularly just for the nostalgia.

Think it's John Krasinski thats playing Jack Ryan in the small screen adaption @shadow_priest_x . Not sure if it's a mini or a full seasoned show though, have yet to imdb it.

John Krasinski, really. . . Hmm. That might actually work. He was actually pretty good as a special ops soldier in 13 Hours.

Indeed. I actually bought up a bunch of VHS tapes a few years ago and went through a phase where I watched them regularly just for the nostalgia.

John Krasinski, really. . . Hmm. That might actually work. He was actually pretty good as a special ops soldier in 13 Hours.

He was indeed, I was actually pleasantly surprised by his showing and the movie itself. He definitely sold me that he shook the mold of which I was accustomed to from seeing him in The Office.

Seems like you've been watching a lot of films involving the 'ra @shadow_priest_x ;)

I take it 'ra means IRA?

I think watching The Foreigner was in fact what inspired me to go ahead and pull the trigger on Patriot Games. I thought they would make for a good double-feature and indeed they did.

He was indeed, I was actually pleasantly surprised by his showing and the movie itself. He definitely sold me that he shook the mold of which I was accustomed to from seeing him in The Office.

Totally agree. Michael Bay can make good movies when he really wants to. I thought 13 Hours was one of that year's best movies. I actually was so impressed with it that I immediately went out and bought it on Blu-Ray after watching it for the first time.

Back