Patrick Cote moving to welterweight

Dammit, now who's gonna be the sexiest guy at MW?

Lets hope that Cote-Sexyama is the first fight back for Sexyama after he heals up to truly decide who the WW sexy-GOAT is.

It is now a clusterfuck of Tristar guys at WW -_-

if he couldn't make it at mw, i don't think he will fare better at ww. unless someone is dropping down because they were intentionally fighting too heavy (getting onto tuf, for example) then it almost never works out for them.

I always thought he could drop to WW. He has some fat around the midsection he could easily lose. Cote vs Alves

if he couldn't make it at mw, i don't think he will fare better at ww. unless someone is dropping down because they were intentionally fighting too heavy (getting onto tuf, for example) then it almost never works out for them.

Michihiro Omigawa was a lackluster LW who dropped down to FW, and soon went on a very respectable 8-1 run, beating Nam Phan (TKO'ing him, as well, which's something Leonard Garcia, Mike Brown, Jimmy Hettes, and Dennis Siver were all unable to do), Marlon Sandro, Hatsu Hioki, and Hiroyuki Takaya in the process, and almost unanimously becoming a top 5 FW in the process.

Dropping down a weight class can be a career resurgence for a lot of fighters, and Cote has never been a big MW, especially not the kind that would be incapable of making WW, or would have to severely drain their body in order to do so.

He's gonna look like he just got out of Auschwitz.

As the weight cutting techniques some cutting edge fighters like Chael use filter down to other fighters we will see this same thing. I expect to see more MW moving to WW. More WW moving to LW, etc and looking almost the same as before.

You mean like Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia?

He's gonna look like he just got out of Auschwitz.

Homer_hedge.gif

I see him being able to do decently against most guys at WW. The higher level wrestlers may give him fits though

Exactly right.

History has taught us that it is an extreme rare example that someone who drops due to not doing as good at the weight class above rarely does better in the weight class below. There are very few examples other then guys who were fighting in a bigger division because they had no choice (to get on TUF, or because the lower class was not around).

THe only division where there is an exception to this rule is Middle Weight. Mediocre or failing LHW's can drop and pretty much be assured of almost instant top 10 status and main event status in that division and a title shot. It is the rare exception of a lhw dropping and not achieving wayyyy more in the MW division because that division has ben so traditionally weak.

You mean like Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia?

Why do people say this?

Nate Marquart was the #2 MW who fought for the strap at MW.
Damian Maia was a perrenial top 5 MW who fought for the belt.

THey have dropped to MW and are not as accomplished at WW as they were at MW. Only once they get perennially ranked at WW and fight for the belt can they call their WW equal to their MW belt.

SOme really dumb people on this site point to Demian subbing top 20 WW's as proof that WW is weak which is laughable. Demian subbed top 20 MW's too.

Guys who drop usually do about the same in the division below. That means Nate and Maia should still rise but until they do better at WW (win the belt) they did nothing more at WW then they did at MW.

Dennis Siver has moved down recently and is doing great.

Good Luck to Cote

@Funkoar... Cote is not a Tristar guy, he is with BTT Canada. Not that him and GSP aren't close or anything but there is no conflict of gyms there.

Back