• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Patricio Freire will dominate Sergio Pettis

Logan M

Blood for the Blood Gods
@purple
Reaction score
I just want to put this thread out there so I’ve got my strong opinion on record wrong or not. I really don’t think this fight will be very competitive. Pettis is a very skilled and slick striker but Pitbull is as skilled with magnitudes more power. Patricio is a consummate professional and I think he will make the weight easily. Sergio is just too small and even if they were the same size he simply doesn’t have the pop to get Freire off him. If it goes to the ground it will just be positional dominance by Pitbull but unlikely a submission due to Pettis’s great ground game.

I just want to put this thread out there so I’ve got my strong opinion on record wrong or not. I really don’t think this fight will be very competitive. Pettis is a very skilled and slick striker but Pitbull is as skilled with magnitudes more power. Patricio is a consummate professional and I think he will make the weight easily. Sergio is just too small and even if they were the same size he simply doesn’t have the pop to get Freire off him. If it goes to the ground it will just be positional dominance by Pitbull but unlikely a submission due to Pettis’s great ground game.

What's the strong opinion here? Is Sergio Pettis even a top 5 Bantamweight in Bellator? I assume Patricio is heavily favored, Sergio is a solid fighter but was always best at Flyweight, Sergio having the belt at 135 is like Patricky having it at 155...a joke.

Assuming he makes the weight okay he should be favoured for sure imo.

What's the strong opinion here? Is Sergio Pettis even a top 5 Bantamweight in Bellator? I assume Patricio is heavily favored, Sergio is a solid fighter but was always best at Flyweight, Sergio having the belt at 135 is like Patricky having it at 155...a joke.

Nothing like Patricky having the title really. Patricky won a vacant title against Peter Queally after his brother vacated it for him. Sergio clearly beat Archuleta who was a legitimate champion and defended against a legit challenger in Horiguchi.

Nothing like Patricky having the title really. Patricky won a vacant title against Peter Queally after his brother vacated it for him. Sergio clearly beat Archuleta who was a legitimate champion and defended against a legit challenger in Horiguchi.

Sergio is a legit champion. He just had a monster decide to come down to his weight. As you said he beat a very credible challender!

That Gucci win was as a fluke as they come

I think he is. I don't think he's the best, that's Patchy Mix but not top 5? That's a stretch to me. It's interesting to me how many people don't accept Pettis as a real bantamweight when the optics kind of show otherwise. Look at his fights in the UFC when he was competing at 125 and look at him now. It's like Peahead Poirier of the early 2010s vs Salon Style of today. The guy's a bantamweight these days and not even an undersized one.

I think unless Patricio really depletes himself and it's a Cejudo/Dillashaw situation (as someone previously mentioned ITT) he'll win, but I don't see Sergio going down quietly.

It all depends on how the weight cut goes for Patricio. It seems like Patricio is going about doing the weight cut the right way but we won't know until the fight takes place. If he has an easy weight cut he should be able to dominate Sergio if the weight cut was bad it'll be a very close fight.

Patricio is a legend and is still an elite fighter, although he is slipping lately. To be 36 still competing at this level is incredible. I'd attribute it to his experience at this point. He's not as quick and powerful as he used to be, but his composure and ring/cage control is top notch. He is able to control the distance and the range effectively and pick his counters very well. I do see him stifling Pettis for 25 mins and controlling the distance and countering his way to a 25 min decision like he's done in his last few fights. He really has no business doing this at his age but the experience and composure is just too much for the guys he's facing. Really remarkable stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El Diego
Back