• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PATH OF EXILE Official Thread, v1: Serious Improvements Coming Out

For everyone that plays on PC, we need to group up at some point and shred some maps.

Last edited:
For everyone that plays on PC, we need to group up at some point and shred some maps.

I'd be down for that sometime but I'm worried my connection would be kind of shit if I'm playing with people all in the States.

For the first time this game is approaching the popularity of Diablo III. It looks like it will surpass Diablo's playerbase possibly this month or the next.

For the first time this game is approaching the popularity of Diablo III. It looks like it will surpass Diablo's playerbase possibly this month or the next.
I think it is madness it took this long.

It's a complicated game. The transition to merc difficulty used to stonewall most new players and drive them away. Moving the merc resist decrease to end of the story is a huge boon to new players and should drive the numbers up by itself. Unless you are competing for ladder d3 is a kid glove game.

Also I Vaal'd my piscators and esh's mirror at the end of my last two play sessions and ended up with a culling strike pisc and a +1 to socketed gem level mirror. That's probably the luckiest pair of things to ever happen to me in this game as that's a 50 ex set of vaals if I sold both (well rolled to boot).

I played the shit out of D3, usually in hopes that it got better. it never really did. I dabbled in POE years ago and it was OK at the time, but it has come a long way. It is definitely the better game than D3.

Like others have said, POE is complex and overwhelming. It is a grindy game, more so than D3 or other similar games.

My biggest complaint right now is almost all items are trash. it isn't worth IDing yellows, and there are only a handful of uniques worth anything. I am smashing maps daily, but it seems I am only collecting orbs to buy what I really want later.

I played the shit out of D3, usually in hopes that it got better. it never really did. I dabbled in POE years ago and it was OK at the time, but it has come a long way. It is definitely the better game than D3.

Like others have said, POE is complex and overwhelming. It is a grindy game, more so than D3 or other similar games.

My biggest complaint right now is almost all items are trash. it isn't worth IDing yellows, and there are only a handful of uniques worth anything. I am smashing maps daily, but it seems I am only collecting orbs to buy what I really want later.

It is worth identifying rares. Sure, you strike out like 95% of the time but the meta has made it real easy separating the wheat from the chaff. Any non weapon item with 60+ Life and 60% total ele res is worth some chaos.

Set up a premium stash tab with a buyout of 5c and one with a buyout of 3c. Throw your rares in 5c tab. If they don't sell, move them to the 3c tab. If they still don't sell, vendor them. If you get instant whispers for something you put in there take a minute to actually examine the item and readjust the price if necessary.

It is worth identifying rares. Sure, you strike out like 95% of the time but the meta has made it real easy separating the wheat from the chaff. Any non weapon item with 60+ Life and 60% total ele res is worth some chaos.

Set up a premium stash tab with a buyout of 5c and one with a buyout of 3c. Throw your rares in 5c tab. If they don't sell, move them to the 3c tab. If they still don't sell, vendor them. If you get instant whispers for something you put in there take a minute to actually examine the item and readjust the price if necessary.
Why does it need to be a premium tab?

Also I Vaal'd my piscators and esh's mirror at the end of my last two play sessions and ended up with a culling strike pisc and a +1 to socketed gem level mirror. That's probably the luckiest pair of things to ever happen to me in this game as that's a 50 ex set of vaals if I sold both (well rolled to boot).

Im so jelly, Im loving my kb/b wander but since I got perfectly even elemental resists (for The Wise Oak flask) changing my gear is difficult..
Ive been trying to roll an ele wand to upgrade from Piscator's but its damn hard to replace.

Im so jelly, Im loving my kb/b wander but since I got perfectly even elemental resists (for The Wise Oak flask) changing my gear is difficult..
Ive been trying to roll an ele wand to upgrade from Piscator's but its damn hard to replace.

Thanks man! So jazzed it usually takes me a little more work for my items.

I highly encourage you to read the kb build labeled "currency hoarder" (can find by googling currency hoarder Poe). He points out why there is not really an advantage to going for a wand besides piscator if you are using esh's mirror and focusing on lightning dmg. Even an 80 ex wand is hardly an upgrade and then there is culling strike! I also like that he doesn't recommend using wise oak as you just stated it's such a pain!!!

I like to read all the builds of one type before playing one and I think that particular guy had the best mesh of ideas for fluidity and transitions to being OP. I've definitely never played a build that could smash t15-16 as fast as this one and I'm wearing biscos, Goldwyrm and sadimas while also managing to continue moving the exp bar.

Thanks man! So jazzed it usually takes me a little more work for my items.

I highly encourage you to read the kb build labeled "currency hoarder" (can find by googling currency hoarder Poe). He points out why there is not really an advantage to going for a wand besides piscator if you are using esh's mirror and focusing on lightning dmg. Even an 80 ex wand is hardly an upgrade and then there is culling strike! I also like that he doesn't recommend using wise oak as you just stated it's such a pain!!!

I like to read all the builds of one type before playing one and I think that particular guy had the best mesh of ideas for fluidity and transitions to being OP. I've definitely never played a build that could smash t15-16 as fast as this one and I'm wearing biscos, Goldwyrm and sadimas while also managing to continue moving the exp bar.

Well Im not using an Esh's mirror, have a 6L Qotf and using a Lacquered Buckler with 1600 eva for the speed boost. I managed to get to 5k HP and 80/80/80 ele resists so Wise oak is pretty disgusting, need to get a vinktars/dying sun as well. I dont even have my uber ascendancy points (missing 2 trials and been too lazy to hop in the master sharing channel to finish), and I still completely
demolish all maps. Bosses are rough but my Lacerate Slayer is on a separate account so I just box him and throw him in to melt bosses and get 1 map closer to 1337.

Well Im not using an Esh's mirror, have a 6L Qotf and using a Lacquered Buckler with 1600 eva for the speed boost. I managed to get to 5k HP and 80/80/80 ele resists so Wise oak is pretty disgusting, need to get a vinktars/dying sun as well. I dont even have my uber ascendancy points (missing 2 trials and been too lazy to hop in the master sharing channel to finish), and I still completely
demolish all maps. Bosses are rough but my Lacerate Slayer is on a separate account so I just box him and throw him in to melt bosses and get 1 map closer to 1337.

Ugh you got me thinking about leveling a golemancer on another account to boss kill while I'm clearing on my wander. Would be so fast and chill for guardians lol.

Btw do you use a super boost Eva pot? Don't have much of a need for shield with Eva with a 6k Eva potion if you are pathfinder.

This is kind of confusing. The meta is speed meta. Picking up rares isn't really a great way to consistently earn. Mapping as fast as possible with biscos on and basically only picking up currency and valuable uniques is the most consistent/fast way to earn. Maybe you pick up rare rings but that's it. Wasting time on rares slows you down a lot.

This is kind of confusing. The meta is speed meta. Picking up rares isn't really a great way to consistently earn. Mapping as fast as possible with biscos on and basically only picking up currency and valuable uniques is the most consistent/fast way to earn. Maybe you pick up rare rings but that's it. Wasting time on rares slows you down a lot.

If you're playing that kind of build, sure, no argument.. Not everyone is playing raider/pathfinder wander or herald bomber in full iiq gear though. Considering the meta (wander) it makes sense to pick up every imbued wand you find in case you hit high ele damage, AS, and crit/crit multi. If you do, boom, you're rich.

7uLjZHU.png

If you're playing that kind of build, sure, no argument.. Not everyone is playing raider/pathfinder wander or herald bomber in full iiq gear though. Considering the meta (wander) it makes sense to pick up every imbued wand you find in case you hit high ele damage, AS, and crit/crit multi. If you do, boom, you're rich.

7uLjZHU.png

Your point is still off. The meta is speed meta no matter what build you are running. It has been since before atlas of worlds when they nerfed seasonal iiq/iir. There are 100 builds that can go plenty fast that have nothing to do with being a ranger.

A brief list: rf, rf totems, dark pact, dark pact totems, quad frost totems, every bow build, every wand build, cyclone slayer/zerker, ek nova.

There are tons more with lots of flavors in between. If you want to build currency you go fast and don't spend time on tons of trash rares. Maybe you do pickup Wands if you want but you need to have a fast very strict loot filter.

This league I played a lab farmer totemer, self cast rf, golemancer for boss farming to build huge currency when the loot was worth a ton early and then transition to wander.

since even my last post was deleted (lolz, i don't even know why this thread exists, like 100 relevant poe posts were axed over 2-3 threads...), it might be fun to twist the knife.

if you care more about leveling than anything, the above advice is good.

if you care about gaining wealth, leaving (relevant base) rares on the ground is a great way to not succeed. it's like leaving money on the ground. it's especially bad if you're picking up transmutes/augs/alchs, but not good base weapons at ~ilvl 73 (tyrannical) or at least 77 (flaring) and armors/jewelry at ~ ilvl 72 (t2 res). caster ilvls will vary greatly.

for the last bunch of leagues, i found at least 1 mid level rare that netted 25 ex or more. ie: found a gg ambusher in an ashen wood (t7) map in breach that fetched 75 ex. it was ilvl 76 tops.

hell, for weeks 2-4 (5?) of harbinger, even just picking up rares for the chaos recipes was a great way to generate wealth, due to the absurd c: ex ratios.

later in leagues (ie: now), the chaos recipe may or may not be worth it, with c:ex at 70+:1 and quickly rising to meet standard's ratio.

if you end up interested in trying pvp out, i can point you toward a few people who get 3v3s and ctf games going on harbinger. or if you're established (figuring the n00bs are starting in the harbinger league), i put together a lot of ctf games/sarn fuckery on standard. standard generally has a much better pvp scene

umm... it's already bypassed d3's popularity. even poe's stupid reddit page eclipsed diablo's months ago. iirc, poe had more active players as of the 2.0 launch. and since then, breach had even more active players while i suspect diablo saw less.

i'm pretty sure i mentioned this already, but it was probably in one of the many deleted posts. iirc, someone tried to argue based on poe's steam numbers, but didn't realize that almost everyone (~90%) play with the stand-alone client (note: if you're reading this and playing through steam, you should probably stop. the stand-alone client has better performance)

i'd honestly be surprised if poe didn't have 5x as many players online as d3, at this point.

trading is almost always going to be the best way to get what you want, but crafting it yourself is sorta what the intended way was to be. essences made it a lot (imo, too much) easier.

people tend to be too scared to use their orbs, but exalts (and mirrors) aside, it's often not a bad idea. i wouldn't just go chaos spamming unless you have a high ilvl base and a plan, though.

Last edited:
Your point is still off. The meta is speed meta no matter what build you are running. It has been since before atlas of worlds when they nerfed seasonal iiq/iir. There are 100 builds that can go plenty fast that have nothing to do with being a ranger.

A brief list: rf, rf totems, dark pact, dark pact totems, quad frost totems, every bow build, every wand build, cyclone slayer/zerker, ek nova.

There are tons more with lots of flavors in between. If you want to build currency you go fast and don't spend time on tons of trash rares. Maybe you do pickup Wands if you want but you need to have a fast very strict loot filter.

This league I played a lab farmer totemer, self cast rf, golemancer for boss farming to build huge currency when the loot was worth a ton early and then transition to wander.

I'm confident I'm not far off. KB/B Raider/PF/x Wander is the meta build. Every Imbued Wand you skip this league is one less pull on the slot machine. All I'm saying is if your cognizant of the strong builds you can pick up the 1 or 2 relevant rares that might drop in your map and not be slowed down significantly.

umm... it's already bypassed d3's popularity. even poe's stupid reddit page eclipsed diablo's months ago. iirc, poe had more active players as of the 2.0 launch. and since then, breach had even more active players while i suspect diablo saw less.

i'm pretty sure i mentioned this already, but it was probably in one of the many deleted posts. iirc, someone tried to argue based on poe's steam numbers, but didn't realize that almost everyone (~90%) play with the stand-alone client (note: if you're reading this and playing through steam, you should probably stop. the stand-alone client has better performance)

i'd honestly be surprised if poe didn't have 5x as many players online as d3, at this point.
That's because you're ignorant. You already lost this debate a handful of times, badly, and yet were so obnoxiously determined not to concede that other random posters in the forum were literally telling you to just "shut the fuck up".

There's no need to revisit the dozens of metrics (like total ownership or shared Battle.net subscriptions which are presently at an all-time high) already cited. Newzoo has quickly become one of the most esteemed tracking service in the world, now.
https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-20-core-pc-games/
Path of Exile's first market was Steam, and Steam is the western market. This is the first time it has ever cracked the list, at #20, and it still trails D3. D3 has been a mainstay on this list since the list first appeared in May 2014, debuting at #9, a full two years after Diablo's #1 bestselling PC launch in history (and a 2013 65% crash in playerbase), and appearing as high as #12 the previous month this July.

I didn't come in here to slap you around, again. I came in to inform players of the game about this momentous imminent eclipse.

Back