Passing the Guard

Deus_Nova

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have trouble passing the guard, heh.

Anyone know any really effective techniques to pass the guard?

The only one's I really do are trying to stand up and pry his legs and using my elbows to push against his knees.

well, then I'd suggest the technique that always works for me called "going to class you lazy motherfucker."

Do you have trouble just breaking his guard or passing?

Blake Bowman said:
well, then I'd suggest the technique that always works for me called "going to class you lazy motherfucker."
I just started to again, but I couldn't go in the summer because of my busy work schedule.

Where is guardpasser or sherdogmutt when you need them, they both got excellent descriptions it like I'm there.

I'm terrible at describing stuff but I would say tell your instructor or show him and he will tell you what you are doing wrong.

There are so many passes to do I just don't know where to start. Plus is it gi or no gi. Bjj competition, submission grappling or mma? What is the opponent's grips and legs? No gi underhook left with over right in a butterfly? Closed guard with his right hand on your right collar? Experience levels?

My favorite that works for me, and is pretty high percentage.

Break the guard and then immediately get both of your arms hugged around both of their legs at the knees. You will be hugging around the outside of their leg, in case it's not clear. Grab one of your wrists with the other hand together and make sure your grip is as tight as possible, you want the guy's knees to be as close together as possible. Next, stack him up and then sprawl back a little so that your weight is crushing his legs and body. Then, you're going to make your way around your opponent's legs to sidemount by "throwing" his legs to the side as you get to sidemount.

This pass is great, but just make sure they don't get underhooks on you or they don't hook their legs inside your legs (like butterfly guard). It works great.

Or, here's another good one...

After breaking the guard, underhook one of his legs and pin the other leg to the ground by pushing down on the knee with your hand. Then, slide your knee over his leg that is pinned to the ground while at the same time grabbing the back of his head with the arm that used to be pinning his leg down. You can work your legs over to sidemount pretty easily after this, but make sure you keep the underhook on his leg and keep grabbing the back of his head.

Yes, that Passing the Guard book is so awesome. I love that book, best book in my house.

flyingknee16 said:
Or, here's another good one...

After breaking the guard, underhook one of his legs and pin the other leg to the ground by pushing down on the knee with your hand. Then, slide your knee over his leg that is pinned to the ground while at the same time grabbing the back of his head with the arm that used to be pinning his leg down. You can work your legs over to sidemount pretty easily after this, but make sure you keep the underhook on his leg and keep grabbing the back of his head.

another great option when you initiate this pass is to go for a kneebar (instead of completing the pass) by throwing a roundkick around the leg that you underhooked (as opposed to that which you are pinning) with your opposite-side leg, close your legs as you were applying your guard on the guys upper thigh, and arch back.

An easy guard pass: pop up, walk and lean forward (stack him) and continue till you lose your own balance forward, base out on both hands, keep walking forward rolling all the way over, catch a reverse heel hook, or scramble for his back.

i can think of a bunch more but theyr too annoying to type and you prolly wouldnt understand it, just go to class more and get some books or dvds.

flyingknee16 said:
My favorite that works for me, and is pretty high percentage.

Break the guard and then immediately get both of your arms hugged around both of their legs at the knees. You will be hugging around the outside of their leg, in case it's not clear. Grab one of your wrists with the other hand together and make sure your grip is as tight as possible, you want the guy's knees to be as close together as possible. Next, stack him up and then sprawl back a little so that your weight is crushing his legs and body. Then, you're going to make your way around your opponent's legs to sidemount by "throwing" his legs to the side as you get to sidemount.

This pass is great, but just make sure they don't get underhooks on you or they don't hook their legs inside your legs (like butterfly guard). It works great.

a variation of the this pass.

when you brake their legs reach under both legs and pull them to you. this way you are not breaking your posture leaning in on them.
say you have both hand under the legs and you are going to pass to your right:
with your right hand, reach across his chest and grab his right shoulder/trap.
sprawl out hard, to stack him up and put a lot of pressure on him.
while still sprawling inch slowly towards your right. don't go too fast because being stacked like that is miserable to your opponent.
keep inching around until you pass his legs and are in side control. most people will help you pass because they can't handle being stacked like that.

Blake Bowman said:

hahahaha. exactly. but if you want to be good at it work on that and only that. I used to suck at passing the gaurd so bad that I used to just let people sweep me and go for the pass in the transition. I finally decided to actually learn how to really do it after I stopped being lazy. When you roll for now start in someones gaurd until you get it right. I do the same one where you stand and pass with there closed gaurd and I can pass everytime.
You aint shit if you can pass someones gaurd

Nice passes guys. Although I know this kind of thread has been done before, it's nice for different people to explain different passes since everyone focuses on different intricacies of their techniques which is always good to know.

Sit with your knee on their crotch. Work shit from there. Be careful.

I like to try this pass: When somebody is in open guard, I just jump onto their thigh and land on it with my knee. Being as I'm big, they generally fall to the side before I even get there to make sure I don't crush them and it's an easy pass from here. If they try to take it....I crush them with my knee to their thigh.

Just remember there are generally five stages to passing the guard when you're not relying on attributes

i) Opening the Guard
ii) Leg Control
iii) Hip Control
iv) Upper Body Control
v) Finishing the Pass

If you're having trouble try, figure out at which stage the problem is and see what you might do to fix it.

front flip land on one hand and then do 360 spin to side mount.

Or just go to practice and work on your base... the techniques you have been shown work... you just arnt making them work correctly... IT TAKES TIME.. PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Gsoares2 said:
front flip land on one hand and then do 360 spin to side mount.
we have a kid that has a nice pass kinda like this...
you bury your head next to their hip on the mat, control their hips and do a 270 head spin to side mount.

as for passing the guard...i'm a big guy so I end up on top a lot, so my guard pass is good.
but my guard sucks..

I would listen to Cojofl (since their is a lot involved in passing the guard, if you could be more specific on what your having problems with)
i) Opening the Guard
ii) Leg Control
iii) Hip Control
iv) Upper Body Control
v) Finishing the Pass

If you're having trouble try, figure out at which stage the problem is and see what you might do to fix it.

Back