Passing the guard

USAMMAFAN

Proud member of the "Reality based community"
Reaction score
I have been having some trouble passing the guard lately sparring. Especially against tall lanky guys who use their legs and hips well.

I can usually open their legs, but have difficulty passing them for side control, etc.

What are the high percentage no gi guard passes you guys use, the ones that seem to always work that is.

no gi i usually just try and get a knee thru the middle and slide thru or double underhook both legs and use that pass.

TJS said:
double underhook both legs and use that pass.

double underhook and throw them to the side?

If you do the knee slide make sure you get an underhook on the opposite side your are passing to...that will really help keep them down and from slipping to your back.

Ok, im gonna break this down because i know some about it, and i know how hard it is for someone to pass in mma that doesnt know how to strike.

Passing MMA

tip #1 Whenever your opponent has you in his closed guard, hes just saying "Let me hold you while you punch me." The closed guard is pretty much useless offensivly in mma. Some guys are good at holding an opponent to get the stand up, but its looked down upon. The easiest way to open the guard that I have found is to bring your head up and your back straight, but still put your weight on his hips to slow him down (with your hips, dont put your hands on his hips!!!), and so you dont have to worry about being off balance for a sit up sweep. Now there are 4 major punches that you can do from the guard, the hook, hammerfist from above, hammerfist from the side, and the straight. The downsides to the punches is that if your weight and technique is wrong, something bad can happen for each one. The hook = triangle choke hammerfist from above = take the back hammerfist from the side= armbar and straight = armbar.

tip #2 When striking from the top position in the guard, the bicep is the major muscle exerting force and causing impact (for short hard shots that get people to open their guard, not KO guard shots, that involves much more muscle). Always try to punch like your a t-rex, keep those arms in close if your just striking to open his guard. If your trying to knock him out, you must be more open and looping, ala Fedor, but thats not what your trying to do.

tip #3 walk your feet up, so your butt is in the air, your knees are slightly bent, alot of your weight is on his hips, and your looking straight down into his face. (Mark Kerr was a master of this position) Rain down blows, he must unlock his legs for him to do anything. You want your knees bent because if he goes for the ankle grab sweep, you can drive your knees foward, rendering it useless and hit him in the face. And when I say knees slightly bent, I dont mean in this shape ">" the feet are the farthest part of your body back, your weight is on his hips and thats how the sweep doesnt work on you.

tip #4 once the legs are unlocked, grab hit foot at the bottom of his shin, and push it underneath your hip, then come back down. He should have half butterfly guard on you now. Take the hand on the same side of the trapt leg (you trap his left leg = right hand and visa versa) and place it on his knee of the trapt leg. Now take your head and put it to the opposite side of the trapt leg. Push on the leg, holding the leg in place, and bring your hips over his leg. You should blow by his guard. This is easier if you throw your bodyweight in the air and come crashing down on his trapt leg, minimizing his chances of getting guard back. I hope this makes sense. Ask me if you have any questions on anything. This is my mma pass I use all the time, minimizes submissions for the bottom guy, and doesnt make you too venerable to strikes.

Passing No-Gi grappling. Just see tip #4 and use that move, but without punches.

Ill try to find more moves I use, sorry I could only post the one for right now.

Egg Nog said:
Ok, im gonna break this down because i know some about it, and i know how hard it is for someone to pass in mma that doesnt know how to strike.

Passing MMA

tip #1 Whenever your opponent has you in his closed guard, hes just saying "Let me hold you while you punch me." The closed guard is pretty much useless offensivly in mma. Some guys are good at holding an opponent to get the stand up, but its looked down upon. The easiest way to open the guard that I have found is to bring your head up and your back straight, but still put your weight on his hips to slow him down (with your hips, dont put your hands on his hips!!!), and so you dont have to worry about being off balance for a sit up sweep. Now there are 4 major punches that you can do from the guard, the hook, hammerfist from above, hammerfist from the side, and the straight. The downsides to the punches is that if your weight and technique is wrong, something bad can happen for each one. The hook = triangle choke hammerfist from above = take the back hammerfist from the side= armbar and straight = armbar.

tip #2 When striking from the top position in the guard, the bicep is the major muscle exerting force and causing impact (for short hard shots that get people to open their guard, not KO guard shots, that involves much more muscle). Always try to punch like your a t-rex, keep those arms in close if your just striking to open his guard. If your trying to knock him out, you must be more open and looping, ala Fedor, but thats not what your trying to do.

tip #3 walk your feet up, so your butt is in the air, your knees are slightly bent, alot of your weight is on his hips, and your looking straight down into his face. (Mark Kerr was a master of this position) Rain down blows, he must unlock his legs for him to do anything. You want your knees bent because if he goes for the ankle grab sweep, you can drive your knees foward, rendering it useless and hit him in the face. And when I say knees slightly bent, I dont mean in this shape ">" the feet are the farthest part of your body back, your weight is on his hips and thats how the sweep doesnt work on you.

tip #4 once the legs are unlocked, grab hit foot at the bottom of his shin, and push it underneath your hip, then come back down. He should have half butterfly guard on you now. Take the hand on the same side of the trapt leg (you trap his left leg = right hand and visa versa) and place it on his knee of the trapt leg. Now take your head and put it to the opposite side of the trapt leg. Push on the leg, holding the leg in place, and bring your hips over his leg. You should blow by his guard. This is easier if you throw your bodyweight in the air and come crashing down on his trapt leg, minimizing his chances of getting guard back. I hope this makes sense. Ask me if you have any questions on anything. This is my mma pass I use all the time, minimizes submissions for the bottom guy, and doesnt make you too venerable to strikes.

wat do u normally do w/ ur other hand? under hook/ overhook the arm on the side ur not passing? just asking cause this pass sounds pretty effective.thx.

I keep my elbow near his hip, so if i land in his halfguard, I already have an underhook to pin him down with. and If i land in side control, im controling his body. Does that answer your question?

Train more and ask your instructor more questions. The answers usually present themselves in these two scenarios.

Didn't feel like reading the passes you heard..

However one of the best no-gi/mma passes is when you open the guard thread your left hand/arm under his right leg and get a grip on the top of his left leg make sure to keep his legs controlled by keeping your weight on them. then start walking on your toes with your weight on the opp. toward his left side, as you walk to side control walk out his left arm/hand by getting a underhook or gripping the wrist and bringing his hand toward his head (controlling the hand/arm keeps him from pushing the hips and reclaiming guard) Then as you are in side control go to level 2 control (left leg under the shoulder) then go back to level 1 standard side control making sure to bump his hip with yours so he is flattened out..

Somewhat tired so I wasn't as detailed as I usually would be gl.

the double underhook pass works nearly everytime i try it, securing sidecontrol is harder though.

Moving Shadow said:
the double underhook pass works nearly everytime i try it, securing sidecontrol is harder though.

in mma or no gi grappling? In mma i could see a guy squirming a leg out before, during, or after you secure it and up kicking.

Egg Nog said:
in mma or no gi grappling? In mma i could see a guy squirming a leg out before, during, or after you secure it and up kicking.

I use the double underhook pass all the time during no gi grappling... it works fine for me.

When someone has me in their closed guard, I usually do standing passes. I put my hands on their shoulders to keep them from hooking a leg, or trying to go for a submission. I then stand up and put my weight on them. Their legs will open up and if they don't I slide the knee through and work my the double underhook pass from there.

Egg Nog said:

sorry should have said no-gi, although as for using it in MMA, i saw nathan marquardt use it against ivan salavery in that Ultimate fight night, think Marquardt even used it to turn ivan and take his back.

Cojofl said:
yep

I'm not a big fan of it for MMA. You're too open to shots.

my instructor has never taught it is why i have never seen it

The double underhook pass is good if the opponent doesnt know how to escape it. The way to stop that pass is to bring your legs together and straight up, then push his elbows up with your hands till his arms arent trapping your knees (but just the top of your shins), then you upkick the crap outta him.

Back