Passing out disappreesh

MCB52

White Belt
Reaction score
so im in a MMA college club. we have an instructor usually just once a week and then the other times we do conditioning and a little bit of rolling. since its the end of the year, we decided to have a little grappling tournament and i got paired up with a dude that is 260 lbs (i'm about 155). im fairly new to jiu jitsu, ive just been training with the club twice a week for like 2 months so i dont really know too much. anyways, i have no idea what happened, all of the sudden i woke up gasping for air with everyone around me. i wasnt refusing to tap or anything, i dont even remember him getting anything on me. i was pretty scared when i woke up though. i dont think it lasted longer than a few seconds.

i won my next little match though. anyone else have similar experiences? i feel kind of embarrassed for passing out in front of everyone.

He is 260 and you are 155? I think you're lucky you did not break anything.

There is no reason you two should be paired up. Just proper side control or knee on the belly from a guy like that would break your ribs.

why did you go with someone over 100 lbs heavier than you? in class maybe but not a Tourny?

Other than that i've only went under once, but i was fighting a Triangle to no avail. Sucks but it lets you know that it only takes a second and its all over.

yea we just picked numbers out of a hat so i had to go against him. he had side control on me and i dont know exactly what he did but i think he just dug his forearm into my throat and leaned on me

disapreesh? Anyways I have fought people over 100lbs lighter than me (or more) and haven't injured any of them. The only one I have come close to injuring was a Judoka who was too competitive to tap the first time I tried to do a belly down armbar (and hence I wasn't sure I truly had the submission). This just sounds weird

disapreesh? Anyways I have fought people over 100lbs lighter than me (or more) and haven't injured any of them. The only one I have come close to injuring was a Judoka who was too competitive to tap the first time I tried to do a belly down armbar (and hence I wasn't sure I truly had the submission). This just sounds weird

I remember that ginger judo guy who was spazzing on everyone. I haven't seen anyone as competitive and spaz as much as he did. I don't think he was that much smaller than you, I would guess he was taller and seemed very physically strong. Im glad he went back to Japan or where ever else he was going to.

seems like a bad combo- pretty new to the game with a much bigger opponent.
Ive never gone all the way out, but have had plenty of close calls, mainly from chokes i didn't see coming. only way to fix that is to keep training, get to know the game and your body better.
Not banging on your club or coach at all, but Ive rolled down at my local college and it seems that a lot of those guys who only train informally tend to use a lot of strength and sloppy technique, just due to lack of supervision all the time. I stopped going down there 'cause it got to the point where I was worried that if one of these guys got my arm or leg, it'd be broken before I could tap. I always did well down there, but that kind of environment was incredibly off-putting, to say the least.

seems like a bad combo- pretty new to the game with a much bigger opponent.
Ive never gone all the way out, but have had plenty of close calls, mainly from chokes i didn't see coming. only way to fix that is to keep training, get to know the game and your body better.
Not banging on your club or coach at all, but Ive rolled down at my local college and it seems that a lot of those guys who only train informally tend to use a lot of strength and sloppy technique, just due to lack of supervision all the time. I stopped going down there 'cause it got to the point where I was worried that if one of these guys got my arm or leg, it'd be broken before I could tap. I always did well down there, but that kind of environment was incredibly off-putting, to say the least.

i agree that my club is pretty much the same, except for the fact that only about 4 of the guys know what they are doing enough to break anyone's arm or leg, and those are the guys that arent going all out on everyone. im going back home and training at a real school over the summer and probably next year though

i guess "disappreesh" is a b9 only thing.

I remember that ginger judo guy who was spazzing on everyone. I haven't seen anyone as competitive and spaz as much as he did.

Man we got one of those buggers - judo and ging obviously dont mix!!!!!

It can happen suprisingly fast. I was going up against a classmate last night and I sunk a baseball bat choke in and he was out in like 5 seconds. I thought he was messing with me because his eyes never shut. It freaked me out a little bit when he came to because his body shuddered and his eyes where blinking like crazy. It was the first time I put someone out and I can see where it can be scary when you come to.
They stress tapping at our school so very few people actually get to that point.

Man we got one of those buggers - judo and ging obviously dont mix!!!!!

lol

I think that they are angry at the world for making them ginger.

The guy was feckin huge, people didn't complain too much because we knew he had to leave to go to another country in a week. He tried to fight this guy from our gym who was the same size as him who got him in an armbar from the turtle position. Its hard to see someone tapping when you are upside down, but anyway, he didn't tap and just shouted after he couldn't power his way out of it. When he got up he started shoving the guy that armbarred him to start a fist fight.

dude that seems like a stupid way to run a tournament, having fights with a 105 lb weight diff, is there not enough people to match up at similar weights? just like within a 25 lb margin would be way better. that way you won't get rape choked anymore either :p

dude that seems like a stupid way to run a tournament, having fights with a 105 lb weight diff, is there not enough people to match up at similar weights? just like within a 25 lb margin would be way better. that way you won't get rape choked anymore either :p

the thing is we only had like 8-10 guys and the next biggest dude was like 180 or so, so it wouldnt have really made that much of a difference. if i didnt go against him someone else that is similar to my size would have had to.

Back