passing open gurad

zicherja

White Belt
Reaction score
I know, there are many open gurads (spider, x, etc.), but here is my problem. For the purposes of this questsion, I am talking about the open guard, where opponent has control of sleeves or collar and one sleeve and is controlling my hips or hips/knees/arm with is feet.

I know how to get off each hook. For example, if foot on hip, step back. If foot behind knee, turn knee inwards. If foot on bicep, thrust pelvis in. My problem is that I never seem to know which hook to go for first. I also never know if and how I should break the opponents grip on my collar or sleeve. I find myself very sloppy and confused.

So first question, if opponent has a grip on your collar and gi sleeve while your standing and has hooks in behind knees or on my hips, do I break his hand grips first or do I just try to get his feet off of me. Then, how do you effectively break tight grips while opponent has your gi (other than thrusting around wildly)

Seems like a basic question, but after a year of training, it is suprising that I was given no instruction on how to systematically think about the process of passing open gurard.

Passing the open guard can be really annoying, since it is much easier for your opp to catch you with an open compared to a closed guard. I usually try to control the legs first and worry about sleeve hold later, but that is just my preference.

I didn't read your post man too far.

I'd suggest taking whichever arm isn't controlled (we'll say right) feed around the same leg (ie, his left) grab the inside opposite pant leg (his right) and posture/pull. I this will really flatten his leg out to slip a knee over into at least half guard. I saw it on the Leo Viera guard passing tapes and it is a fav of mine.

Disclaimer: I don't do much gi work at all outside of competition...and have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about.

There's a bunch of systematic passes. The one Blake mentioned just so happens to be a very good one, one of my favorites.
To add to his post: keep your chin tucked to your chest and keep your head pressed down onto your opponents legs. This will help you avoid being collar choked. You basically want to be sprawling out (i.e. hips down, legs posted wide) while pinning his legs flat down by hugging them. Walk around into side mount. Keep your head pressed down, don't even think about lifting your chin. As Blake said, they may get you in half guard, but hell, you're half way home then.
In fact, you may want to change your perspective a bit. Stop worrying about a full guard pass for a while. Just concentrate on getting one leg free. It's pretty easy to work that other leg free with a little effort, and it you can't, at least some subs will be available to you.

I'd say first get your grips on his knees, elbows in. Get on your feet and back up, so he can't put his feet on your hips. Then go back in and put your knee between his ass and sit low, but stay live on your feet with good base. Then push one leg to the ground. If it's his right leg then your right knee is gonna slide across his right inner thigh, while at the same time your right hand lets go of his knee and goes under his left armpit, passing his guard into sidemount. Give or a take an obstacle or two, it should work pretty well.

As soon as my instructor says "Ok, now pass the open guard", I hang my head low.

I suck ass at open guard right now.

Yo gotta control the legs first and foremost and be aware of the submissions.... i start out by usually grabing the leg closest to the ground with one arm and force both legs together.. with the other ill grab deep on the back behind the shoulder or his close arms wrist (by the gi) and then sprawl hard this will take care of half guard as well... keep base and run your knees up to his armpit then flatten out and maintain side control... situation dictates and its much easier said than done... but try that shit on me and im sweepin that ass.. they call me SPIDAMAN

Do a Shamrock impression by falling back into an anklelock and then when he screams in pain make a cartwheel into side control.

Bubble Boy said:
There's a bunch of systematic passes. The one Blake mentioned just so happens to be a very good one, one of my favorites.
To add to his post: keep your chin tucked to your chest and keep your head pressed down onto your opponents legs. This will help you avoid being collar choked. You basically want to be sprawling out (i.e. hips down, legs posted wide) while pinning his legs flat down by hugging them. Walk around into side mount. Keep your head pressed down, don't even think about lifting your chin. As Blake said, they may get you in half guard, but hell, you're half way home then.
In fact, you may want to change your perspective a bit. Stop worrying about a full guard pass for a while. Just concentrate on getting one leg free. It's pretty easy to work that other leg free with a little effort, and it you can't, at least some subs will be available to you.

Great post.
I'll just add that I agree than you gotta neutralize his legs, either by pinning them down to the ground, or making him flex his hips and knees completely (pin his heels to his butt). Either way, you use your upper body weight to make his legs ineffective at pushing you away or at following you as you try to pass them.
Open guard is all about your opponent keeping you at the right distance, preventing you from getting in close to him or too far. If you look like you're getting close, he pushes you away, and if it looks like you're getting too far away from him, he pulls you in a bit (i.e. spider guard). You gotta get out of his effective range of opportunity so that you can pass, so either get closer or get further.
I agree that getting to half-guard or full guard is an improvement over open guard. Then you can work your passes from there slowly and methodically.

um i would say try to cross face your opponent if you can make some distance between you and your opponent. then control his legs and stand up and push the one leg down and try to pass. i dont explain it that well but go to www.grapplearts.com under grappling techniques theres a couple differnt gaurd passes hopefully that helps.

zicherja, it seems like you have gotten a few good answers so here's an idea that is a little on topic and should be of some help to someone.

part of the passing game is about level changes, which is why you are standing in th first place. a lot of people stand up ad then feel like they have to complete the pass standing, or that they can't get back to the ground without giving up position.
you mentioned the foot behing the knee. when your oponent puts his foot behind your knee, drop to your knees right away. this will force him into a half butterfly with his other leg hanging out behind you. now you can look to pass from here, or force the half guard.

Back