passing gaurd with judo

Q mystic

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Try this fellas and tell me what you think.

In gaurd, go forward and get kesi-gatame grips. Hold this like you have osaekomi. Tight. Pull forward while climbing thru. He will try to sneak out the side and take back every time. If you have him tight, let him loosen and you inch up with your knees, pulling in your kesagatame. You will end up where he is at your side and you must keep the head and arm tight. From there you will pull thru physically and have it or he may have one leg and you are fine to go. You must keep his head beside yours. With his head and arm you are easily dominant.

Are you saying that the guy has you in his guard? Then you just take kesa gatame grips and climb through? Seems like sweep city to me. I'll try it though, just to give it a shot.

Bubble Boy said:
Are you saying that the guy has you in his guard? Then you just take kesa gatame grips and climb through? Seems like sweep city to me. I'll try it though, just to give it a shot.

No sweep. You squeeze tight and pull thru to the side and he will help you thinking that he is getting back. Take Kesa and, yes, take a side to pull thru. Just like you have kesa. Worst I've been in is stalemate with me in more control. You are stronger from here.

I tried it once and got sweeped. I think my opponent did a powerful butt-scoot on the side where my arm was around his head to prepare for Kezatagame) but I had no base on that side. I learnt very quickly not to tie up my arms.

When you get say, right kesa grip, lay on his leg, which would be his rite. And pull thru.

Foul Breath said:
I tried it once and got sweeped. I think my opponent did a powerful butt-scoot on the side where my hand was around his head (no base).

Sorry, not enuff detail I guess. Lie on his leg that fits your kesa.

rofl. This move will only work if the guy on top is 240 and guy on bottom is 150 assuming the guy on bottom is a blue belt or better. Q mystic, why don't you practice actual guard passes instead of trying to win matches by muscling your opponents.

Janeiro said:
rofl. This move will only work if the guy on top is 240 and guy on bottom is 150 assuming the guy on bottom is a blue belt or better. Q mystic, why don't you practice actual guard passes instead of trying to win matches by muscling your opponents.

Works well fella. Same weight. No shit. What problem do you foresee?

Not just muscling. Muscling at 'thee' most opportune times. It is how it all goes right?

What problem? Where would we end up?

if a guy tried to take kesa on me from guard i would just take his back or break the grip and set him up for triangles and armbars. How the hell you going to just climb throught the middle of someones guard? maybe on some white belts..

Gsoares2 said:
if a guy tried to take kesa on me from guard i would just take his back or break the grip and set him up for triangles and armbars. How the hell you going to just climb throught the middle of someones guard? maybe on some white belts..

Well I wouldn't post it if it was only successful on wh or blues. But, I would prolly also try what you said, if I let him get the head and arm. I won't let that happen though.

And we would be ear to ear.

A Russian does this to me all the time. It's pretty much the only pass he does. He's also pound for pound the strongest man I train with. Once your head is grabbed, it will be cranked up hard. No sweep for you there, unless you are fighting a weaking. Best you can do is prepare a kesa escape.

QingTian said:
A Russian does this to me all the time. It's pretty much the only pass he does. He's also pound for pound the strongest man I train with. Once your head is grabbed, it will be cranked up hard. No sweep for you there, unless you are fighting a weaking. Best you can do is prepare a kesa escape.

wutcha mean by cranked? head cranks are a no no in judo...

mma-lee said:
wutcha mean by cranked? head cranks are a no no in judo...

Just a very strong head and arm and pull it in tight. Stay just to his side so there is no sweep. He will think he is going to get back but if you have the kesa hold tite, he isn't going anywhere.

Wouldn't work so well in judo as it is slow going and would prolly be restart.

I think i've seen Braulio Estima do something like this, it's like an almight stack

He actually submitted a purple belt while in the guys gurd with an armlock with it.

Come to think of it Jacare did a pass like that in Mundial 2004.
I imagine it's got to be a super tight headlock though.
It seems like a stack would be the way to start it out, and then one hell of a kesa neck lock and arm control.
I will defintely try this during my next roll around.

you can grab the neck and pull the head up, but not in a way that will threaten the neck bones. it's a strong way to hold someone.

Back