Passing DLR with Caio Terra ankle lock grip

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been looking at possibilities of passing DLR and one area that doesn't seem to get much "press" is passing the caio terra ankle lock variation of this guard.

Opponent has your foot in armpit , I have timestamped Jon Thomas video where he briefly touches on this below, Caio terra and Craig Jones both use this.

I have seen people really struggle with this variation in competition as it seems that a lot of the major DLR style passing movements( knee cut/leg drag) probably wouldn't work and you are in danger of immediately going into a footlock.

Any ideas if you were caught in this, how would you go about passing?

Thanks

Try leg dragging the DLR leg. You can also stack pass them if their legs are up high enough. The main thing though is be safe, meaning 1). Try not to let them get the grip on your leg 2). Don't let them feed the DLR hook around the back of your leg 3) Don't let them get their other foot between your legs and knock you over. If your foot is already caught, control both of their legs and keep the DLR hook off your leg, then pick your trapped leg up slightly to make space and turn your toes inward towards his spine. This will releive pressure from the anklelock, but it will expose you to berimbolos and baby bolos. From here you can either try leg drags on either side or continue to rotate your foot until it is 180 degrees, point the toes and pull your foot out.

This is one of my favorite submission. What helps is digging through my far leg into a leg drag. However, you can't leg drag it then at least try and get rid of the far hook. Then with your other hand remove the original dlr hook to relieve pressure especially if you do end up getting swept. Then you can sit as well. Basically don't think about freeing your foot until you've cleared the legs first.

Sorry to derail this thread...when doing the Caio Terra lock some people claim it hurts their shin. I can feel the pressure on my shin when getting submitted with it myself. My question is, is the Caio DLR lock also a shin lock, i.e. if you didn't tap would it eventually break your shin/leg?

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite submission. What helps is digging through my far leg into a leg drag. However, you can't leg drag it then at least try and get rid of the far hook. Then with your other hand remove the original dlr hook to relieve pressure especially if you do end up getting swept. Then you can sit as well. Basically don't think about freeing your foot until you've cleared the legs first.

Sorry to derail this thread...when doing the Caio Terra lock some people claim it hurts their shin. I can feel the pressure on my shin when getting submitted with it myself. My question is, is the Caio DLR lock also a shin lock, i.e. if you didn't tap would it eventually break your shin/leg?

Thanks man , so look to leg drag the non DLR leg if possible first or control it to stop the sweep and control my position
I take it before that try and break any collar grip as I often see it being shown with a deep collar .

Secondly , the DLR leg - because the foot is in front would I be looking to scoop the leg and remove it in front of my foot first ?
I guess I'm unsure of how to remove my trapped foot..

The key to finishing the Caio Terra lock is having their foot and knee facing the same direction as your knee. This allows you can create the necessary counter pressure between the back of your leg driving down and your upper body drawing their ankle forward then past the line of their toes.

From DLR he needs to use his other leg posting on you to elevate his hips to make room to set his grip so if you can prevent him doing so in the beginning its hard to get your leg in to position for the lock. If he does get there and you can keep the other foot off your hip you're looking to avoid the situation i outlined where my knee & foot are in line with his knee. By turning your knee in or out a little you can kill a lot of his pressure but you need to control the other leg to avoid exposing your back for crab rides or a berimbolo. When i'm doing this i'm normally frantically looking for a Lins Lock on their free leg or at least threatening an Estima Lock to encourage them to bail rather than Leg Drag.

@Whitebeltatlife something in your shin will break before anything major in the ankle by design hence its so high-percentage. You'll reach the full range of motion of in your ankle quickly and things will pop but the continued movement of your ankle towards then past the line of your foot means you'll get a break in the tibia if you don't tap.

The key to finishing the Caio Terra lock is having their foot and knee facing the same direction as your knee. This allows you can create the necessary counter pressure between the back of your leg driving down and your upper body drawing their ankle forward then past the line of their toes.

From DLR he needs to use his other leg posting on you to elevate his hips to make room to set his grip so if you can prevent him doing so in the beginning its hard to get your leg in to position for the lock. If he does get there and you can keep the other foot off your hip you're looking to avoid the situation i outlined where my knee & foot are in line with his knee. By turning your knee in or out a little you can kill a lot of his pressure but you need to control the other leg to avoid exposing your back for crab rides or a berimbolo. When i'm doing this i'm normally frantically looking for a Lins Lock on their free leg or at least threatening an Estima Lock to encourage them to bail rather than Leg Drag.

@Whitebeltatlife something in your shin will break before anything major in the ankle by design hence its so high-percentage. You'll reach the full range of motion of in your ankle quickly and things will pop but the continued movement of your ankle towards then past the line of your foot means you'll get a break in the tibia if you don't tap.
Thanks. I hit this in comp against an MMA guy so he was always going to be tough. After he showed me my grip was on his muscle and not his tendon (I was too focused/bad technique during the match) but said he didn't want to risk it, others have said it too. That's actually quite re-assuring to know. I feel like in some ways it shouldn't be legal at whitebelt as it can harm the shin...not that I'm complaining.

Thanks. I hit this in comp against an MMA guy so he was always going to be tough. After he showed me my grip was on his muscle and not his tendon (I was too focused/bad technique during the match) but said he didn't want to risk it, others have said it too. That's actually quite re-assuring to know. I feel like in some ways it shouldn't be legal at whitebelt as it can harm the shin...not that I'm complaining.
To be honest if you have the pressure right its horrible enough that people usually tap quickly as their ankle starts passing the line of their toes. I don't think i've ever really seen anyone try tough it out in the way they might with an achilles lock and i doubt it would end well.

I like its legal at white belt personally as it's my favourite way to counter white belts trying to ankle lock me :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back