Passing De La Riva Made Easy!

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In this video I show a technical and easy way to clear the De la Riva hook when your opponent is cupping your ankle. This can be an absolute nightmare against someone who is good in Open Guard.

There are a number of great ways to deal with this hook and in this video I show my favorite. It starts off the same way as the Kick and Go pass. There is nothing more important than a stable base and good posture. This will set up all of the things that you want to do.

Once you have stabilized your base it's time to clear that cupping hand. You do this by turning the knee to the inside and doing a simple wrestler shot. It should be a quick movement that doesnt leave you exposed for very long.

After clearing the leg make sure you continue into whatever pass you prefer. In this video I couple it with the Kick and Go pass but it can be used to set up any number of passes. Just make sure you dont let your opponent regrip on your ankle!

Awesome video Gerbil! I have a blue that I rival against that loves DLR and I have been passing the first way you have shown so much that he is ready for it every time. Thank you!

Nice video. I have always been trying the Marcelo Garcia turn your foot and kick hard, but w/ limited success. I like this version to as it appears a stronger rip if necessary.

One detail that I think anyone teaching defense against the DLR is to break any grip on the collar. Your starting point in this video is that you have posture, which makes it a whole lot easier to take that shot sideways and get recomposed into your x-pass.

I say this because the way I, and lots of other annoying DLR guard players, will play in the open guard is to get a solid grip on the collar (i prefer the cross grip) and start breaking an opponent's posture down as much as possible. It takes away a TON of options for passers.

Great vid and a something I like to use once I've broken that grip.

One detail that I think anyone teaching defense against the DLR is to break any grip on the collar. Your starting point in this video is that you have posture, which makes it a whole lot easier to take that shot sideways and get recomposed into your x-pass.

I say this because the way I, and lots of other annoying DLR guard players, will play in the open guard is to get a solid grip on the collar (i prefer the cross grip) and start breaking an opponent's posture down as much as possible. It takes away a TON of options for passers.

Great vid and a something I like to use once I've broken that grip.

if your posture is broken back stepping with authorty is probably your best option.

Having broken posture posture at the beginning is what gives the far side lapel grip. If you enter into the open guard with posture it's very difficult for your opponent to get that grip. This turns into a chicken/egg problem.

I try to teach my students that it's infinitely easier to maintain posture than it is to lose it and try to get it back.

very nice technique. i love the simplicity of it

Nice video, I get stuck in DLR all the time and my only answer is back step to knee bar but I wanted more options

great video, especially since ppl are starting to transition from DLR to Berimbolo ...great way to break the guard

Nice, I always try to just turn the knee and kick away but dont have much success. Am definitely going to drill this.

This looks great! I'm going to try this out next time I go in.

Might be a silly question, but will this work if they grip the pants instead of cupping the ankle? In my head, it seems like you would need more force to tip the grip off with this pass.

Also, what keeps the guy on bottom from taking my back if he's already started rolling towards the hook for a back take?

Very cool stuff... simple concept, but looks really effective!

Very good vid, one of my favorites so far. Turning your back is too dangerous against a good DLR player, it usually ends in tears.

Another great pass! Thanks we drilled this today.

great video! I've been trying very similar to this but was missing the right details to make it work, i think this will help a lot. thank you for your contribution.

hmmm ... I wonder if this would work in nogi.

that is excellent, thank you!

Back