Pass for Butterfly Guard?

genkisudofan

White Belt
Reaction score
With gi, what is the most basic pass for the butterfly guard. This is when they have your collar gripped tight with their same hand. AKA, how do you pass while he has that grip tight?

Easiest one I know of consists of:

1) Pick a side to pass (let's say your left side, his right side).
2) With your left hand grab over his shoulder (along his upper back) or you can grab the back of his collar.
3) With your right hand quickly grab his left gi leg (near the knee).
4) Swing out your right leg behind you, using this motion to roll towards your back (almost like falling onto your back diagonally towards your left).
5) At the same time, pull up on his left leg.

If done correctly, you'll wind up in side control. This pass is hard to pull off against guys with good butterfly guards but it is the most basic one that I know of.

a lot of times guys will be favoring a side when they play the butterfly guard. so say your partner is sitting on his right hip, so he's trying to sweep you to your left, he's sitting up with the cross collar grip with his left hand and his right is controling your left sleeve (try not to let him get that control, first of all)...

get a good base first to make sure you don't get swept and break the sleeve grip (circle your hand around). with your right hand push his left knee over past your belly button and put your hips into his so he can't bring his leg back, silultaneously kick your left leg back to get rid of the hook. with your left hand, grab your partner's lower left gi pant, hug over his shoulder with your right arm, and move to your right to side control.

get it?

Posture, and when he goes for the sweep, pull his arm out first, he'll wind up on his side, easy to cut the knee around to take side.

Another is to disengage altogether and move.

Finally, some guys are able to pinch their legs together, "closing" the guy's butterfly guard, and then pssing the knees and keeping good hip pressure to slide to the side. I've had it work for me, and I've had it not, but it's stifled, other things.

What's the best way to break the grip on the collar? Or do you even have to?

genkisudofan said:
What's the best way to break the grip on the collar? Or do you even have to?

Not really. If you pass to side control you should be fine.

pin down one of his legs. There's also this pass that you end up in half guard and work your pass from there

my favourite butterfly pass i pressure his heels hard into his butt. then almost do a cartwheel motion and bring your legs arounf his guard. its hard to explain but very basic

Is there a pass which gets you forward into mount? It does seem possinle given that the only thing you needa get over are the humps in the form of his knees, but I hav never done it not seen it.

Also, I feel very unsafe while being held in the butterfly..Just a slip and his foot is crushing your balls[from under]

thecas said:
Is there a pass which gets you forward into mount? It does seem possinle given that the only thing you needa get over are the humps in the form of his knees, but I hav never done it not seen it.

Also, I feel very unsafe while being held in the butterfly..Just a slip and his foot is crushing your balls[from under]

I think lockflow has one where you hip forward into his legs, grip his shins, and then pop over the legs while shoving them through yours, but it's very low percentage.

Thank you for clarifying what angle he'd crush your balls from, btw. Now I know.

Back