Parity in MMA is overrated...

So, you want them to fix fights?
I don't see anything wrong with Holly headkicking Ronda to the ground,Trish Stratus bursting into the cage hitting Holly with a steel pipe,then giving a dazed Rousey Holly's arm to armbar and retain the title.

In general you are of course right. Dominant champions sell to the general public.

Hardcore fans though, we do want that champion to be challenged. It did get a bit boring for hardcore fans when the best they could put against GSP were Hardy, Koscheck 2, against Anderson Silva were Côté, Okami and Leites, against Jones were Belfort and Sonnen.

When I say dominant champion I'm referring to somebody not being beaten for a long stretch, not somebody who just shuts everybody out.

I also want to point out when I say story lines I don't mean like actual stories, I mean narratives as opposed to two generic guys going head to head (which is where UFC is headed).

The real problem is that ufc fighters are low level. Yeah, i meant it. I will put a link of a true great fighter at the end of this post so you can check on Saenchai, he has 297 wins 52 losses and 3 draws. Muay Thai fighter, fighting since 8 years old. He has losses, some of them questionable and other to also incredible fighters. In ufc we have mediocre fighters all at the same level, thats the reason belts are getting passed so fast and to many different people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saenchai_PKSaenchaimuaythaigym

Anyone that thinks the way you do has to be new to the sport.

I never say that, and I hate when people play the noob card, but it is what it is.

Sometimes the best fighters aren't the ones that tell. You should decide who is fun to watch instead of waiting to be told.

I don't see anything wrong with Holly headkicking Ronda to the ground,Trish Stratus bursting into the cage hitting Holly with a steel pipe,then giving a dazed Rousey Holly's arm to armbar and retain the title.
ezgif-save-copy-6.gif

There is absolutely nothing the ufc can do that they aren't already doing to allow people who are marketable to stay on top.

Wtf do you want TS? Drop Woodley, let him go to Bellator, instead of making him fight because he looks like he will lose?

UFC is gonna be in a lull, just like Schaub said before a bunch of nerds started parroting hate on him.

He's absolutely right as far as the stars falling.

These fighters needed to be built up to having an aura of invincibility but they don't have that chance because everybody in UFC is relatively on the same level, and there are too many fighters.

Like I said in another thread, the real reason people want to see Mayweather fight is because he's 49-0, so half the people wanna see him win and say "see I told you so" while the other half are like "I can't wait to see this asshole lose".

Meanwhile if his record was something pedestrian like 10-4, that would cut interest in his fights drastically.

Jones getting suspended was also a huge blow to the UFC for this exact reason.

Fuck right off. Aura of invincibility is for children and wwe converts. This is one of the big problems with the fandom of this sport. People act like these guys are superheroes and it's impossible for them to lose. Its such cartoony bullshit. Its a fight between two trained fighters in 4oz gloves people will lose. No one retires undefeated in this sport and that's what makes it great.

If you need invincible heroes to be interested there's sports entertainment and comic books leave the combat sports to the people who enjoy them. What's with all these new joindates making threads about the ufc being in a lull? Use your real accounts to make these nonsense threads.

Fuck right off. Aura of invincibility is for children and wwe converts. This is one of the big problems with the fandom of this sport. People act like these guys are superheroes and it's impossible for them to lose. Its such cartoony bullshit. Its a fight between two trained fighters in 4oz gloves people will lose. No one retires undefeated in this sport and that's what makes it great.

If you need invincible heroes to be interested there's sports entertainment and comic books leave the combat sports to the people who enjoy them. What's with all these new joindates making threads about the ufc being in a lull? Use your real accounts to make these nonsense threads.

WTF are you rambling about?

Why would I be on an alternate account?

The fact that you think people take posting here so serious is a joke, just let's us know about you buddy.

Again people want to see underdogs overcome favorites, not fights that are a coinflip.

UFC is/will be in a lull meaning it's not gonna be growing nearly at the rate it was just a year ago.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of the business, as well as a fan, while you're just looking at it from the perspective of some slimy shut-in who probably hasn't brushed his teeth in months.

UFC does best when there are long reigning champs because that makes for story lines, the proverbial 'good vs. bad'.

People want to see a dominant champion, and everybody else wants to see that guy get beaten.

Parity works for team sports, and even then there still needs to be a little continuity (like Patriots, Yankees).

I hope UFC does something about this, aside from the most die hard fans nobody wants to see a bunch of new guys every few months, especially because the future of the sport is basically gonna be a bunch of guys with the same styles and skill sets.

If anything I can definitely see UFC losing a lot of interest down the road because of this.

Well, that't the difference between sports fans and fight fans. As a fight fan, I don't care about long reigning champs and storylines. In fact, I wish post and pre fight interviews would only be available online for people looking for them and be completely removed from the events. I just don't give a flying fuck about what a fighter has to say about anything. Just show me the fights and nothing more.

Back