Parents Just Dont Understand

• Thread starter Deleted member 499399
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 499399

This was the first hit song from Will Smith which launched his amazing career.

In the first verse he talks about clothes shopping with his mother. His mother insists on buying him outdated styles and off brand clothes. This causes the other kids to make fun of him.
In the second verse he tells a story about the time his parents went on vacation and he stole their brand new Porsche. He picked up a 12 year old girl named Toots and got to second base before getting pulled over and arrested. His parents didn’t seem to understand.

The video is very colorful and the story frolics along to DJ Jazzy Jeff’s upbeat beats.

The older you get the more you appreciate his mom’s wisdom.
Yes in retrospect I think his parents had every right to be upset when he stole the new car and picked up that underage girl. I would have a hard time showing understanding in that situation but perhaps that’s due to me being a parent now.

This was the first hit song from Will Smith which launched his amazing career.

In the first verse he talks about clothes shopping with his mother. His mother insists on buying him outdated styles and off brand clothes. This causes the other kids to make fun of him.
In the second verse he tells a story about the time his parents went on vacation and he stole their brand new Porsche. He picked up a 12 year old girl named Toots and got to second base before getting pulled over and arrested. His parents didn’t seem to understand.

The video is very colorful and the story frolics along to DJ Jazzy Jeff’s upbeat beats.

Yeah man, I loved that album back in the day, Fresh Prince had such a dope flow, the title track alone showcases his lyrical skills

And I'll throw hands with anyone that disses Jazzy Jeff, that dude is as important a DJ in hop hop as anyone

This one is a great story by Will

Last edited:
Loved that song. The target market was preteen boys. I didn't interpret it as him getting an underage girl, but singing from my perspective (at the time), which was as a kid under 16 years old who exploits his parents being away to take their car out for a joy ride despite not having a license, and picking up a girl around the same age as him.

He got so much hate as a rapper, but this is still one of the greatest chill songs:

I wonder what Wills parents would think about his current situation?

I later discoverd that track, I bet I can beat Mike Tyson.
Will should dump that woman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back