Paragon Jiu-Jitsu

Zombles

Green Belt
Reaction score
Currently enrolled at UCSB and decided to get back into training after taking a few years off and it seems like Paragon is the most decorated grappling academy in Santa Babara, was wondering if anyone here rolls or has experience there?

What is the environment like, is it intense and catered to competition or more of a casual, friendly vibe? Is the kickboxing part of the gym a legit instruction in striking geared for competition or is it more of a kid brother cardio thing? How much does it cost a month and how much is the initial enrollment fee?

I know the instructors are world class and I'll head down there for a trial lesson when I get some money saved together but any info yall have on the academy would be appreciated.

I think that's where Jeff Glover trains/teaches. He's a very good and innovative grappler, and he seems to have a good sense of humor, too.

Paragon is a top team and seem to have their own unique style (although deep half is now pretty main stream). Your game will only improve training there.

Come by dude. I'll PM you, but I go to UCSB and train at Paragon.

Franjinha teaches a couple times a week up in SB, but stays in Ventura mostly. It's been mostly Sean Apperson and Jeff Glover lately though. Dos Pueblos wrestling coach, Anthony Califano, teaches a few classes too. There's almost always a black belt teaching and everyone brings their own unique style.

You can't go wrong with the Pipelayer. He makes getting choked out hella fun.

I went to school is SB when I was younger... Love that city. Though I never trained there, I've heard awesome things about Paragon SB.

Man, what I wouldn't give to be 19, living on DP, and just training and going to school every day :(

I went to school is SB when I was younger... Love that city. Though I never trained there, I've heard awesome things about Paragon SB.

Man, what I wouldn't give to be 19, living on DP, and just training and going to school every day :(

Tell me about it!! I left in '93...still get back for the alumni games though (soccer) and I always want to stop in to Paragon and roll. But all my other buddies are dragging me down State Street or heading to IV for a monster burrito or some Woodstocks...and...uh..."sightseeing." Damn I miss SB!

Best school in the area especially Bjj wise. Come
By dude.

Won a free month trial there last december but it ended up being too expensive for my broke college-student ass after the trial was over. Awesome school though. Competition oriented, for sure, but everyone there was also very welcoming and friendly.

There were some moms/kids in the kickboxing class but you learn legit technique. I don't think i ever saw anyone spar but it's not Tae Bo.

Well I'm sold, went for the trial class yesterday and signed up on the spot.

thanks for the heads up fellas.

Back