Paper Champs

Aldo was more active than Conor when he was at the same stage of his career. Lets see if Conor still fights without any injuries and every 3rd month 5 years from now..

Well when that day comes when Conor keeps pulling out of major UFC PPVs I'm sure something will be done to him as well. But he hasn't. He's not not fighting like Aldo, he's chasing even bigger money fights for himself and the UFC.

Well when that day comes when Conor keeps pulling out of major UFC PPVs I'm sure something will be done to him as well. But he hasn't. He's not not fighting like Aldo, he's chasing even bigger money fights for himself and the UFC.
Fuck you and your money fights, accountant weirdo

Nope. How many times has Aldo pulled out of scheduled title fights? Add all of Aldo's title fight delays together. Give Conor that amount of time to defend his title. It's more than fair, considering how much more money Conor has made the UFC and how much more he has raised the profile of the division compared to Aldo.
Conor's contribution since winning the belt is that the most clear number one contender in the sport didn't get a much deserved title shot, and Max Holloway is probably going to have to win 11 straight to get one. All this following Conors instant rematch against a 155 gatekeeper, after one of the best fighters in the history of combat sports can't get one.
He's contributed a lot financially to the UFC, but hes been awful for the 145 division.

Fuck you and your money fights, accountant weirdo

You & your 12 buddehs are more than welcome to compensate the UFC fully on what Conor makes them in PPV. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to listen to your demands of what Conor should do then.

Until that day, the casuals who buy McGregor PPVs are the customers keeping the business afloat for the UFC, and that's who the UFC will listen to, not some irrelevant Aldo fanboy who streams their PPVs for free.

Conor's contribution since winning the belt is that the most clear number one contender in the sport didn't get a much deserved title shot, and Max Holloway is probably going to have to win 11 straight to get one. All this following Conors instant rematch against a 155 gatekeeper, after one of the best fighters in the history of combat sports can't get one.
He's contributed a lot financially to the UFC, but hes been awful for the 145 division.

Conor has raised Aldo's profile in 2 years more than Aldo has done himself in the last 6. Anybody who fights him gets massive paydays. Mendes got 500k disclosed pay against Conor. Since when did FW contenders get 500K paydays? You're severely underestimating his contributions to FW. Look at the casual interest, look at the financials. Don't just get stuck in the fact that oh, he's not defending his belt.

He's done more for the division than Aldo ever has. He gets to call his shots.

IMO until you defend you are not a real champ sorry if this makes you all butt hurt but I'm old school and in the end when the books are written and it's years down the road... Guys like GSP, Jones etc will go down as Champs for defending their title... Everything else don't matter....

Just feel lately people are becoming Champs and are holding it hostage to make money and power to them but for me as a fan since the beginning...
If your legacy matters to you..then defend....that is all...

And for Conor I don't care if he fights Aldo or whomever defend or move on

First of all I respect all fighters who step in the cage... I've been around since day one of the UFC

I think it was Matt Hughes who said something along the lines of; your not a champ till you defended your title... Love what Conor has done for the sport but he needs to either sh!t or get off the pot already... That goes for Woodley too...

Your not a real champ until you defend your TITLE

I don't disagree with that sentiment... but that's not what it means to be a "paper champ."

These are two entirely different issues.

First of all I respect all fighters who step in the cage... I've been around since day one of the UFC

I think it was Matt Hughes who said something along the lines of; your not a champ till you defended your title... Love what Conor has done for the sport but he needs to either sh!t or get off the pot already... That goes for Woodley too...

Your not a real champ until you defend your TITLE

Woodley has been champ for around 29 days and 21 hours. I'm willing to cut him a little more slack than McGregor.

How about at least one Title defense??? To show your win is not a fluke??? You know????
So i guess in football or baseball you have to win back to back championships to prove it wasnt a fluke? Am i getting it right

I'm asking you where you picked your number from. I'm asking how it isn't random. It seems like you pulled it out of your ass. Is there a rule or law somewhere that says "you must win 2 title fights exactly to be champion" ? Why isn't 1 enough? If it's not, then why is 2 suddenly enough? Why not more than 2? I just want to make sure there's some reasoning behind this magic number 2. Sounds like you're just talking nonsense, don't you think?

Well... he has the terminology wrong (a paper champion is someone who is a champion on paper, while everyone else knows the real champion is out there, but doesn't hold the belt for some reason that is not directly related to combat in the ring or cage).

BUT the idea that a champion is someone who DEFENDS a championship isn't entirely unheard of.

That's where the "magic" number comes from... it isn't 2; it's 1.

i.e. You won a the title by winning a title fight as a challenger, but you still haven't won a title fight as a champion.

It's a little like the difference between being President Elect, and being President. The election in November wins you the presidency, sure. But you aren't President until you actually take office and start performing as president.

A lot of people would say that a champion's "office" is in the ring or the cage. So he wins the championship at the conclusion of his successful title fight as a challenger. For the entire course of that fight, though, the former champion is still the champion. The new champion does not start performing his duties as champion until he actually defends the title in the next fight.

Mind you, if we go by that reasoning, the new champion doesn't have to actually WIN that fight. It's the act of stepping in there and defending that makes him a champion (for however briefly that may last).

So i guess in football or baseball you have to win back to back championships to prove it wasnt a fluke? Am i getting it right

In football or baseball the league can't handpick your schedule to get you a title.

He got a title shot while avoiding Edgar, Mendes, Lamas, Lentz, Bermudez. Basically anyone with wrestling. Also didn't fight Jeremy Stephens and his frightening knockout power. Nice, safe Dennis Siver, who accidentally took him down twice by stumbling into him.

Then Aldo got injured. Frankie Edgar within seconds was on Twitter campaigning hard for the Interim Title match. And incidentally was the actual listed #1 contender. The only other option anyone was going respect was Chad Mendes, who had recently gotten his second loss to Aldo and would have a tougher cut. Guess who got chosen?

Surprised they didn't just strip Aldo. I mean sure, it would have been less than a year since his last defense, but it would have been the safer play to get McGregor the title, a simple elevation due to stripping.

So anyhow, he took a fight with the only guy you can win the title against (the champion), and won.

Hasn't been seen at 145 since. Probably partly because he is always holding the people who built him hostage for money, and stripping him or having him lose the title would remove their "champions clause" leverage.

Carlos Condit has a paper championship.

Your comparing a sport with TEAMS to MMA??? If you kids dont understand that you need to DEFEND the F@CKING TITLE TO BE A CHAMP...then you guys are more lost than I thought..

Some other paper chumps :

Mark Coleman
Frank Mir
Kevin Randleman
Fabricio Werdum
Bas Rutten
Big Nog
Shane Carwin
LHW Randy Couture
Forrest Griffin
Shogun Rua
Rashad Evans
Vitor Belfort

In football or baseball the league can't handpick your schedule to get you a title.

He got a title shot while avoiding Edgar, Mendes, Lamas, Lentz, Bermudez. Basically anyone with wrestling. Also didn't fight Jeremy Stephens and his frightening knockout power. Nice, safe Dennis Siver, who accidentally took him down twice by stumbling into him.

Then Aldo got injured. Frankie Edgar within seconds was on Twitter campaigning hard for the Interim Title match. And incidentally was the actual listed #1 contender. The only other option anyone was going respect was Chad Mendes, who had recently gotten his second loss to Aldo and would have a tougher cut. Guess who got chosen?

Surprised they didn't just strip Aldo. I mean sure, it would have been less than a year since his last defense, but it would have been the safer play to get McGregor the title, a simple elevation due to stripping.

So anyhow, he took a fight with the only guy you can win the title against (the champion), and won.

Hasn't been seen at 145 since. Probably partly because he is always holding the people who built him hostage for money, and stripping him or having him lose the title would remove their "champions clause" leverage.
Im just going with what you said
Your comparing a sport with TEAMS to MMA??? If you kids dont understand that you need to DEFEND the F@CKING TITLE TO BE A CHAMP...then you guys are more lost than I thought..
When you beat current champion your the new champion..... i guess you miss the part when bruce buffer announces that every time. Im not sure what your not understanding. Just even though alvaraz will lose to connor without successfully defending the belt he was at one time the champion. Now it does look bettet when you successfully defend the belt it doesnt take away the fact that you were at one point the champion. You sound unintelligent when you sprew that nonsense above.. if you look through the history of champions you will see that there is numerous people who have won the belt and became CHAMPION but didnt not successfully defend the title the next time.. guess what, they were still champion when they won the belt... not much more u can say for you to understand this.

Back