Palhares leg lock last night. Do you think...? (not a grease thead)

ZuZitsu**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you think....

He took advantage of a situation where Nate threw his legs up?

OR

Do you think he set up leg lock by pretending to attempt an arm bar, knowing the legs would be there?

I honestly don't know! Ive watched it over and over trying to figure it out. Either as soon as he sees a leg he immediately grabs it, or he takes advantage of the fact that most people do not pay as much attention to their legs as they do their arms and neck.

IF it was a set up....I am utterly impressed!! And if he just took advantage of Nates legs being there I think Im equally impressed!! That is some high level stuff right there! The speed in which he snatched up Nates leg was freightening!

Im telling you right now....NOBODY wants to fight Palhares! That guy can end your career!

Here is the video for you (I hope posting a link isn't against the forum rules...it was on free TV so Im assuming its fine)

Nate Marquardt vs. Rousimar Palhares UFN 22 Video - Fights MMA Video Details

Last edited:
Nah, I hate to say it but I think he was looking to go for the arm and it missed but of course the speed in which he changed attack was impressive.

I think he ws looking for an arm also. But since he's known for leg attacks they are just a reflex practically when he see them.

Honestly it didn't look to me like there was that much setup to that heel hook attempt, and that's part of the reason why it didn't work. It looked like he scrambled and grabbed the leg at the first possible moment and tried to crank it as fast as he could but lost control of it when he fell back and Nate spun out. If he had set it up and had it locked on perfectly Nate wouldn't have been able to spin out (and he came out and apologised and admitted that Nate was not greased).

Paul Harris needs to become a more well-rounded fighter instead of crying to the ref when his one go-to submission doesn't work.

Could have been both. In grappling, if you're using one move to set up the other, the first move has to be an earnest attempt, and you have to take it if you get it. He would have to really go for the arm, in order to get the legs coming up.

Example: Hip bump triangle. You are thinking triangle, you set up with the hip bump sweep. But you have to really go for the sweep in order to get him to base out properly. And if you get the sweep, you don't give it up and go for the triangle. You take the sweep and achieve mount.

So he wanted the leg, but he was also really going for the armbar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back