• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pacquiao vs Ugas Aug.21st FOX PBC PPV

I just realized that Juan Manuel Marquez has a very "Cuban-like" style because of Nacho Beristain's coaching. On some level Ugas knows this and will exploit it.

I wouldn't really say that, but Ugas has a very distinctive style, Cuban or not. I don't think there's many real comparisons for him regardless of what nationality you search for. Beristain's style is distinctly Mexican in its own right. Not every Mexican style involves a guy trying to act out Julio Cesar Chavez. It's a big place with a lot of boxers.

The big thing that worries me with Ugas is his pace and workrate. I'm not too worried about his defense past round 2 or 3. I'm not worried about him controlling the range, or punishing Pac to the body. I'm worried about leaving enough there to give Pac the decision. Because Ugas fights at only one pace and doesn't really blow out anyone, regardless of quality. He'll likely do enough to "earn" a decision, but he's not getting anything unless it's very clear, and he doesn't really beat guys emphatically.

What really does make Ugas dangerous is his body work and massive experience against southpaws (obviously in the amateurs against the plethora of Cuban southpaws and also in the pros).

Last edited:
A 10-round lightweight clash headlines the PBC on FOX prelude to the Pay-Per-View broadcast, featuring southpaw Frank Martin (13-0, 10 KOs), of Indianapolis, IN, against Ryan Kielczweski (30-5, 11 KOs), of Quincy, MA. Trained by Derrick James, Martin took a huge step up in his last fight on April 20,knocking out 13-0 prospect Jerry Perez in the seventh round. Asweeping left hook to the chin dropped Perez in the seventh round then Martin ended matters with a barrage against the ropes. Kielczweski, the 32-year-old New England veteran, has lost two of his last three bouts, going the distance with unbeaten prospect Gabriel Flores Jr. and Tommy Coyle.

Six-foot-seven heavyweight Steven Torres (4-0, 4 KOs), of Reading, PA, will test his power against Justin Rolfe (6-2-1, 4 KOs), of Fairfield, ME, who has gone the distance in his two losses. Those defeats came against notable opponents Steve Vukosa and Mike Marshall. Once hitting the scales at an obese 400 pounds, the 23-year-old Torres took up boxing as a youth to lose weight and has averaged 250 pounds in his 2020 ring outings.

Jose Valenzuela (8-0, 5 KOs), a 22-year-old Mexican lightweight from Seattle, WA, faces one-time prospect Donte Strayhorn (12-3, 4 KOs), from Cincinnati, OH, in an eight-round bout. Valenzuela began boxing at age 11, finding success as an amateur, winning the Ringside National Championships and Washington State Golden Gloves tournament. Strayhorn took a hiatus from boxing following his third loss, in August 21016, but returned in 2020, picking up two victories.

Pacquiao 146 Ugas 147

Hearing rumors that Ugas has a left bicep injury

Any qualified MDs on here to assess?

Time stamped:

Last edited:
Holy fuck I cannot believe Victor Ortiz is fighting The Ghost Robert Guerrero

What a titillating and compelling matchup

I just realized that Juan Manuel Marquez has a very "Cuban-like" style because of Nacho Beristain's coaching. On some level Ugas knows this and will exploit it.
I agree if they have another 3 fights Ugas might with the 4th one.

Ugas looks huge next to Pac. It's nuts that Pacquiao is still fighting at such a high level. I wish I could still like him but his shit about LGBTQ+ folks and paling around with Duterte makes it really hard to like him these days.

Great, excuses from the get go. If he steps through the ropes hes ready.

Being injured going into a fight is completely normal for lots of fighters but i swear to god if we hear injury excuses after this one.

I know i always use Naoya as an example but if he loses his next fight to Donaire, Cas or someone else and then days later it comes out that he had a broken hand i won't be making excuses. If you step through the ropes injured it's on your head if you lose, don't make excuses, and fans who make excuses for their favourite fighters need to get a grip.

Stay on topic guys... If you want to talk politics go to the War Room... This discussion is about Boxing.

Also don't forget to get your votes in in the ***Official*** RBR ;)

^^^^^ Got it. Also, totally speaking in generalities. Not directing at anyone here, just musing.

Back