• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pacquiao v Bradley Discussion Continued

BluntTrauma21

Broner Brodie / Pulev Posse
@Gold
Reaction score
I see alot of differing opinions about the scoring of the fight and breakdown the performances of both guys. What rounds were controlled by who etc.?

BKMMAFAN had a good idea for a poll so I'll post it once I figure out how to do this shit.

EDIT: The bottom option on the poll is for Bradley 116-112 (or higher). My bad.

Last edited:
Will get merged. Watching the live broadcast I had it 114-114.

,Watching a replay ,I had Bradley winning the first 4 rounds, Pac the next 5 and Bradley the last 3. 115-113 Bradley.

No bitchfest please. If you'd like me to explain a round, I'll gladly do it. Lets try to keep the thread a mature one.

I am not voting since I don't know very much about boxing scoring but this being probably the first fight I saw live the decision had me sitting there scratching my head. Maybe it's the announcers, maybe it's the fact that Pacquiao's face is plastered all over the place I don't know but I thought he won pretty soundly.

This poll, should i vote for how I saw it live or how I saw it on review?

This poll, should i vote for how I saw it live or how I saw it on review?

Judges don't get a second chance to watch it so why should you? Go with your first scorecard I say.

I rewatched the fight three more times since Saturday and had way different scores than when I watched it live. Being shitfaced around a bunch of people isn't the best way to score a fight. I kept score on my forearm for God's sake, lol.

Directly after the fight I was pissed. I'm not a Pac fan but I thought he was blantantly robbed. After watching it a second, third, and fourth time sober and more attentive I had the fight much closer.

Watching live I only had Tim winning one round, 119-109 Pac. I scored it a draw, 115-113 Pac, and 116-112 for Pac the three times I've watched since.

I still think Pacquiao deserved to win but it wasn't the robbery I or alot of others thought it was immediately after it happened.

Bradley won rounds 10-12 b/c he was more active and Manny did almost nothing. I do think the 11th was pretty close but I still think Bradley swept the last three, making the scores alot closer than they should've been. Pacquiao fucked himself by taking his foot off the gas IMO.

It should be noted that I'm not biased in any way. I could give a shit who won the fight, I'm just calling it like I see it.

I had it 10 rounds to 2 but could have been convinced to give bradley a 3rd. Pac hits bradley, bradley's head snaps back. Bradley hits pac and nothing happens. Add the fact that Pac was more accurate and busier, and you have an easy pac win. Bradley rarely hit anything but glove.

I had Pacquiao and Bradley splitting the first 4 rounds and once I had Pac winning 3 of the first 4. I had Pac winning the next 7 rounds, then Bradley taking the last 3. One time I scored the 8th for Bradley as well which was the draw score I came out with,

I can see that ringside the fight looked close. Watching on the telecast angles you can see Pac blocking 90% of Bradleys punches. Bradley legitimately won 1, 11, 12..

I can see that ringside the fight looked close. Watching on the telecast angles you can see Pac blocking 90% of Bradleys punches. Bradley legitimately won 1, 11, 12..

You can say the same about Mannys punches. There is no way in hell he landed 35 punches in round 4.

I had it 115-113 Manny, but I have no problem seeing it 115-113 for Bradley.

Anyone who doesnt give Bradley at least 4 or 5 rounds is a person whos opinion can be disregarded.

Seano:
Continued from the previous discussion. I agree that the example you mentioned would/should be considered an effective punch, but I also feel that punches that do damage/power punches should be given given a scoring priority. This is because defensive punching or jabs are generally used as a means to an end (ie. setting up the power shot or preventing your opponent from setting up his own combination), whereas power punches are generally what the fighter is looking to setup.

The same argument can be made for scoring aggression/ring control. It is a secondary scoring criteria due to the fact that the guy moving forward or dictating the pace of the fight might be getting his face punched in as a result. It's hard to justify scoring that with the same weight as damaging your opponent since it only grants you an advantage if it allows you to box effectively.

In Bradley's case, the rounds he won were more the result of Pacquaio taking off too much time in a given round (Pac's negative action) rather than anything he landed (Bradley's positive action). I haven't rewatched it yet, but I can't recall any more than say two rounds where I felt Bradley landed more significant punches than Pacquiao.

Seano:
Continued from the previous discussion. I agree that the example you mentioned would/should be considered an effective punch, but I also feel that punches that do damage/power punches should be given given a scoring priority. This is because defensive punching or jabs are generally used as a means to an end (ie. setting up the power shot or preventing your opponent from setting up his own combination), whereas power punches are generally what the fighter is looking to setup.

The same argument can be made for scoring aggression/ring control. It is a secondary scoring criteria due to the fact that the guy moving forward or dictating the pace of the fight might be getting his face punched in as a result. It's hard to justify scoring that with the same weight as damaging your opponent since it only grants you an advantage if it allows you to box effectively.

In Bradley's case, the rounds he won were more the result of Pacquaio taking off too much time in a given round (Pac's negative action) rather than anything he landed (Bradley's positive action). I haven't rewatched it yet, but I can't recall any more than say two rounds where I felt Bradley landed more significant punches than Pacquiao.

I'm not saying you're wrong about most of that but I don't subscribe to the idea that a few good punches in the last 45 seconds erases the rest of the round.

Pac gave up 2 minutes in a round that means he lost most of the round. Give me a reason why something Pac did should void all the work Bradley did. And the thing is, if Bradley wasn't doing SOMETHING to keep Pac from doing what he wanted to do, Bradley would have got knocked out.
I think if you watch closely next time, you'll see that Bradley was getting plenty of shots in himself. I also think you'll see the punch stats were so off that its almost comical.

Just my opinions.

You can say the same about Mannys punches. There is no way in hell he landed 35 punches in round 4.

I had it 115-113 Manny, but I have no problem seeing it 115-113 for Bradley.

Anyone who doesnt give Bradley at least 4 or 5 rounds is a person whos opinion can be disregarded.

Your right, i can give him 4 or 5 rounds.. I just always thought boxing was scored on puches thrown and landed along with damage and ring generalship. I think on those factors it is next to impossible to beat Pac in a decision, i thought Marquez did it, Bradley did have very good defense and frustrated Pac and he did miss quite a bit. I can get over Bradley winning, but Marquez did much more and did it better.

I'm not saying you're wrong about most of that but I don't subscribe to the idea that a few good punches in the last 45 seconds erases the rest of the round.

Pac gave up 2 minutes in a round that means he lost most of the round. Give me a reason why something Pac did should void all the work Bradley did. And the thing is, if Bradley wasn't doing SOMETHING to keep Pac from doing what he wanted to do, Bradley would have got knocked out.
I think if you watch closely next time, you'll see that Bradley was getting plenty of shots in himself. I also think you'll see the punch stats were so off that its almost comical.

Just my opinions.

I'll reserve further comment until I can rewatch the fight and score each round.

Could someone explain to the newb (me) in plain English not the AC mumbo jumbo lingo how exactly to score a boxing match?

Back