PA will sentence criminals while considering the chance of recidivism

PolishHeadlock

Putin Belt
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/08/04/the-new-science-of-sentencing

"Pennsylvania is on the verge of becoming one of the first states in the country to base criminal sentences not only on what crimes people have been convicted of, but also on whether they are deemed likely to commit additional crimes. As early as next year, judges there could receive statistically derived tools known as risk assessments to help them decide how much prison time

Yeah you have to wonder.

I do think the pre-crime approach will be used fairly soon and become widespread, especially with all the data collection that is going on and the consolidation of IT systems.

Of course it will be sold as being good for people, but it is entering strange territory.

Individualized sentences have always made more sense than blanket assumptions about who is going to be a repeat offender and how much time they need to re-enter society.

The only reason we moved away from that is because we couldn't be trusted to apply sentencing in a fair way so we had to legislate it. But if we've improved as a society, hopefully we can start sentencing people in a manner that actually makes sense based on the individual committing the crime.

also...didn't read the link. So I could be talking about of my ass.

Individualized sentences have always made more sense than blanket assumptions about who is going to be a repeat offender and how much time they need to re-enter society.

The only reason we moved away from that is because we couldn't be trusted to apply sentencing in a fair way so we had to legislate it. But if we've improved as a society, hopefully we can start sentencing people in a manner that actually makes sense based on the individual committing the crime.

also...didn't read the link. So I could be talking about of my ass.

Judges fuck up all the time. What makes you think they can be trusted with so much power?

It makes more sense so long as there is some level of oversight and so long as they aren't using a supposed likelihood to recommit to extend sentences. If the maximums are still intact, it makes sense to consider all relevant factors.

Not much different than what is going on now. One guy does 10 years for burglary the other does 18 months. They have an advanced calculative tool of the following equation, "okay how full are the jails right now and how much has this been in the media?"

Judges fuck up all the time. What makes you think they can be trusted with so much power?

Someone has to make those decisions. Would you really rather have it be a blanket decision made for all offenders nationwide by Congress (who fuck up at least as often as judges), or on a case by case basis by legal experts actually familiar with the circumstances?

Everyone likes the idea of harsh mandatory minimum sentences when they think about it in terms of people committing violent crimes against them or their family. Not many people like them if they think about them in terms of their brother getting 25 in prison for possessing a dime bag of weed.

pussy nordic yurop
3qnhdmko7szc.png

'merica
Rrc7udx.jpg

Well, for those of us who know how risk assessments can be used effectively in a variety of situations to make better decisions, I see this as a good move.

I guess I thought this kind of thing was already factored in to some degree, albeit not via statistical analysis.

Not many people like them if they think about them in terms of their brother getting 25 in prison for possessing a dime bag of weed.

Panamaican is. He says those people will just commit other crimes anyway. :D

Well, for those of us who know how risk assessments can be used effectively in a variety of situations to make better decisions, I see this as a good move.

My issue with a system like this is it will pretty much have to be more hard on the poor. Aren't they the ones most likely to commit crime and be in jail?

Panamaican is. He says those people will just commit other crimes anyway. :D

We ever even discussed sentencing. And you simply blew off the swath of people who don't have back up jobs to focus on those who do. Rather than assess their actual economic alternatives, you claim they'll all find new well paying legal jobs.

Unfortunately, you're too personally invested in the marijuana narrative to ever be objective about it - which is why I didn't return to that thread. :icon_sad:

My issue with a system like this is it will pretty much have to be more hard on the poor. Aren't they the ones most likely to commit crime and be in jail?

Yes and no.

While likelihood to reoffend an offense would be part of assessing the level of risk a person represents, predicting severity of offense would likely rate higher. You might have a habitual offender who steals food a lot, and he may get high points for likelihood to reoffend, but a second person who doesn't steal food but is shown to have a moderate likelihood to commit more severe crimes should see more of an impact on their assessment.

Different variables will affect the risk at different levels. A high likelihood of a minor crime being reoffended is an easier risk to accept than a moderate likelihood of a severe crime being reoffended. These determinations would be based on historical data, experts opinion on behaviour and psychological disposition to the offense, etc.

Back