Owned

b0b said:
Today I did some open mat with an Orange belt (Judo). It really opens up your eyes to how effective BJJ is with someone who has been using it for over 6 months. I am a beginner's beginner. I started about 3 weeks ago. He ran a clinic on me. Within 10 seconds, he had me tapping each time. The first time, I got his back(which I am sure he let me do), and he put me right back to guard pretty quickly.. He put me in 2 Kimuras, 1 Americana, 1 Triangle, and 1 weird armbar from side mount, where he just used his legs to put pressure on my elbow. This guy outweighed me by about 30 pounds and was pure muscle too. It was a good experience. It motivated me to get off my ass and go to more classes, that is for sure.

It's not that unreal.......BJJ is awesome.......You learn a lot thru muscle memory. If you roll enough times you can almost PREDICT what the other guy's gonna do next and you'll be just one step ahead of him. I'm 145lbs and I've tapped out guys that were 220+ pounds (It wasn't easy though!)

I''ll give you a story. I recently rolled with this guy (nogi) who had 3+ years of wrestling experience at HS and collegiate level, 6 months of BJJ, 200 lbs. Me? 2 stripe blue, 2 1/2 years BJJ experience, no wrestling background, 4 years experience of getting picked on in HS, 145 lbs. Let's I tapped him with: an armbar from the guard, arm drag to RNC, kimura from the guard, guillotine, and Omo Plata. Then he didn't wanna roll with me anymore b/c he was gassed. Don't get me wrong...I had to work hard for those subs but it was just surprising.

I thought he'd be able to control me or just stall out enough so that I would get tired. Granted his base was very good...and he was able to pin me very well. But he had so much nervous energy he wore himself out and "blew his load".

stephensharp said:
People telling you it does not = having it, though. Still, that's well over a hundred classes, whereas some folks only have somewhere around 70 in that time.

BJ Penn got his black in six years because he had the cash to make BJJ his life, and trained something like 7 days a week, multiple times a day. If you've got the time to attend class nearly every day, you are gonna progress quicker, and I wouldn't be surprised ot hear you get your blue by the end of your first year.

I thought BJ penn got his black belt in bjj in like 3.5 years and second was Lloyd Irvin with i think 4 years.

Back