• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Overrated directors

I do know my audience, and you are drastically underestimating the average film literacy of the Berry.

This is a highly educated cinema-going population on this board.

wIhxNH0.gif

All movies are 'meh'. Movies are a stupid human trick. The whole concept of movies, film, and acting could be wiped from existence and there would be a net positive effect on humanity. Unless you view directors along the same lines of a child making a mud pie, you're over rating them.
<mma4>

Del Toro and Oliver Stone are great choices. I thought Shape of Water was INCREDIBLY overrated.

I'm going to give the unpopular opinion and nominate Tarantino. I still think he's a great director, I just don't think he deserves to be as highly regarded as he is, and I think his body of work still pales in comparison to some of his contemporaries like the Coen Brothers. He's hailed as this creative genius, but his movies are basically amalgamations of hundreds of other movies he's seen over his lifetime.

Reservoir Dogs was basically just City on Fire. Pulp Fiction used the same Chapters format that Jim Jarmusch used in Mystery Train 4 or 5 years earlier. Jules' "My name is the Lord" speech is taken from an old Sonny Chiba film. So many more examples if you want to research.

"I steal from every single movie ever made. If my work has anything, it's that I'm taking this from this and that from that and mixing them together."

And that's Tarantino's brilliance. He steals these elements but makes them into a better package than the original.

All these people that you mention, they're all terrific. Also, dunno how people can say Woody Allen is overrated, he made Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanours, Match Point, Blue Jasmine, Annie Hall, Sweet and Lowdown... he's delivered duds as well, but look at that frickin' list.

Last edited:
Del Toro and Oliver Stone are great choices. I thought Shape of Water was INCREDIBLY overrated.

I'm going to give the unpopular opinion and nominate Tarantino. I still think he's a great director, I just don't think he deserves to be as highly regarded as he is, and I think his body of work still pales in comparison to some of his contemporaries like the Coen Brothers. He's hailed as this creative genius, but his movies are basically amalgamations of hundreds of other movies he's seen over his lifetime.

Reservoir Dogs was basically just City on Fire. Pulp Fiction used the same Chapters format that Jim Jarmusch used in Mystery Train 4 or 5 years earlier. Jules' "My name is the Lord" speech is taken from an old Sonny Chiba film. So many more examples if you want to research.

"I steal from every single movie ever made. If my work has anything, it's that I'm taking this from this and that from that and mixing them together."

And that's Tarantino's brilliance. He steals these elements but makes them into a better package than the original.

Is that not a form of genius in itself though?

All these people that you mention, they're all terrific. Also, dunno how people can say Woody Allen is overrated, he made Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanours, Match Point, Blue Jasmine, Annie Hall, Sweet and Lowdown... he's delivered duds as well, but look at that frickin' list.

Whatever works was simply amazing

Some of these answers are just stupid. M.Night isn’t over rated...he got killed for several of his movies, and had to make a “comeback”. He did some great things and some bad.

Spielberg?... how can someone that did Jaws, ET, Schindlers List, Saving Private Ryan, Raiders, Goonies, Jurassic Park, Minority Report and 20 others be fucking over rated???? He has serious movies, kids movies, sci fi, adventure, War, fantasy, dramas, comedy...look at this dudes range.

If anyone says Denis Villeneuve I’m gonna lose my shit

James Cameron. I love TERMINATOR & ALIENS. I like THE ABYSS. Beyond that, I think he's vastly overrated.

Lol

This whole thread is fucking clown shoes.

So

James Cameron - other than 4 stonking great big scifi classics (T 1&2, Aliens and Abyss), True lies (a goat action comedy), and 2 box office smashes (Titanic and Avatar) , hes overrated.

Hes done just eight films, half or more recognised classics but this numpty thinks hes overrated.

Story of this thread

I like Tarantino films a lot. Idk if his amalgamation of stolen ideas makes him brilliant though, but he definitely makes entertaining films so maybe it doesn't matter.

I like Tarantino films a lot. Idk if his amalgamation of stolen ideas makes him brilliant though, but he definitely makes entertaining films so maybe it doesn't matter.

For sure, I enjoy his movies a lot and consider him a great director.

Hands down Michael Bay. He destroyed 2 great franchises in Transformers and TMNT.

Last edited:
Shamalayauanananayanan

Tarentino

Snyder

Jackson

Bay for fucking up the turtles.

Back