Overpowering/straightening leg on a kneebar, anyone has any tips?

DiGriz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been working on my kneebars for a while and they are getting better, thanks to Steve Kesting's DVD Dynamic Kneebars(my reccomendations, nothing is better for improving your kneebars) and I'm getting better and better at setting them up, but I have a common problem
of straightening the opponents leg, if you for example have a setup done and the opponent just bends his leg to prevent your kneebar, how do you straighten it?- I know the ways to get round triangling the legs-no problems with that, but do you just simply overpower it(leg to straighten)? I heard tips like first underhook your arm under the kneejoint and pull it to your chest ect- I do it anyway, so any ideas how can I improve on the actually pulling and straingtening leg to finish the kneebar.

I like to cup the heel with one hand and wrap my other arm around the calve. Obviously your back is doing most of the work stretching the leg out, but I've had the most success grabbing at the heel initially as a helper. I don't know if you're doing that already. I also find for some reason I have an easier time getting kneebars if I'm on my back or on my side. Not so much when I'm face down.

Pull at the heel. The further you pull down the leg, the more leverage you have.

Make sure you hug the leg and then extend your back muscles while still hugging it.

Don't use them arms

First off, don't ever "simply overpower" to get a kneebar during training. You'll hurt someone or even blow someones knee and hamstring.

The most important part of a kneebar, heelhook, ankle lock, etc...is to pinch your knees together tightly around the leg that you are attacking. Just like an armbar, drag your forearms along his calf up to his ankle keeping it pressed tightly against your chest. NEVER CRANK. just like an armbar, slowly apply the hips. The problem is that there aren't many nerves around the knee, so a person doesn't feel the pain until it's too late. so always use caution.

dont pull with your arms, just pin the leg on your chest and thrust it with your hips.

He is not talking about the finish, he's talking about how to extend the leg.

Thanks for the tips
Yes, I was looking for tips on how to extend the leg.
In overpowering I meant extending it, once I get it straight I usually finish it without problems. I've been on grapplearts.com and read the articles on Kneebar QnA and
kneebar mastery, but neither of them do actually give advise on straightening the leg. So is it better to fall to the side while extending the leg? I found grabbing the heel as a good thing once the leg started extending but if its fully bent its quite problematic to pull it out by the heel.
Got another question as well- I heard many people say as well as on this thread its good to make your back do the work -when i finish the kneebar I always use my back (wrapping ur arms around the leg)- so is it any practical to reach over and try grabbing his foot, in a grip(like wrapping ur arms as i said before) 2 straighten the leg?

If you simply just can't for whatever reason, toehold the other leg in the triangle. It's rather common for them to triangle their leg being attacked so grab the other leg and toehold.

I know you were asking for straightening the leg advice but sometimes it's best to flow from submission to submission and be able to threathen from multiple angles.

Plus all the other grappling studs responded already. :(

dig your wrist/forearm into his achilles(sp?) tendon, it will weaken his ability to curl his leg substantially

Thanks
The best way to improve is to practice practice practice...
P.S
Anyone knows any good vids of kneebar applied on youtube ect? or any grapplers famous for kneebarring people? I onlu know Eduardo Telles, and peolpe like Yoshida or Imanari are just good at leglocks overall.

Thanks
The best way to improve is to practice practice practice...
P.S
Anyone knows any good vids of kneebar applied on youtube ect? or any grapplers famous for kneebarring people? I only know Eduardo Telles, and peolpe like Yoshida or Imanari are just good at leglocks overall.

Good advice so far. I think it also depends on whether you are hitting the knee bar from a top or bottom position. Initially, when attacking from top I used to hook the knee, fall to the side and let my arm slide up to the foot. That works, but now I really like to extend the leg with me as I stand, cup the heel (with both hands, if possilbe), then fall to the side. For me this makes it much easier to lock the leg in an extended possition.

Thanks for advise
Today I've been grappling with my friend and i was purposely trying to set up the kneebar from different positions and try different varients of extending the leg.
First of all as everyone said falling to the side makes it a lot easier. But the main reason why is that you can push off his butt with your heels. It makes it SO EASY to overpower his leg. It said it in Dynamic Kneebars but before it I didn't pay that much attention to this detail.Yes, and of course before you fall to the side hook up his knee. And as Greatsleep spotted its a lot easier and quicker to lock it from an extended position anyway:D

Back