overhook with gi

zicherja

White Belt
Reaction score
one of my favorite setups is to overhook and trap oppenents arm by grabbing the his collar. This leaves choke to armbar transitions and triangle opportunities.

What are other submissions available from the overhook? How can you get that overhooked arm in an armbar?

So you grab around the arm & inside to grab his collar? Am I understanding that correctly? I like the idea of that as you have their trapped. I need to understand how to work the gi more. I've been getting too prone on doing a diagonal inside collar grip (e.g. right hand in opponents right collar) with my thumb outside.

catch his free arm sleeve with the hand you're using to control his collar, if he doesn't collapse on you, instant arm bar

try to push away from him to the side of the trapped arm and use your overhooking elbow to put pressure on his trapped arm for the arm bar, if you can use your head or neck to put reverse pressure on his hand

don't forget all of the chokes and sweeps...use a choke to help catch the free arm, as in my first example

zicherja:
one of my favorite setups is to overhook and trap oppenents arm by grabbing the his collar. This leaves choke to armbar transitions and triangle opportunities.

What are other submissions available from the overhook? How can you get that overhooked arm in an armbar?
I love that hold. From the guard you have lapel choke, armbar, triangle, omo plata and possibly the Mir shoulder lock. From the top you have the brabo choke as well.

It's the one he does on Pete Williams, he has an overhook with the opponents arm bent, twisting it like an americana. It's on subfighter.com.

Is it the one where you get an overhook inside their bent elbow then pull their arm towards their opposite arm to twist the shoulder ? I know that move standing, but I never saw it done on the ground. If it's done without a gi, if the arm is sweaty the other guy can usually get free.

Half Boston Crab said:
It's the one he does on Pete Williams, he has an overhook with the opponents arm bent, twisting it like an americana. It's on subfighter.com.

i hadn't thought of that, but i'm gonna try it on sunday

Back