Overeem's striking skills.. what do you think of it?

Would have been over a lot quicker if not for that ridiculous two-hand knee ban (see 1:56 left in the rd)

Yeah Ben was a second away from eating a Uberknee

I loved that fight. It was a lesson in using the overhand right (and not the fastball MMA variant). Alistair threw four of them and got KDs from half.

I think that "Alistair Overeem is frickin' huge".
He certainly knows how to pick his spots. Didn't miss more than two strikes.

Incredible striking. The best in all of MMA for sure.
The thing with Overeem's development is the fact that he has been showing alot of improved solid defense and timing nowadays, instead of just brute strength.
The scary thing with Alistair is, he has crazy strength and size, with the gas tank to boot, and his technique is almost perfect. He is one scary fighter, especially in MMA, because he is easily the greatest striker in all of MMA (please, spare me the "Anderson Silva is the best"-nonsense), with very good ground game, and a killer guillotine that is every wrestler's nightmare, and a rock solid gas tank.
I'd pick Overeem against any MMA-fighter today, other than Fedor, to be honest.

He would merk Brock in 2 minutes.
JDS has shown good offensive boxing but seems to lack the defense to handle a striker of Alistair's calibre, so he would most likely get smoked as well.

I have a feeling 2010 and 2011 is going to be amazing years for Alistair. Can't wait for Dec. 2nd, the K1 finals is going to be siiick

It was an amazing fight

And a standard reminder of how much I hate the voice.

I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING! I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING! I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING

In one word: Amazing.

Alistair has developed his striking game to the point where he has counterpunching ability, versatile strikes, tight defense, and powerful punches/kicks/knees.

Look at the vid in the OP and compare that performance to the one Alistair had against Peter Aerts. You will notice how much more patient Overeem has become. He analyzed Ben's aggresive stance, timed his punches, and countered with a beautiful right hook / overhand right that dropped Ben to the canvas. He rinsed and repeated this two more times to get the TKO victory.

Without doubt, there is no one in MMA who can stand with him. IMO, Badr and Semmy are probably the only two K1 superstars that crack him (and that statement alone speaks volumes about how much his striking skills have evolved).

It was an amazing fight

And a standard reminder of how much I hate the voice.

I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING! I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING! I TOLD YOU HE COULD TAKE A BEATING

"the voice" is a fat fucking idiot.. and a microphone-warrior :icon_lol:

the voice is annoying

edwards is a scrub

i lost interest in k1 with the recent ban on clinch rules. fucking watered down

I always thought Overeem had the skills to be a good fighter, he was just fuckin' insanely skinny. Now that it at a proper weight, he can execute his skills effectively.

What an animal, guy's really just hitting his prime.

Last edited:
not a big fan of overeem. I still remember the 205 Reem who was good but wasnt the Horse meat eating monster he is now. I dont like to hate on a fighter, because i think overeem is a great fighter.

Personally, i rather see him "horse meat" free at 205 or fighting by JDS, carwin or Cain in UFC at heavyweight. His size and strength often wins him his fights. I want to see him against somebody his size and strength means nothing to.

I think he is a little overrated.

He's not as fast as he used to be. He still have good timing, but he dos not throws combinations anymore, only one shot at the time.

And his boxing skills sucks, but he does have good timing and power.

He has improved his pacing compared to his fight with Chuck Liddell. But he is playing with fire by relying on that high guard defense. That strategy should be employed by people with good chins, who can shrug off the odd punch that slips the guard. Overeem still has a shaky chin and he even seemed to be mildly stunned by the combo at 2:48.

His size and strength often wins him his fights. I want to see him against somebody his size and strength means nothing to.

His opponent was 11lbs. heavier.

He is far better than other heavyweights in MMA. But I do think he put on a bit too much weight. He seems a little more restricted in his movement than before he put on all that muscle.

true. i dont think i ever seen him do a high kick since he became a heavy weight..

then again: i dont think he need it

Imagine seeing a monster like Overeem on the other side of the ring.
If it were me I'd be thinking of a new career.

Back