Overall Is WSW a Better Division Than WBW?

ufcfan1986

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, watching Ronda kill someone is always fun. Also, there's a handful of talented fighters like Miesha Tate and well...not much else really.

Also, not going to lie. This thread was partly inspired by just how much Holly Holms has sucked despite UFC hyping her hard. I'm sure she'll get the next shot after Tate. And I'm sure Ronda will murder her.

Overall? Yes, I think so. But I would add McMann, Davis, and Zingano to your list of talented fighters at 135.

For reasons I don't understand, the striking at WSW generally looks a lot more natural than WBW.

Overall? Yes, I think so. But I would add McMann, Davis, and Zingano to your list of talented fighters at 135.

For reasons I don't understand, the striking at WSW generally looks a lot more natural than WBW.

Yeah I agree about the striking, rose, Joanna, they move very fluidly and strike with technique lime the men do.

Rhonda "best striker ever" was just flailing yesterday

It's probably the same as it is with men, the smaller ppl have better movement, its easier to operate lighter machinery.

I think the SW division is deeper and that gives the overall impression of it being better. If JJ cleans out the division in dominating fashion like Ronda has done then its going to look a lot weaker.

I think the SW division is deeper and that gives the overall impression of it being better. If JJ cleans out the division in dominating fashion like Ronda has done then its going to look a lot weaker.

Not really JoJed is probably on her way to be as dominant as Honda if she finishes Claudia. And the division still looks better.
Girls with the skillset of Carmouche reach the top 10 on 135.

Another thing I've thought about,

It seems like women's bodies are well-suited to a strong kicking game, but I can't remember seeing any effective kicking in WMMA beyond leg kicks.

Yes I think so, There are more fighters that are competitive among each other in the top 10

WBW has a very clearly defined pecking order, with a Dominant champ, 2-3 big dogs (Tate, Zingano and mcmann if you stretch it)

It seems Joanna and Claudia are the only 2 females in the UFC who can really strike

Claudia deserves as much scrutiny as Cyborg. She was easily 2 weight classes bigger than poor Aguilar.

SW has some really good strikers among the women. They may not have crushing power but they just look totally at ease with it. Johanna champion of course but there are others. Some not even in the UFC. One that stood out to me is Alexa Grasso in Invicta.

BW is mostly like watching a lot of uncoordinated girls throw a baseball. They often look clumsy for the most part. Even Ronda looks bad technically in actual fights. Holm is an outlier among the BW's and even she hasn't looked that great so far.

A lot of people like the strawweights better, but when it comes down to it, they're about even. Of the women's top 30 p4p, about 40% are bantamwweights, 40% are straweights, with the other 20% being atomweights, flyweights and featherweight (no 's').

Question for the TS: Why do you call the 115 division "WSW" instead of simply SW?

Yes, there isn't a gulf between number 1 and 2 or between 1-5 as there is at 135. At 135, its the Rousey division and they just gonna feed her until she retires. At 115, there are at least 2 equals and maybe 2-3 other girls the could win the gold.

They're better looking too. And that's the important thing.

It seems Joanna and Claudia are the only 2 females in the UFC who can really strike

I agree that these two are the best strikers, but there are a few more "good strikers" in this division..

Rose Namajunes
Tecia Torres
Angela Hill
Randa Markos (a grappler whose striking is developing nicely)
Bec Rawlings

I agree that these two are the best strikers, but there are a few more "good strikers" in this division..

Rose Namajunes
Tecia Torres
Angela Hill
Randa Markos (a grappler whose striking is developing nicely)
Bec Rawlings

Jojo?

No, they're just smaller, faster, more agile, younger, more conventionally attractive, and more striker-y.

None of those are things that make them objectively 'better'.

Back