• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Out of these movie monologues - Which are the 5 best? (First Elimination Bracket)

What's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you've seen the movie then you'll understand the context better. Regardless, Cruise in Magnolia has some of the best actual monologues that you'll see.

Robert Shaw takes it for me, the story behind the acting with the drunk Bob Shaw/crumpled not crumpled Richard Dreyfuss shirt make it stand out.

Also voted Julia Roberts and Sydney Poitier

I want to throw honorable mentions to Rutger Hauer in Blade zrunner, though it's more a soliloquy.

Also Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.

Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner is definitely a monologue. It's in this tourney. : - )

Would the park bench scene from Good Will Hunting be considered a monologue?

If so, that would be my #1:

1.) Good Will Hunting Park Bench Scene
2.) Alec Baldwin's Glengarry Glen Ross scene

Not sure on #3 yet.

Robin Williams Good Will Hunting is certainly a monologue. And it's in as well.

I'd like to nominate Colonel Sanders from the Matrix Reloaded where he talked rambled for like 5 minutes straight and kept saying "ergo" a lot.

But seriously, Mel Gibson's freedom speech from Braveheart.

Last edited:
Dang, this will be tough. I went with The Don, Quint, Maximus, Mickey and Patton and you know Col Jessup is coming with You Can't handle the Truth in another thread. First round I'd give to Robert Shaw. His USS Indianapolis scene was fucking spectacular.

1. Robert Shaws-Jaws
2. Marlon Brando- The Godfather
3. Sigourney Weaver-Aliens
4. Hugo Weaving-The Matrix
5. Burgess Meredith-Rocky 2

Back