Out of state family funerals which ones do you go to?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A cousin of mine recently passed away and it's out of state about 1200 miles away. I feel bad because I love the guy and he was a good man, vietnam veteran purple hart tank driver he is getting the full military deal with the 21 guns salute and the band playing and all that stuff. I told my mom i wont be able to make it because its just not a good time for me to be traveling out of state right now with all that I have on my plate. t would be very epensive for me to fly there right now and I would have to buy a set of clothes because I dont have any black funeral apporpriate clothes and i would either have to find someplace to stay or find a hotel, also expensive. I said if it was grandma or one of my uncles I would for sure go but honestly the last time I saw this cousin he didnt remember who I was I dont think (he was 70) and I know a lot of people probably wouldnt come to my funeral being several states away, and I wouldnt blame them for that either.

Distance wouldn’t really affect my decision. Being busy might though

Depends what the card is like

Shoot some rounds off at home and make it a 22 gun salute.

I don't go to funerals...so that solves the problem. Funerals are just a way for society to squeeze more money out of a person one last time. I have effectively "sequestered" myself to mourn for a day or two over the years for good friends (lost a few solid military buddies), but I won't spend my time going to an expensive funeral. As you stated the travel time, time off work, potential cost of clothes / general travel expenses...it gets to be too much. Nobody I know would want to put me through that kind of hardship just so I could go to their funeral, and the reverse is also true.

Either way sorry to hear about your cousin dying...sounds like he was a tough SOB and my respects to a fellow Tanker.

I don't do funerals. The person who died doesn't care, they're dead. Everyone else is there to get attention and to "out-sad" the others.

I don’t think any family has ever had a funeral out of state.

Grandparents , brother, sister, parents would be the only ones . Although when I was in college my grandparents in Ireland died and I didn’t go ... but that’s another country . Still out of state I guess .

when my cousin died of liver failure I didn't go to his funeral it was just too depressing. I avoid funerals when I can.

Only have gone when they were in NJ just across the river. Any others, forget it.

None.

Just like destination weddings. Not gonna be able to make it.

Who's more important to you, the deceased or their family?

Back