Ouano lightweight gi

cheath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bought an Ouano lightweight gi, but it's too big and I won't be able to wear it. I didn't roll it in, so I can't review it from that aspect, but I did want to post up my experience with the sizing since it might help somebody (as sizing is a big issue for many people when buying a gi they can't first try on).

I'm about 6'2, 190lbs, with a 34 waist 34 inseam, and a pretty athletic build. Going by the Ouano size chart I bought the A4 which is for 6'1-6'4, 215-235. I went with this because even though I'm way off the weight category, I fit into the height category, and I get tired of A3 pants that shrink up to be high waters and sleeves that are too short. I figured sinch up the pants and I should be good with length. Anyway, when I got it out of the box I knew that it was way too big, but I figured if I washed it in warm water and put it in the dryer that I could shrink it up, so I tried that (which then cost me not being able to return it!). My other two gi's are A3, and they shrunk up to the point where I don't like them, so I figured I'd shrink up this A4 and it would be perfect.

This thing BARELY shrunk if it did so at all! No more than an inch on the sleeves of the jacket and the inseam. I mean, this thing took a warm water cycle and a full high heat dry cycle. Still damn near as big as it was when I bought it.

I don't know about a lot of company sizing charts, but I would definitely say Ouano is pretty on par. The A3 tops out at 6'1 215lbs probably would've been just fine based off the size of this A4 that is just too big to even wear. People would grab the wrists and control me like crazy.

Interesting that you just posted this. I just got a lightweight Ouano this week as well. I'm 6-2, 185. I should state up front that I HATE baggy gis. For this reason I've been buying A2 Korals forever. The pants are a tad short, but no shorter than they are on Jacare in the ads on jjpg. Other than that A2 Korals fit me like a glove. They're light, durable and slim fitting. Anyway I decided to roll the dice and get one of the black Ounaos because it looked sweet. I went with the A3.

In sum, the thing fits really, really poorly. I washed/dried it three times and the top is still really baggy and the pants are gigantic in the waist, three inches too short and really baggy. I feel like the pants would fit a really short fat guy. I wore the gi to class last night and really hated it. As I got sweatier, it got baggier and harder to deal with. I have to say I'm super disappointed, as it's a good looking gi. I won't be buying another Ouano.

The lesson I've learned from this experience: if you find a brand/size of gi that fits, don't ever buy anything else. Different brands are cut so differently and the sizes are so disparate that it's a real pain. Not to mention how expensive it is to buy a gi and end up not being able to wear it.

I am sorry that you guys did not have good luck with yours, but the cons of what you guys have had to deal with makes it sound better for me to get one. I am a short, barrel chested person, so maybe that is the kind of gi I need to get my hands on. It seems like most of the gis are made for more tall and slender folk.

Thats funny that you claim the Koral is slim fitting because it is widely known it is once of the widest in the trunk area of most Gis.

first off my ouano fits perfect I ordered an a2 I am 5/7 and my weight fluxuates between 155-164.I have broad shoulders that probably is why itmakes the top fit me perfectly no shrinking needed. Also the pants are a little long but really comfortable with a drastring that makes it easy to get your size waist with just a lttle shrinking it's fine, AS for training in I really like it pretty lightweight,looks better than most i have seen. It does soak up sweat but not really bad prbably bacause sometimes i use my sleeve as a towel. After many washes it still looks good.The color hasnt fadedecept the crest on the inside of the jacket but nobody see's that part. It really isnt ouanos fault you didnt get the right size and didnt check the return policies

but I can say that I love my friends vulkan more than my ouano,dont let this guy's review keep you fromgetting one,just know they are true to size,and personally it is one of the better priceds and looking gi's you can get

99$ at bigjohns website
Ouano Blue Pearl Kimono

Just got a Ouano 99 blue pearl dropped off at the door yesterday. Out of the box it is close to being perfect (top) after the small shrinkage from the first was I should be set, maybe still have a bit of room to play with. The pants fit great in the thighs and are really nice, but are about 2-3 inches too long, thats what happens though when you have a really short inseam though lol. Overall I really like this kimono, and from its initial impression I like it better than my Atama and Kikskin Kompetitor. Will give some more feed back after I get to roll in it.

P.S. Thanks again jp1371 for the heads up about the sale at BJMs place.

I have used a couple other gi's in the past and they usually don't last. I have been using an Ouano gi from the first time he started out. It has lasted for years and it just got its first rip down the seam of the pants 3 months ago. I have since ordered his new design and I love it. I am 6'1" and 200lbs with 34 waist and I got an A3 and it couldn't have fit better. The shrinkage was minimal and it just feels and looks a lot better then any of the other gi's I have used. I highly recommend this one.
Anyone that says they won't buy another one of these because it doesn't fit them right, who's fault is that really?

ghosted - no problem just trying to give the people a another option, and like i said I recieved mine in just a couple of days w/in ordering it

Ya, I ordered mine on Sunday, and it was at my door on Thursday. Thats awesome shipping time. It looks like I am going to have to take mine to a tailor though. Its perfect in the chest, waist and thighs (Im short and stocky), but the sleeves and pants are about 2 inches too long. Other than that I cant complain its awesome and feels really really nice!

i got a blue pearl and i use it as my hot weather gi and i love it...been usin it 1-2 times a week since nov and its held up perfectly..

yea i actually should shorten the pants I will get the gf's mom to do it for me(I hate my f'in short ass legs,make it harder to get in triangle's and armbars),but the sleeve length is fine on me, maybe i have longer arms,also been rolling with mine for a bit and all is good no wear really yet

yea i actually should shorten the pants I will get the gf's mom to do it for me(I hate my f'in short ass legs,make it harder to get in triangle's and armbars),but the sleeve length is fine on me, maybe i have longer arms,also been rolling with mine for a bit and all is good no wear really yet

I feel the pain of short legs friend...

anyone here with both an Ouano99 and Gameness Platinum Gi? Which one is lighter in weight and cooler for hot weather? Thanks

anyone here with both an Ouano99 and Gameness Platinum Gi? Which one is lighter in weight and cooler for hot weather? Thanks

I have them both, and it's been pretty hot here in Memphis lately. To be honest, I find them both pretty comparable. There's not any one that I prefer to wash and wear rather than just wearing the other. I would say if it's more of a size preference than a performance/feel preference. But others may feel different. I do think the Ouano pants are softer though.

Important edit: I thought you said Gameness PEARL, which is what I was responding to. I do NOT have the Platinum!!! My comparison is between the Pearl and the Ouano! :redface:

The plat is gameness's heavy comp gi not the lightweight gi. Not sure if that was an error in thought, or if you were wanting a comparison between the 2 or the ouano and the pearl like the poster above me covered

yeah not a typo.wanted a comparison with the Platinum and the Ouanos.. good to know someone compared the Ouano with the Pearls.. cause I have a Pearl set.. I guess I'll just go with the Ouanos.. appreciate the responses :)

Back