Other Grassfed Meats

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by spiff1242, Jan 24, 2006.

1. spiff1242

spiff1242 White Belt

So I know that organic grassfed beef is supposed to be the healthiest form of beef you can eat and I've seen a number of folks that have noticed good things after switching to grassfed beef. Conventional grain fed beef (including organic, but not grassfed) has way lower nutritional value in the form of good fats, etc. I've basically been trying to buy mostly grass fed beef these days.
    However, I'm wondering about other meats now, like pork and chicken. I haven't actually found such thing as "grassfed" chicken or pork. I've seen organic chicken, free range chicken, and humanely raised pork. These terms seem a bit more ambiguous. Like an organic chicken may just be fed grains that are organic and not be as healthy as a chicken fed a natural diet (I'm not even really sure what chickens eat naturally).
    So, for those of you that are into the grassfed beef thing (or naturally raised meat in general), how do you select your other meats like chicken or pork where it's not as clear as with grassfed/grainfed beef?

2. Roid Monster

Roid Monster Brown Belt

I don't think chickens or pigs eat grass naturally. The best chicken I think is corn fed free range. Not sure about pork.

3. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Yeah, chicken's don't eat grass. Thats why they're not called grass few chickens, they're free range chickens.

Free range chickens = grass fed beef

4. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

5. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Chickens do eat grass, it doesn't say it directly in wilhelm's link there but if you read it carefully it says it.

The way you know is because the omega-3's the eggs are supposed to contain that they don't comes from the grass. They don't eat it because they prefer it though, they eat it because it's there amid the things they go for when you raise them free-range. If grains were a sufficient food source for them then they wouldn't be lacking in any nutrients. But it's not, so they do. You'd be surprised what animals eat what when they're let to gather their own food sources.

There's the breakdown of the terminologies.

6. spiff1242

spiff1242 White Belt

Hey guys, thanks for the great info. That really clears things up. Hopefully grassfed and pastured poultry increases in popularity. Right now, I know Whole Foods sells grass fed beef, but I don't think their poultry is grassfed or pastured. Their poultry says "Naturally Raised", so I'll have to ask what exactly that means now that I know about these categories.
    Do you guys know if there is such thing as grass fed/pastured pork then? Or perhaps it's under another name? I'm guessing "Certified humanely raised" is just regular grain fed.
    Thanks,
    Mike

7. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Stay away from grass fed fish... that just aint natural.

8. Vilo Magee

Vilo Magee Brown Belt Professional Fighter

LOL at this thread must be a city boy

9. Sinister

Hate to break it to you but some fish feed on kelp and seaweed. So in some sense it kind of is natural.

10. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Mod on Mod action.....I feel dirty...

BTW, I love seeing the "Happy Cows" that the California Dairy council advertises all the time. Anyone who has ever drivin through Coalinga will tell you that's some bullshit. They look pissed off and they're covered in their own feces.....On a side note, damn are they delicious!

11. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Tomorrow I will ask my botanist whether seaweeds are grasses, and she will say no, and we'll have a good laugh at your expense... then a cup of tea.

12. Sinister

How about this...you and your botanist can go ahead and have the laugh at seaweed, because I used the incorrect term. The correct term would be seagrass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagrass

And then this:

So I'll still have my protein shake (I don't drink tea all that much) and have a laugh at you saying it's unnatural for fish to feed on grass. Sound good?

13. Grady

Grady Blue Belt

Can a mod yellow card another mod or does that tear a hole in the fabric of cyberspace?

14. Sinister

lol I wouldn't yellow card Urban even if I could. Some guys weren't around these parts when it happened, but he's basically the main reason I became a Mod in the first-place. But we get each other's senses of humor anyway. He's one of the first people I ainticipate to fuck with me or call me on it if I post bullshit.

15. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I have not yet spoken with my botonist, but I have consulted an admin... and yes, if one mod cards another a hole in the space time continuum will be made and it could potentially destroy 68.834% of the known universe... the damage done to the unknown universe is predicted to be far less.