Oscar Bonavena-how good was he ?

T

Too $hort

I heard was a cool charecter,I know he lost alot of close fights agaisnt good comp.I wonder how he would do today,I heard he also a good heavyweight that alot people forgot.I think he was killed by a gunshot after his career.I heard he was quite party animal and was a fun guy

He was tough,... He was like a huge heavyweight version of Ray Mancini. He was from Argentina, and reminds me of some of the bulls that have come from there (Juan Roldan and Jorge Castro most notable). He was kind of limited skills wise and lost to the best fighters that he fought. But he made it tough on almost all of them. And oh yeah, he was like impossible to KO. If you were fighting him, pack a lunch... You were going to be there awhile... Unless he could get to you first. Could he be a champ today? Hmmm.. Wlad would decision him. But he has a fair chance against the rest of the division.

Bonavena is from the long school of tough Argentinians. Rugged, straight ahead guys that all had uncanny beards... Carlos Monzon, Juan Roldan, Carlos Baldomir, Sebasian Lujan, Julio Cesar Vasquez, could all but take a flying 4 x 4 to their chin.

what did joe frazier say about bonavena in his book, 'hey frazier, where's the pussy?'

I heard was a cool charecter,I know he lost alot of close fights agaisnt good comp.I wonder how he would do today,I heard he also a good heavyweight that alot people forgot.I think he was killed by a gunshot after his career.I heard he was quite party animal and was a fun guy

Bonavena could punch.....and last the distance with just about anyone.....but he never saw a punch coming at him he didn't like.....a little more defense and he would've squeaked out a few of those close decision fights. He had Joe Frazier on the deck twice early in their fight but didn't take advantage.

He was gunned down inside the Las Vegas Mustang Ranch (whore house) sometime back in the early 80's if I remember right......

Back