Ortega Could Have Easily Died

great idea to bring a kid to the fight!

For the life of me, I've never understood fighters having their young children cageside. I'm always reminded of this shitshow:

FPCBGlthBhT20uOfcp78eNDaBkIpfZdT2mdJh-sp34c.jpg

Last edited:
Boxing also encourages CTE by having a guy knocked down and out of it struggle to get to his feet and take a few more minutes/rounds of shots that are more and more destructive as he's already concussed.

I really don't understand why boxing will still allow a dude completely out of it to keep fighting. You want to give someone a chance that was knocked down/off balance, fine. If a dude is done he's done.

That being said I'm sure it would allow boxing to fix fights more than it already does.

<{MingNope}><{yearp}>
Watch mma fights

For the life of me, I've never understood fighters having their young children cageside. I'm always reminded of his shitshow:

This was an awkward but great moment and im glad it happened. It was touching that Coleman,hurt as he was,just wanted his little girls to comfort him. I thought it was cool. Those are hammer house girls,they got over it.

HOLY FCKING SHIT. I wasn't aware of that.
Crazy thing is that Kovalev almost fought him. Imagine if it was Kova who did this to him.

That's crazy, he did take a massive beating looking at highlights. Hopefully he can recover.

Yeah, the Stevenson thing is fucked up. There were a few articles in the Canadian press calling for combat sports to be banned last week.

For the life of me, I've never understood fighters having their young children cageside. I'm always reminded of his shitshow:

Don't remind me of this. Fedor was uncomfortable AF in there seeing that.

Yeah its stupid, seeing their dad get beat up fucks with their heads

Ortega will never be the same again, not because of the beating Max put on him - but because of the way in which he was beaten. So hopefully we see the improved Ortega next

Ortega will never be the same again, not because of the beating Max put on him - but because of the way in which he was beaten. So hopefully we see the improved Ortega next

Assuming that he's not physically and mentally compromised from that loss, he still has a huge upside. The finishing ability is there, he needs to improve his striking defense and his TD game.

I'm not a psychologist to know how a child can react to that kind of experience.
Based on my experience with seeing adult violence, he can turn out really fucked up.
I'm sure that's true. Depending on how he processes it, he can also turn out wiser and mentally stronger. So the work is up to Max to do. It's his kid.

They should make an exception for Tyson Fury.

Dude was out in the 12th... and came back to life like nothing happened.

And BTW... Ortega took a lot of punches but nothing too hard I think. Still he absorved way too many to the head. He might be too though for his own good.

Said that... put him against Jeremy Stephens next.

I watched it a bunch from a lot of different angles. He wasn't hurt, he wasn't even flash KO'd but he was knocked down. He gave himself a few seconds to breathe and got up at 8 or so almost no worse for the wear, because he then proceeded to give Wilder a 1-2. If he got blasted and his knees gave out and he tottered down to the mat almost lifeless, THEN immediately perked up at the 8 count I would say he's got otherworldly recovery skills ala Frankie Edgar but unlike seemingly the entirety of the boxing world, I didn't think he was even particularly hurt.

Ortega had a stupid ass plan to stand and bang with a stand and bang cage fighting champion and a BJ Penn-esque corner telling him he's doing perfectly after three rounds of getting his face pounded in and almost certainly being down 0-3. Max is one of the best fighters I've ever seen at dazing someone to the head and routinely working the body when they're not expecting it. If there was no stoppage he would have dropped Ortega with body shots in the fifth. His head was about as damaged as humanly possible without a stop.

The type of damage Ortega took 1-4 rounds could have easily put him in a coma.
If you don't know how that's possible, see Kovalev-Semakov fight where Serghei Kovalev early in his careek TKO'd a fighter in 7 rounds, who went into coma and later died in the hospital. He was getting lit up all throughout the fight, especially in 2nd and 6th round and then fell down due to a blocked punch. His brain just shut off.

I think the only saving grace for Ortega was that he's fighting in 145lb division and not 175lb division. That was insane amount of punishment he took.

Still has absolutely nothing on the Cain-Junior II and III fights, imo. Cain Velasquez hits way fucking harder than Holloway.

Relax is not like Ortega was getting hit by Conor or miocic lol.

The beating he was taking in the fourth round was definitely starting to worry me. Head was getting snapped back brutally, accumulated damage like that is never good.

He needs to take some time off.

{<huh}

{<huh}

I watched it a bunch from a lot of different angles. He wasn't hurt, he wasn't even flash KO'd but he was knocked down. He gave himself a few seconds to breathe and got up at 8 or so almost no worse for the wear, because he then proceeded to give Wilder a 1-2. If he got blasted and his knees gave out and he tottered down to the mat almost lifeless, THEN immediately perked up at the 8 count I would say he's got otherworldly recovery skills ala Frankie Edgar but unlike seemingly the entirety of the boxing world, I didn't think he was even particularly hurt.

Ortega had a stupid ass plan to stand and bang with a stand and bang cage fighting champion and a BJ Penn-esque corner telling him he's doing perfectly after three rounds of getting his face pounded in and almost certainly being down 0-3. Max is one of the best fighters I've ever seen at dazing someone to the head and routinely working the body when they're not expecting it. If there was no stoppage he would have dropped Ortega with body shots in the fifth. His head was about as damaged as humanly possible without a stop.
I can be wrong but even Fury acknowledged that he was out in the post fight interviews.

Ortega does not have the level of TDs to threat Max. He didnt have a choice but to stand and trade.
How he absorved all those punches is beyond me.

Yeah it's never a good thing when someone takes a prolonged beating like that.

He took a career worth of beating in one fight

Kinda like JDS-Cain 2 & 3. JDS has never been the same figther after those 2. Let's see how Brian looks in his next fight.

HOLY FCKING SHIT. I wasn't aware of that.
Crazy thing is that Kovalev almost fought him. Imagine if it was Kova who did this to him.

That's crazy, he did take a massive beating looking at highlights. Hopefully he can recover.

Its not looking good. Hes still in a Coma. IF he lives he'll never be the same.

Well I'm sure those deaths also include deaths in training, when they occur. And when you consider training, there are probably half a million to a million boxing matches per day. Or 15-30 million per month. 1 death is almost necessary, with those numbers of punches to the head.

But I'd like to see a study too...
In the journal I quoted it says that 1,230 (90%) of those deaths were a result of in-ring injuries, so still a pretty significant amount even when you exclude deaths via training/other causes.

Consider that 923 of those were pro boxers as well, so I think your stats are a little exaggerated in this case. Regardless, I hope Ortega comes through this relatively unscathed.

The type of damage Ortega took 1-4 rounds could have easily put him in a coma.
If you don't know how that's possible, see Kovalev-Semakov fight where Serghei Kovalev early in his careek TKO'd a fighter in 7 rounds, who went into coma and later died in the hospital. He was getting lit up all throughout the fight, especially in 2nd and 6th round and then fell down due to a blocked punch. His brain just shut off.

I think the only saving grace for Ortega was that he's fighting in 145lb division and not 175lb division. That was insane amount of punishment he took.

It's part of what the fighters and fans have signed up for. Manuwa could have died too. And Cowboy Oliveira. And on and on. And just because Ortega didn't die doesn't mean he's out of the woods. Brain trauma might significantly shorten your life and significantly affect the quality of your life later on. These guys should really be paid more.

Back