Optimum weight class for height ranges. Why tall champs don't exist at below Welterweight

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
S

SouthoftheAndes

how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally-3.jpg

^^ this chart breaks down what the maximum lean body mass a natural body builder can obtain based on height. At 6% body fat.

Add 15lbs to 20lbs on each height and you have more or less what fighters in each division are weighing. Add another 10lbs for a not that out of shape out of camp walk around weight. In addition no fighter has 6% body fat, most are like at 10% to 14% maybe a few with 9%.

Let's look at the divisions.

Flyweight= Champ is 5'3 and weighs like 140lbs.

Bantamweight (BW)= Champ is 5'8 weighs 150lbs give or take. Former champ Dillishaw is 5'6.

FW= Champ is 5'9 weighs 165lbs give or take. Former champ was 5'7 and similar weight.

LW= Champ is 5'9-5'10 weighs 170lbs more or less. Former Champ was 5'8 and similar weight.

WW= Champ is 5'9 weighs like 190lbs to 194lbs. Is jacked as well.

Former champ was 5'11 and weighed a little less I believe. Champ before Lawler was 5'9 and weighed 190 to 194lbs. And champ before Hendricks was 5'10 GSP who weighed 188 to 192lbs.

MW= Champ is 6'2 weighs like 205lbs or 210lbs. Former champ is 6'3 and similar weight. And champ before him (Weidman is 61 similar weight).

LHW= Champ is 5'10 (ufc inflates his height by an inch). Weighs 225lbs, walks around at like 235lbs.

HW= Champion is Stipe Miocic who is 6'4, weighs 245lbs. Previous champ Werdum is 6'4 and was similar weight but not as muscular. And champ before him was Cain who is 6'1 and a semi flabby but strong 245lbs. Champ before him was Dos Santos. Before him it was Cain again and before Cain it was 6'3 Lesnar who was 275lbs or 280lbs on fight night

So it seems to me like based on previous trends and current trends we won't really ever have tall champions at Welterweight or any lower weight classes. Wonderboy is 6'0 flat and that isn't an exceptionally tall height for WW. However, also note someone like Macdonald is really 5'11 something.

It seems like the taller fighters especially the +6'0 fighters who fight at below WW tend to be too weak and are often tossed around by the shorter more built and stout fighters. For those taller fighters to have similar strength and muscle mass as the shorter guys they would need to bulk up so much that they wouldn't be able to cut weight and make weight anymore. They would have to move up a division or two. I mean look at WW now with guys like Woodley, Gastellum, Hendricks, Elleneberger, Rory, Lawler, and before then it was GSP, Koscheck, Matt Hughes, Penn, Trigg, Lyte, Newton. Etc. In addition, all the top 10 fighters just about at LW and below are shorter than 6ft. WW is an exception with fighters like Cerrone and Condit but they aren't likely to touch the belt. Condit is known for getting manhandled by stronger SHORTER fighters. The elite at WW tend to be 5'9 to 5'11 wrestlers

LHW and HW are the true beasts in the sense that most have the height range similar to most MW's and yet they weigh a lot more. And significantly more for HW's.

Last edited by a moderator:
how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally-3.jpg

^^ this chart breaks down what the maximum lean body mass a natural body builder can obtain based on height. At 6% body fat.

Add 15lbs to 20lbs on each height and you have more or less what fighters in each division are weighing. Add another 10lbs for a not that out of shape out of camp walk around weight. In addition no fighter has 6% body fat, most are like at 10% to 14% maybe a few with 9%.

Let's look at the divisions.

Flyweight= Champ is 5'3 and weighs like 140lbs.

BW= Champ is 5'8 weighs 150lbs give or take. Former champ Dillishaw is 5'6.

FW= Champ is 5'9 weighs 165lbs give or take. Former champ was 5'7 and similar weight.

LW= Champ is 5'9-5'10 weighs 170lbs more or less. Former Champ was 5'8 and similar weight.

WW= Champ is 5'9 weighs like 190lbs to 194lbs. Is jacked as well.

Former champ was 5'11 and weighed a little less I believe. Champ before Lawler was 5'9 and weighed 190 to 194lbs. And champ before Hendricks was 5'10 GSP who weighed 188 to 192lbs.

MW= Champ is 6'2 weighs like 205lbs or 210lbs. Former champ is 6'3 and similar weight. And champ before him (Weidman is 61 similar weight).

LHW= Champ is 5'10 (ufc inflates his height by an inch). Weighs 225lbs, walks around at like 235lbs.

HW= Champion is Stipe Miocic who is 6'4, weighs 245lbs. Previous champ Werdum is 6'4 and was similar weight but not as muscular. And champ before him was Cain who is 6'1 and a semi flabby but strong 245lbs. Champ before him was Dos Santos. Before him it was Cain again and before Cain it was 6'3 Lesnar who was 275lbs or 280lbs on fight night

So it seems to me like based on previous trends and current trends we won't really ever have tall champions at Welterweight or any lower weight classes. Wonderboy is 6'0 flat and that isn't an exceptionally tall height for WW. However, also note someone like Macdonald is really 5'11 something.

It seems like the taller fighters especially the +6'0 fighters who fight at below WW tend to be too weak and are often tossed around by the shorter more built and stout fighters. For those taller fighters to have similar strength and muscle mass as the shorter guys they would need to bulk up so much that they wouldn't be able to cut weight and make weight anymore. They would have to move up a division or two. I mean look at WW now with guys like Woodley, Gastellum, Hendricks, Elleneberger, Rory, Lawler, and before then it was GSP, Koscheck, Matt Hughes, Penn, Trigg, Lyte, Newton. Etc

LHW and HW are the true beasts in the sense that most have the height range similar to most MW's and yet they weigh a lot more. And significantly more for HW's.
eddie is way shorter than conor, 5'6 nunes towers over him

Gray Maynard cut from 220 before the frankie fights - Goldy

That's nice.

This is MMA not bodybuilding.

Reach is also generally more important than height. Most champs aren't particularly tall for their division but they're frequently longer than average, sometimes significantly.

The max a 6'5 bodybuilder can be is 210 while ripped?

lol doubt that's accurate.

That's nice.

This is MMA not bodybuilding.

I know it's not. However, what I said largely seems to be the case in mma. Tall fighters who are +6ft are either cans or gatekeepers at LW or below (generally speaking). How else do we explain why they get fucking manhandled by guys like Gastellum or Hughes or GSP? And why are all the champs, top fighters and contenders not tall at these weight classes?

And they tend to get dominated physically by the shorter more stout and built fighters. If the taller fighters were to be as strong as the shorter more built guys they would have to bulk and gain mass and wouldn't be able to make their current weight division. There is a reason why all the tall fighters in low weight classes are weak as fuck and get thrown are round by shorter but way strong grapplers.

You are obviously to ignorant to understand the importance of strength. You also, fail to realize that while mma is not body building the same limits to muscle mass and strength and typical lean max body mass an individual can obtain is the same.

At 6% body fat more or less yes. For a natural lifter

And the only people who don't like this information are rounder short fatties. And tall skinny fat or skinny bean poles if you are 6'3 or 6'4 you shouldn't be fighting at WW let alone below WW. You need to fucking eat, gain some strength and mass, and grow a pair and fight guys around your same height.

What about height and weight for tennis players?

Hockey?

Badminton?

At 6% body fat.

210 at 6% is fucking huuuuge. Don't think you realise how low 6% is.

And based on that at 10% body fat a 6'5 guy would be at 220. At 15% bodyfat that would be 230...you see where i'm going with this now? Basically, Jon Jones is the maximum size someone can attain naturally...Now keep in mind that despite him being a roider most likely, he still had chicken legs, still didn't have a physique that was unattainable naturally, and he was still doing a ton of cardio that depletes muscle.

And based on that at 10% body fat a 6'5 guy would be at 220. At 15% bodyfat that would be 230...you see where i'm going with this now? Basically, Jon Jones is the maximum size someone can attain naturally...Now keep in mind that despite him being a roider most likely, he still had chicken legs, still didn't have a physique that was unattainable naturally, and he was still doing a ton of cardio that depletes muscle.

Just stop you don't know what you are talking about.

Jones is also far from 6% body fat and doesn't have the composition of lean mass we are talking about.

Yeah and he is 15 and 12. 15 wins and 12 losses. His record is horrible and he is losing in the C leagues to manlets. The guy also, got dominated by shorter but way stronger fighters. He is weak and too skinny with not enough mass or strength at that weight class based on his height.

Just stop you don't know what you are talking about.

Jones is also far from 6% body fat and doesn't have the composition of lean mass we are talking about.

Tell me where I went wrong in the calculations.

Nowhere did I say Jones was 6% body fat or even imply it. I used 15% body fat for him, and based on a lean body maximum of 192 lbs for someone at 6'4. @ 15% body fat that would be 225 lbs.

Math formula can be LBM / (1 - bf%)

Tell me where I went wrong in the calculations.

Nowhere did I say Jones was 6% body fat or even imply it. I used 15% body fat for him, and based on a lean body maximum of 192 lbs for someone at 6'4. @ 15% body fat that would be 225 lbs.

Math formula can be LBM / (1 - bf%)

It is more or less accurate. The website is legit which promotes this idea and it is common knowledge in the bodybuilding community.

We are talking an individual who doesn't use any PEDs fyi.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

I also, won't entertain you Atmore as I don't want to derail the thread. You can choose to believe that a guy can naturally be 6'5, 265lbs at 6% body fat. However, don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

OO6rH.png

That's basically 4% BF, also 210 is for competition weight for someone 6'5. Watercutting for Bodybuilding is = to or more severe than UFC watercutting for weighins. Walk around weight/off-season weight for someone like that would be around 240 while still basically shredded and 260+ in a bulk. Also keep in mind bodybuilders have completely different frames than someone very heavy like Brock lesnar who himself juices, top bodybuilders have insanely narrow waists and hips(genetics) which makes them lighter than the barrel like shape of lesnar or strongmen.

Back