Optimal HW development

Mappe

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Was thinking today what a shame it is that shane carwin, brock and fedor all retired from mma. If everything would have gone perfectly, and brock would have kept training and improving, shanes back problems disappeared and fedor remained in his prime, winning the sf fights, and ending up in ufc, would you consider the ufc hw div top 5 to be the best/most exciting top 5 in the organisation?

In terms of excitement and interest - I think the division would have been more promotable and huge money fights could be made.

However I feel that the top heavyweights, Cain and JDS, would still beat Brock or Carwin but you Fedor would be interesting considering his fighting style did not rely so much on his size and physical largeness-as Carwin's and Brock's did.

Fedor is oldschool fighter and Brock and Carwin were in new generation.

Some people understand what im talkin. Today its not only skill and hard work then alot of "medicine".

HW has always been the most exciting IMO, With Fedor in the UFC no doubt it would be the best division.

the loss of Brock due to his illness still sucks

In terms of excitement and interest - I think the division would have been more promotable and huge money fights could be made.

However I feel that the top heavyweights, Cain and JDS, would still beat Brock or Carwin but you Fedor would be interesting considering his fighting style did not rely so much on his size and physical largeness-as Carwin's and Brock's did.

JDS did beat Shane and Cain did beat Brock. I don't think either of those were due to injury or illness.

If those three guys were still healthy and competing at a high level, then yes, the HW division would be probably the most entertaining division. As it stands now...it is the least entertaining.

I think that in a few years the HW division can be as great as we all want to.

We just need to wait for a new breed of fighters. Remember how quick JDS and Cain came from being unknown to the top.
Daniel Cormier was a late replacement in a Strikeforce tournament and he ended up beating BF and Barnett.

I have faith in Vitaly Minakov breaking the top 10 and making waves in some time. Also (and I

Fedor had speed above everyone else...add that speed along side the fact that he hit extremely hard and was relentless...that makes for a difficult day for any HW.
Not only was Fedor able to dish it out but he could take punishment with the best of them. People talk about how horribly Bigfoot smashed him...well...you can look at that second round, Bigfoot was on top of Fedor throwing bombs down on him for an entire round, Fedor bobbed and weaved a lot while holding his arms up to deflect shots...a lot of those hits were glancing. The point is Bigfoot couldn't finish Fedor, even though he heavily outweighed him and sat in full mount for an entire round. Fedor won that first round, lost the second one but made it through, and then the fight was stopped due to his eye closing up. He's tough as hell.
I probably would have had Fedor over any UFC HW in all their primes but Fedor wasn't in his prime when he nearly got into the UFC...people need to remember that.
His career/legacy is incredible and probably no one will match it for quite some time...even Anderson had multiple losses throughout his career, before becoming champ, unlike Fedor.

Was thinking today what a shame it is that shane carwin, brock and fedor all retired from mma. If everything would have gone perfectly, and brock would have kept training and improving, shanes back problems disappeared and fedor remained in his prime, winning the sf fights, and ending up in ufc, would you consider the ufc hw div top 5 to be the best/most exciting top 5 in the organisation?

And what if Chuck Liddell never lost his chin, Shogun still had good knees and Wand, Rampage and Tito were still in their prime, would you consider the ufc lhw div top 5 to be the best/most exciting top 5 in the organisation?

Meh. Prime Fedor would have been subbed by Werdum. Just because he's old doesn't mean he doesn't know how to defend a triangle armbar. Come on guys this is getting a little silly.

Back