Opinions on wrestling Collegiately?

Dude Mo Lawal and Mark Scultz started wrestling thier Junior year of highschool.

I know a kid who started wrestling in 8th grade and made states twice in PA!!!

Some people just have IT when it comes to grappling.

Jersey is one of the top 3 wrestling states in the country with PA and OH. What school do you go to (You can PM me)?

You have to remeber with wrestling there are about 30 spots on a D1 team and only 9.9 scholarships over a 4 year period.

That means 20 walk ons. If you go to the right school, show you are dedicated and have ability, that college will keep you.

I was a D1 backup and know kids who got cut, kept coming to practice and made the team because eventually enough kids quit.

Division 1 wrestling is one of the most demanding and least rewarding sports, so there are always oppotunities.

I know plenty of kids who started at the same time as you and after you and had success.

I started wrestling in 7th grade.

Just focus on high school for now. You have plenty of time to get to even a d1 level. MY advice to you would be to wrestle as much as possible in the off season, and continue to run and lift during wrestling season (you'll be tired from parctice but it is worth it). Those 2 things will make a world of difference.

Also - remember that the most important aspect of wrestling is drilling. Drill like you're fucking addicted to it. Drill the wrestling adam (dummy) when you don't have a partner.

(I wrestled collegiately, wish I had applied these tips earlier.)

Good luck!

Just focus on high school for now. You have plenty of time to get to even a d1 level. MY advice to you would be to wrestle as much as possible in the off season, and continue to run and lift during wrestling season (you'll be tired from parctice but it is worth it). Those 2 things will make a world of difference.

Also - remember that the most important aspect of wrestling is drilling. Drill like you're fucking addicted to it. Drill the wrestling adam (dummy) when you don't have a partner.

(I wrestled collegiately, wish I had applied these tips earlier.)

Good luck!

Totally agree with this advice.

Do as much Freestyle and Greco as possible. Free helps you hips a lot and Greco will take your handfighting to a knew level.

I really appreciate the tips and encouraging words. Thanks guys.

do greco. do freestyle. compete in both during the offseason. repeat!

Jers is a tough state, if you do well there you should be great. No pressure just keep competing and getting better.

I only wrestled 2 years in high school and am now on the college team. I did Judo for a long time, but you should be able to walk onto a D3 team at the very least (What I did). Becoming a D1 wrestler on the other hand, is much harder. If you have the ability, you didn't start to late, if you don't, that it doesn't matter anyways. Lots of great wrestler started in high school, just push yourself as hard as you can.

being a d1 college wrestler is more prestigious than winning the mundials

Idk if it's only jiu jitsu guys around here, but I'd love insight from anybody, wrestlers would be great, and wrestlers who went onto collegiate level would just be fantastic. This is alot, but I'd appreciate it if you read all of it, because it will probably help your answer, but just read the last few sentences if you don't feel like it. Now, I've wrestled for one season, and that was in 8th grade. I've been going to camps all summer, and plan on wrestling all through highschool. My school has a fantastic wrestling program, top notch coach, great peers to drill with, easily our best sport (it's in Jersey if it matters, pretty sure we're pretty high ranked in hs wrestling). I drill with the high school team, even though I haven't wrestled a season there yet, and all my partners have atleast 5+ years more of experiance than me.

I am not braggin, and am not trying to show off, I'm just trying to give you an idea where I am. But I can hold my own with these more experienced, and better wrestlers, and coaches all say I've got potential. I'm always give it my all, even if it's just in practice, because I really do love the sport. But here's my question, do you think after highschool, I'll be able to wrestle at a D3 level? D2 is a huge goal, but in all seriousness, is 5 years of experiance, a good program, and just a little bit of talent enough for a D3 college? Thanks.

GO FOR IT.
I didn't join wrestling until my Senior year and I regret not joining it sooner.
There is nothing but good that comes from wrestling.
Work Ethic
Discipline and Commitment (Cutting weight)
and being in Ridiculously awesome shape are just a few of the pluses.
Oh yea and the hot girls you meet at matches sometimes.

You should follow the advice of the people telling you to focus on high school. Commit to working as hard as you can.

BUT more importantly, commit in the classroom there are relatively few scholarships available to athletes compared to academic scholarships. Plus it will be easier to get recruited if your grades are on point. Study hard and stay focused, put the parting on hold.

You should follow the advice of the people telling you to focus on high school. Commit to working as hard as you can.

BUT more importantly, commit in the classroom there are relatively few scholarships available to athletes compared to academic scholarships. Plus it will be easier to get recruited if your grades are on point. Study hard and stay focused, put the parting on hold.

+1

Great advice if a scholarship is your goal. Also focus on the process. This year you will learn a great deal about what you need to work on, when you figure that out then WORK ON IT.

Strengthen your strengths and shore up your weaknesses and continue to develop explosivness and conditioning.

Back