Opinions on this recovery drink please

spirez

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is a pre-made formula from the UK equivalent of True Protein. I priced up a Surge equivalent like MadMick has but it comes out at almost double the cost of this stuff.

Recovery xs - Our formulas | myprotein.co.uk

Bearing in mind, i have this straight away but then also eat a solid meal about one hour after too.

How necessary do you consider the hydrolized protein? Are there any studies to show it's x amount better than the usual blend of isolate/concentrate?

It's fine, but I would start drinking it during your warm-up and continue throughout your training vs. taking it PWO.

I'm STILL debating electrolytes from there

Considering I sweat like 2 litres of water minimum a session I thought it might be an idea

Not hijacking much, the list of ingrediants is;
1. Waxy Maize Starch: 50g
2. Whey Protein Isolate: 27g
3. Leucine: 5.5g
4. Glutamine: 4.5g
5. Creapure

What exactly is your debate?

If they are necessary.

I was debating them ages ago but someone said you shouldn't need them if you have a decent diet.

Even at my fittest during the spring and summer (and autumn sometimes) I couldn't finish a heavy thai session full tilt. I used to lose something like 4-5 lbs in weight throughout a session though (including the litre I used to drink)

I'd include them if I was losing a lot of water. A solid diet goes a long way but there's nothing wrong with a little insurance.

I never paid to much attention to optimal quantities when it came to electrolytes. I use powders that contain electrolytes with my WO drinks and whatever is in them was good enough for me. I can tell you that in the book Nutrient Timing, they listed the following as a good bench mark...

Sodium - 100-250 IU
Potassium - 60-120mg
Magnesium - 60-120mg

I'll be reviewing this product for MyProtein in the coming weeks, but to keep it simple, it's a good product. There are a lot of carbs, which isn't necessarily bad for fighters on this site.

Consuming this pre-workout (ie weights) is ideal for growth and recovery, but I'd start with a half serving the first time.

I'll be reviewing this product for MyProtein in the coming weeks, but to keep it simple, it's a good product. There are a lot of carbs, which isn't necessarily bad for fighters on this site.

Consuming this pre-workout (ie weights) is ideal for growth and recovery, but I'd start with a half serving the first time.

It

Thanks Monger!
I use Sherdog for my MMA fix, but it was Donut62 who drew my attention to the forum. I really like the eclectic approach to information gathering and lack of bias here. Lastly, it seems as though you all take your information pretty seriously, which is something I'd like to be a part of.

Now if only I could find a way to publish articles here... :D

Very cool. You should be able to email an Admin in regards to publishing articles. I have no idea what Sherdog's protocol is on that. If you shoot one of the mods a PM they can probably point you in the right direction.

Back to the electrolytes question: Dave, what's your take on that? Do you need to replace them other than through diet, ie - sports type drinks? I read somewhere (I think another thread on here a few months ago) than it was unnecessary because most of what you're losing while sweating is water and if anything you'd have a higher concentration of electrolytes in your body when this happens.

Thanks Monger!
I use Sherdog for my MMA fix, but it was Donut62 who drew my attention to the forum. I really like the eclectic approach to information gathering and lack of bias here. Lastly, it seems as though you all take your information pretty seriously, which is something I'd like to be a part of.

fonz.jpg

Back to the electrolytes question: Dave, what's your take on that? Do you need to replace them other than through diet, ie - sports type drinks? I read somewhere (I think another thread on here a few months ago) than it was unnecessary because most of what you're losing while sweating is water and if anything you'd have a higher concentration of electrolytes in your body when this happens.

Good point and I vaguely remember reading that as well. The thing is that if you sweat a LOT you would probably end up with a higher concentration of electrolytes in your body... but on the other hand, if you're only hydrating with water and drinking a lot of it... it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to sway the electrolyte balance in the other direction. It seems to me that it would have a lot to do with the amount of sweat that you're actually losing and the time period that you're losing it over. The problem is that I don't really know where that point is.

Back to the electrolytes question: Dave, what's your take on that? Do you need to replace them other than through diet, ie - sports type drinks?

ronin, good call about the increased sodium concentration.
If you're training for more than an hour, or you sweat profusely, then I'd consider replacing electrolytes. Otherwise, it's not a cop out to quote Monger's reply, is it?

Monger wrote: but on the other hand, if you're only hydrating with water and drinking a lot of it... it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to sway the electrolyte balance in the other direction. It seems to me that it would have a lot to do with the amount of sweat that you're actually losing and the time period that you're losing it over. The problem is that I don't really know where that point is.

Back