opinions on mayo?

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what do you guys think about mayo? isnt it mostly just healthy fats? it tastes so good, i cant resist putting it into my daily chicken or ham sandwich

Lots of unneeded fat, but I still eat it because I hate mustard.

At least give Miracle Whip a try. It tastes pretty similar and it has a lot better numbers. If you try it and still can't live without your mayo, selah, we all have to have a few things to keep us real.

Ruick said:
what do you guys think about mayo? isnt it mostly just healthy fats? it tastes so good, i cant resist putting it into my daily chicken or ham sandwich

God no, it's a lot of the most unhealthy fats.

in moderation, after a workout, i'll just dump a spoon of mayo into a can of solid albacore... delish!

paulchu said:
in moderation, after a workout, i'll just dump a spoon of mayo into a can of solid albacore... delish!

If you even use a tbl, you've added 14g of bad fats to your diet.

Besides, the flavor is only really apparent when the mayo isn't mixed. I can't tell the difference between real mayo and miracle whip in my tuna & salmon recipes.

Just use miracle whip.

You can totally tell the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip... the best option is to just eat the tuna plain since both products are crummy for you any way.

Valgarv said:
You can totally tell the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip... the best option is to just eat the tuna plain since both products are crummy for you any way.

You can tell the difference between 2 tbl. mayo and miracle whip when they're mixed with 2 cans tuna, 1 whole tomato, 2 stalks celery, 1 tbl minced garlic, a half can olives, and 1 tbl sunflower seeds (shelled)?

Valgarv said:

Also, you make it sound as if they're equally bad for you. This isn't remotely true.

Oh, you can homemake a fatty mayo that contains good fats instead of the usual lard.

I don't do this, myself, so I don't have any recipes. But I've seen recipes for this kind of thing before.

You put a lot of shit in your tuna, Madmick. I have no idea. I'm used to it being Tuna + Mayo and occasionally pickles.

I never said Mayo and Miracle Whip were equally bad. I said they were both crummy. Doesn't matter which is the lesser of the two evils.

Mayo is just egg whiltes and oil whipped together, isn't it?

Valgarv said:
Doesn't matter which is the lesser of the two evils.

It most certainly does. Strictly speaking, frozen yogurt isn't great for you, it's just sugar. But it's a hell of a lot better for you than an ice cream sundae.

Mayo is just egg whiltes and oil whipped together, isn't it?

Egg yolks and oil.

i put la victoria green tomatillo sauce on my tuna. lotta sodium, but otherwise not bad.

Good fat, bad fat, as far as body composition goes, it's still fat. The only difference between the two is that bad fat will kill you earlier. Both will get you equally fat. So there might be health reasons to care but no athletic/bulking/cutting reasons to care about wether the fat you ingest is good or bad.

I personally don'T care about the quality of the fat I ingest (for now though, I'm still young) but hey, I'm bulking.

+ miracle whip tastes like shit in anything but sandwiches. Especially with fries.

Noskill said:
Good fat, bad fat, as far as body composition goes, it's still fat. The only difference between the two is that bad fat will kill you earlier. Both will get you equally fat. So there might be health reasons to care but no athletic/bulking/cutting reasons to care about wether the fat you ingest is good or bad.

I personally don'T care about the quality of the fat I ingest (for now though, I'm still young) but hey, I'm bulking.

+ miracle whip tastes like shit in anything but sandwiches. Especially with fries.

No, this isn't actually true. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has reported numerous times that individuals placed on diets rich in Omega-3's with the same fat composition as their previous diets lost weight after periods as short as 12 weeks.

You are right that regardless of whether they're good or not, fats are more likely to be stored as fat than carbohydrates or protein.

I actually prefer Miracle Whip now in anything BUT sandwiches, but to each his own.

what about just a tblspn of mayo lite mixed with tuna? would that make a difference or not really?

also if people don't like just the plain tast of tuna, try getting the starkist pre-pouched tuna that is flavored. they have hickory smoked, lemon pepper, garlic herb and they are really good. i would recommend the hickory smoked. they cost a little more than the canned tuna, but you can eat them plain and you don't have to drain the water either.

Back