Opinions on Coban's Muay Thai in NYC

shera

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Students of Coban in NY, my job moved recently and I

I noticed that about his videos also. Lots of kata like combos. Nothing like how it is taught in Thailand. Seems he stopped drinking though, so that's a pulse.

I noticed that about his videos also. Lots of kata like combos. Nothing like how it is taught in Thailand. Seems he stopped drinking though, so that's a pulse.

I only trained with him a few times while he was in Philly and this was my experience. Super-long combos that included pretty much everything. And the dude really loves the "reverse up elbow" or whatever you want to call it (Silva vs. Fryklund elbow).

I didn't think he was a bad instructor. He was spending a decent amount of time with everyone, correcting technique and provided tips, but the combos just seemed a bit goofy.

It’s a shame if the only Lumpini champ to coach in the US is teaching essentially a “fawk you farang” variety of muay thai.

he is? what about these two guys? or Sakasem, Matee, Neungsiam, etc???

I didn't think he was a bad instructor. He was spending a decent amount of time with everyone, correcting technique and provided tips, but the combos just seemed a bit goofy.

I train at Coban's and its far from a fuck you franang attitude. Coban genuinely loves his students and is very dedicated. There is a lot of pad work with long combinations, but there's also a lot of live drills, clinching and sparing.

Coban teaches something like 30 classes a week and like gotobread said he spends a lot of time watching his students and correcting technique. Fighters and newbies all get a lot of attention.

TS come and check out camp. You get one Muay Thai and one BJJ class for free. Not sure what the prices are now but they always are running a promotion. When I was looking for a place to train and pricing out gyms Coban was below the rest as its a relatively new school. BJJ is additional, something like an extra $50 per month for unlimited. John Cho and Sinistro from Alliance teach BJJ both decorated guys

He seems to teach long impractical combinations e.g. cross, hook, double roundhouse, teep, spinning elbow, jumping knee and throws in lots of flashy impractical stuff like spinning back kicks, leaping elbow, etc. Can someone here confirm if this is how most of his classes are or was he just being flashy for the youtube videos?

That's his trademark. All classes have long combos which he calls, "easy". lol. They aren't staged either- usually a staff member just walks over with the camera and takes footage during class.

I don't think they are impractical because (my opinion) it helps build balance, fluidity, technique and emphasizes combinations. Also, the combinations almost start the same way:

cross, hook, check kick...
block punches, check kick...
cross, hook, lean back, right kick...
left teep, right teep, skip left teep...
etc...

Btw, I never seen him teach a spinning back kick or a jumping knee... He laughs when we do spinning back kicks during sparring.

He does teach spinning elbows and leaping elbows though- which are traditional MT moves.

Also, clinching is taught as part of the sparring class.

I only trained with him a few times while he was in Philly and this was my experience. Super-long combos that included pretty much everything. And the dude really loves the "reverse up elbow" or whatever you want to call it (Silva vs. Fryklund elbow).

haha I remember drilling those elbows. and ending combinations with 4 kicks.

I liked Coban but I wish he drilled over the clinch more

I did a seminar with Coban a couple years ago. Everything has already been mentioned, but one thing I'd like to emphasize is he really did go and spend time with everyone and offer tips/details. He's also very friendly and funny (like most Thais I've trained with).
I didn't really learn much that was new, and the price was a bit high ($125 for 4 hours I think?) but all in all it was a good experience.

I assume he's no longer teaching at Daddis' camps in Philly now though?

haha I remember drilling those elbows. and ending combinations with 4 kicks.

I liked Coban but I wish he drilled over the clinch more

Yes... two kicks on each side. Always. Heh.

To answer another question, no, he is no longer at Daddis.

I will not judge as i have not been taught by him or seen him teach.

I will only add he was not a technical fighter at all, does not mean he will not be a technical teacher but from what i'm reading there may be a lack of focus on the basics.

I've known Coban for over 12 yrs, he has always played a huge role in fighters lives. He remembers everyone's name, and more importantly recognizes if your dedicated or not. If you show up to class and put in the work, you get results. If you come in and half ass it, and sideline comment, then end justifies the means.FryinTriangle brings up a great point, he comes from old school Thai camp, where he would bus it from 1 fight to another fight the same day. He teaches basic combos, advanced combos and has sparring classes. He goes over clinching after sparring class, and watches you to make sure your always doing it correctly. He's a one man army, and building up his camp, and now has veteran students to help him out, like myself.

His new camp is still young and they have a great fight team, and there are many of us that help teach others. You have to take responsibility for yourself; if you stay after class, hit the heavy bag, or ask another student to hold pads then you further your experience, and putting in the work. If you go to the corner, or get dressed to leave then your getting what you put in! You can't expect an instructor to make you great, you have to work hard. To bigbadpolarbear, if you need someone to hold pads for you I'm there everyday at 12-2pm. No worries, no emotions, you want to train hard, I got that. We can keep it anonymous!

Back