Opinions on category/weight loss

Aprentice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im a blue belt whos been training for almost 4 years. for about 3 of those years i competed as much as i could and trained about twice a day. In the last of those years, i had to train a bit less, but still almost every day, and I stopped competing. Both because I was a bit tired form competing (specially after I came extremely close to medaling in pans, which would have been a dream for me) but mainly because of work, and life in general. The cycle of life.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that its time for me to get back on track. After a long due vacation I came back decided to go back to the old twice a day tough training routine (not counting sprints with my dog and some gym) and competing as much as possible (i live in an area where there are many, so thats every other week).

The thing is that i gained about 13 pounds since the last time i competed. I always competed at Heavy. I am not exactly out of shape, but I am not having a completely disciplined diet like I used to. I am eating healthy, always, but its no longer focused on staying "light", since I wasnt competing. I have definitely gained some muscle aswell as fat. Anyway, what I would like an opinion on is whether you think its important for me to get back to heavy? In your experience / knowledge, will I find trouble if I stay in Super Heavy, eating healthy and training alot? Should I actually focus on getting back to heavy?

Its crazy how our body changes, to me i feel like i simply got bigger, heavy seems far away from me because i dont feel fat. Sometimes i think its also age related (I am 27 now)...

Opinions?

thanks

It is not age related. 27 is the best age ever. Lol.

How tall are you? Unless you look like a body builder, super heavy guys have room to spare to go down to heavy in a safe and healthy manner. It depends where you are happy at with yourself outside of BJJ.

It is not age related. 27 is the best age ever. Lol.

How tall are you? Unless you look like a body builder, super heavy guys have room to spare to go down to heavy in a safe and healthy manner. It depends where you are happy at with yourself outside of BJJ.

hey man!

i know 27 is a great age lol but it seems to me that if you look at a guy whos 21-23 and at the same guy at 27, it usually seems like he is just naturally bigger. I dont know if its hormones, life style or just an impression that I have.

I am 6 feet 1 inch, so not too tall. I can definetely go down in a safe healthy manner, i am in good shape, but definetely not super lean or anything like that, so there's room for weight loss... but i am debating whether it really matters in terms of competition results and whether i should spend my energy with the whole struggle with the scale lol what do you think? I always tried to be as light as possible for jiu jitsu, even tried going down to medium heavy. Now it seems reaaally distant hahaha. Anyway, I am thinking about just training hard and eating healthy and not worry at all about weight...

Back