Opinions on Astra Handguns?

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by SamuraiRat, Apr 13, 2008.

1. SamuraiRat

SamuraiRat Orange Belt

Anyone?

I was at one of my favorite pawn shops. They had a 357 mag. revolver. It looked exactly like the Smith & Wesson model 18, and kinda like a Colt Trooper. It has a 4 inch. barrel, and looks pretty sweet.

I know Astra makes those semis that look like Sigs, I had no idea they made revolvers. Has anyone tried those knock-off Sigs, and would recomend this knock-off S&W/Colt? Is the Astra brand reliable in y'all's opinion?

2. mixicus

mixicus Yellow Belt

Astra merged with Star to become Astar and is in the heavily involved in the business of cloned guns. They were/are an arsenal that made weapons, primarily handguns, for Spain and several South American countries.

The models I've handled are solid and functional but crude in fit and finish. I have observed different parts break at a higher frequnecy than the original gun (i.e. slide stops). A bit of polishing here and there and you are OK. But if you are thinking that you are buying a Sig or S&W revolver for 1/2 price you will be greatly dissapointed.

You are further ahead to save up your lunch money for a while longer and buy the big name boomstick or keep your eyes open for a used one at the pawn shop or consignment shelf of the gun store.

Bottom line: would I bet my life on one (if I had a choice)...NO.

3. SamuraiRat

SamuraiRat Orange Belt

Than:icon_cheeks