• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinions on askrens career as a whole

He's a very one dimensional fighter. When he gets to use that one aspect of his game its awesome to watch.

He is a great wrestler but I think he lacks the natural explosive athleticism that is required to be a top contender or champion in the UFC.

All the other champs, even though they are also elite wrestlers, are simply naturally superior explosive athletes compared to Ben (even Khabib). At this point in contemporary MMA, you need solid grappling, solid striking AND natural athleticism to be a top player. Ben only has one of these attributes.

Gigantic bust. Idc about his money or anything like that but dude has looked like a bum in every single UFC fight.

Dana is a clown for giving up DJ for him.
Skill aside Askren has brought way more money to UFC than DJ has in his entire career.
How many sherdog threads have you seen about DJ, both positive or negative.
Again, not talking skill- DJ is an all time p4p great.

What do you think of askrens career as a whole and what do you think his legacy will be?
UFC career too late.
I dont think its fair to evaluate his career based on the UFC run thus far.
I watched Askren as an active champion years ago and his pressure was far more intense.
Askren retired when he did and should have stayed there. I dont believe he still has the MMA bug but more so wanted to be able to say he was in the UFC and likely has nice contract. Unfortunately all the greats cant transition to a new run in another promotion after being retired or inactive for years.

Dan Henderson ...look at that man, legendary career and good run in the UFC but remember coming to the UFC he was both Pride WW champion and Pride MW champion...lost his first 2 UFC fights to JACKSON and SILVA, lost 1 of 8 MMA fights thereafter that.

Shogun, murderer in Pride...beaten in his first fight by Forrest Griffin in the UFC.

Cro Cop in PRIDE most feared striker in history, came to UFC destroyed a can and then never carried over that killer instinct.

Takanori Gomi was one of the best LW fighters in the world, came to UFC and never ever had a chance. Lost to Florian and Guida etc.

just a few of MANY examples

Ben askren ufc career:
first fight, almost dead.
Second fight, dead.
Third fight, his dead body molested.

His three UFC fights provided more thrills and genuine excitement for UFC fans than Mighty Mouse did in his entire career dominating other grade school kids.
Lol honestly this. Win or lose, he's the most exciting fighter in the UFC right now. Even today, he gave us the return of K1 Maia and gave us a thrilling, high level grappling battle with Demian.

A good fighter who probably should've started more towards the bottom of the top 15ish rather than throwing him right to Robbie Lawler, Masvidal and Maia. IMO with some proper building Funky could be a legit threat at WW to pretty much anyone. Let him get his feet wet. He's shown he's got skills comparable to top guys, and he's tough as hell, as well as mentally strong. Let him work his way up.

Don't think so at all. Guy has been fighting forever and his striking is not bad but pathetic. I can strike better than him and all my training has been watching MMA forever and a couple of street fights. That "building a fighter" thing may work with newcomers with natural skills and lack of experience. Askren went already through that process and well...you know what they say about teaching new tricks to old dogs right? I hate the phrase but I think it applies pretty good here.

Don't think so at all. Guy has been fighting forever and his striking is not bad but pathetic. I can strike better than him and all my training has been watching MMA forever and a couple of street fights. That "building a fighter" thing may work with newcomers with natural skills and lack of experience. Askren went already through that process and well...you know what they say about teaching new tricks to old dogs right? I hate the phrase but I think it applies pretty good here.

I'd be willing to bet he'd beat the breaks off you lol

I'd be willing to bet he'd beat the breaks off you lol

He definitely would wrestle fuck me. But by watching his striking yesterday I would be pretty confident in a striking match against him. He sucks in that department and you can't deny that unless you are his lover or his mom. He is fighting the best in the world sir.. you really would give him chances in the UFC if they would have "built him" first with some warm up fights?? LOL!! yeah right.

He definitely would wrestle fuck me. But by watching his striking yesterday I would be pretty confident in a striking match against him. He sucks in that department and you can't deny that unless you are his lover or his mom. He is fighting the best in the world sir...Do you really would give him chances in the UFC if they would have "built him" first with some warm up fights?? LOL!! yeah right.
"I think you'd be surprised."

He definitely would wrestle fuck me. But by watching his striking yesterday I would be pretty confident in a striking match against him. He sucks in that department and you can't deny that unless you are his lover or his mom. He is fighting the best in the world sir.. you really would give him chances in the UFC if they would have "built him" first with some warm up fights?? LOL!! yeah right.
WW is one of the most striker populated divisions in the sport right now, there aren't many if any top 15 WW's I'd pick ben over

Lol honestly this. Win or lose, he's the most exciting fighter in the UFC right now. Even today, he gave us the return of K1 Maia and gave us a thrilling, high level grappling battle with Demian.

did this guy just call Ben Askren the most exciting fighter in the UFC right now

"I think you'd be surprised."

I've been watching this for a while son.... there's no way a guy who fights the way this one does could surprise anyone, including yourself, unless like I just said....you are his lover or his mom ;)

One dimensional can crusher that should be 0-3 in the UFC had it not been for Herb Dean being high off that good shit

Back