Opening a Gym next to another Gym...

J Storm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this? Is it disrespectful?

I recently joined up with Fighthouse BJJ in NYC and directly across the street a Studio X has opened up. They have a big ass flag/banner hanging out their window also. Now, is it all fair game and just competitive, or is it rude and disrespectful to open a gym right next another?

I know in midtown there is a big Circuit City, and a bigger Best Buy opened up DIRECTLY next door. The two are actually sharing a wall, and from what I've heard, the BB is smoking the CC. But that's big corporate bullshit. I've seen McDonald's open up across the street from BK's and Home Depots open up right next to Lowes all in an effort to push the other out and basically steal customers, but I always assumed it would be a little different when it came to martial arts. Yes it is a business, but cmon, it's a pretty big city.

I also know Ronin and NYSanda are pretty much right next to each other. I don't know if there's any beef there, but I also found that odd.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Just bad business, big corps have the money to lose in a given location. Most Gyms are small business and dont really have all the money in the world to try to burn out comp.

They are going to be going after the same people, so they tend to cannibalize one another.

One could have MUCH more financial backing than the other, in which case its shrewd, but will kill the comp.

not related to the main topic, but all I have to put forward is this:

It's different for food, in my eyes. If it's the lone place for food in the area, it probably deserves some competition. And the more of that, the more groups of people are likely to head out to eat there. ("Want to come to McDonalds?" Uh yeah I guess, I'll hit up the BK across the street and stop by to eat.. - essentially a 'food court' style setup)

Depends on the styles etc. I'm a noob but I've never heard of Studio X really(And google fails me, or rather I fail google..). If it's very similar, that's probably a bit rude but hey, what can ya do (other than, if their instruction is poor, go over there and roll with some people for an open mat, then drop where you train etc casually)

Business is war plain and simple! If you want to survive you have to do whats neseccary!!

It doesnt matter what the product is (in this case martial arts) you are in business to survive and prosper.....PERIOD! Just because people within martial arts respect each other means nothing in this case!!

It will also force the instructors to have the best, cleanest, school with top notch instruction or it will fall prey to the other school!! May the best school win!

Business is war plain and simple! If you want to survive you have to do whats neseccary!!

It doesnt matter what the product is (in this case martial arts) you are in business to survive and prosper.....PERIOD! Just because people within martial arts respect each other means nothing in this case!!

It will also force the instructors to have the best, cleanest, school with top notch instruction or it will fall prey to the other school!! May the best school win!

They're offering different disciplines, no?
I would not be happy if I owned Fighthouse, but Studio X will push you to provide a better service, product and price.
Fair game.
Survival of the fittest.

The real winner in this situation is us, the consumer!

my friend who is slso my instructor blackbelt from brazil .told me in brazil when a new shool opened up the 2 instructors would challege each other and who ever won thats the school that would get all the student. but in america most instructors just talk how good they are but dont prove it. i myself think it is disrespestfull my 2 cents

in some cities, there may not be much of a choice. The cost of land, zoning, and location all play a part when deciding where to open ANY business.

be good if the 2 clubs could do inter competitions against each other

Total bullshit. But, the world is overflowing with it, so what can you do.

If you live in NY, why wouldn't you go train at the Serra academy?

Some people did that with our school. Pretty rude and disrespectful if you ask me.

A local school (about 5 miles from us) had some internal issues and part of them broke off to start a new school. They decided to open their school 1/4 mile from ours.

The more f***ed up part is that they were talking trash about us even though one of our MT guys kicked the ass of one of their instructors. (They can't even touch our bjj so its a non-issue).

Just competition. Capitalism isn't about respect, it's about competition.

I myself find it really disrespectful, it's obvious they chose that location trying to run your school out of business.

Back