Open Mat

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does open mat mean anyone can show up and roll, without an instructor? I train about 4-5 days a week at my current school, but want to train a little more in my free time, and some other schools have open mat during some of this free time. Would it be ok to show up and roll with people, or do I pay for the "lesson"? I don't mind paying a small fee, but I don't want to pay $25 a day (The single day fee for most places) and not get any instruction.

...where is the open mat you want to go to? The open mats that I've been to I have not had to pay ... but the open mats I went to where at high schools and such ... not actual MMA/grappling schools.... But then again, there is kind of an 'open mat' at Star Jiu-Jitsu on Monday and Thursday nights, where the UTD wrestling team comes and trains. Different high school/college age/older adults come in all of the time who are not a 'member' of Star Jiu-Jitsu.... :D

Usually you've got to pay the mat fee whether there is an instructor there or not, your paying for using the mats basically. Open mat is just open sparring, who ever wants to roll, rolls. If the school is like your sister school or something they may not collect mat fee from you, or maybe if they don't charge a mat fee they might let you roll for free like if your from out of town or something. Call the gym and talk to the instructor.

Yeah always check with the instructor or academy manager or whoever. Remember that most schools are actually businesses, with bills to pay and overhead to meet every month and liabilities they assume just to keep their doors open for customers. You may need to sign a waiver or something like that, too.
I know it sounds like that might be a pain in the ass for guys who want to just find a place to roll, but imagine this...YOU'RE the instructor and it's YOUR business. What if some spaz white belt wannabe Fedor just showed up with ringworm all over his hands wanting to practice his flying armbars?

DMcKayBJJ said:
Yeah always check with the instructor or academy manager or whoever. Remember that most schools are actually businesses, with bills to pay and overhead to meet every month and liabilities they assume just to keep their doors open for customers. You may need to sign a waiver or something like that, too.
I know it sounds like that might be a pain in the ass for guys who want to just find a place to roll, but imagine this...YOU'RE the instructor and it's YOUR business. What if some spaz white belt wannabe Fedor just showed up with ringworm all over his hands wanting to practice his flying armbars?
Although most everyone makes you sign a waiver, I was told that they are pretty useless legally. Of course IANAL too...

LoL @ -> What if some spaz white belt wannabe Fedor just showed up with ringworm all over his hands wanting to practice his flying armbars?

you don' have to pay but no instructor most of the time you have to sign a waiver.

Just be real with the people your training with "I have little experience" and most of the time they will tell you your errors and weaknesses.

Don't bring an Ego, Somebody is letting you into their house be respectful.

Open mat at my club:

Sign a waiver.

Get on the mat.

I just changed to a new gym, not to sure about the rules for open mat.

Thanks guys. I will call around.

Back