Open guard question

Lovesong

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ok, here is the situation:

I have double sleeve control as my opponent stands up. He knows I want to get a De La Riva hook in and so doesn't step forward. He is bent over pretty bad and will sometimes sprawl to get my feet off his hips and try to come around.

My current reaction to him standing up with his hips back is to switch to shins on biceps or try to work in a leg lasso and forget about the DLR hook. Overhead sweeps won't work without a setup (any ideas?) because it is hard to get his weight over me.

What kind of offense is there against an opponent who stands up with such poor posture? I have manage to hit a scissor-like sweep when he sprawls by using one foot to push his knee back and the other foot hooked under his armpit to flip him over. Any other suggestions?

Is there a good way to get the outside hook in? I've been working on my DLR game so people know I'm trying to get it.

I'm just looking for other ideas and reactions for this situation I've been finding myself in more and more. Thanks!

If he steps his feet up close to you hook your calves around his knees buckling them inward, then with your sleeve control pull his arms over your head...this will work bc his posture is so poor. Now his hands are above yours on the floor and his knees are trapped, you let go with either hand (for this example lets say left) and you reach around both his legs (like a double leg) and drive him to the right side as you pull his left hand towards you so he can not post to stop himself....I think I have a video of this let me check and I will edit this post...

EDIT- here is the video link

YouTube - new open guard sweep

This wont work if you let him sprawl obviously but I like this sweep...

This happens a lot. It also happens when your opponent is defending against spider guard ... they step their legs back so you can't do sweeps.

Some people will shoot triangles and armbars from there, but personally I think you want to hit either the collar drag or armdrag. They have nothing to stop it, they will go flying. Collar drag or arm drag and go to the back.

Oohhh.... but the overhead sweep does work. Work on it, I'd say.

Additionally to what the other poster have recommended, you can try

1) Pendelum sweep, after you scoot into him to scoop the leeg.

2) Push one knee to get an angle to insert the DLR hook.

@ Zankou
Wow, I hadn't even thought of arm drags. I've been so focused on keeping my double sleeve grip that it never even occured to me. It makes so much sense because his upper body is so extremely far in front of his hips. You are using feet on the hips to push him away so you can sit up into the drag?

@ Trickster
That's a nice sweep but unfortunately my opponent isn't putting his legs close enough to me to hit it. I'll keep it in mind though as something different than always throwing in an outside hook.

Oohhh.... but the overhead sweep does work. Work on it, I'd say.

Additionally to what the other poster have recommended, you can try

1) Pendelum sweep, after you scoot into him to scoop the leeg.

2) Push one knee to get an angle to insert the DLR hook.

I think I need a good setup to get an overhead sweep. I feel like the position is right if I could just get more under him, or get his weight coming temporarily forward. Do you have a particular setup in mind?

with him leaning over and you with control of his sleeve sounds like a juiciy opportunity for an arm drag. he's likely to try and posture/pull his arm away. this may leave him open for double/single leg.

@ Zankou
Wow, I hadn't even thought of arm drags. I've been so focused on keeping my double sleeve grip that it never even occured to me. It makes so much sense because his upper body is so extremely far in front of his hips. You are using feet on the hips to push him away so you can sit up into the drag?

@ Trickster
That's a nice sweep but unfortunately my opponent isn't putting his legs close enough to me to hit it. I'll keep it in mind though as something different than always throwing in an outside hook.

Yes. I do the same thing with spider guard if the guy leans his upper body way forward and keeps his feet back. You let go of one sleeve and grab the collar or arm, and then violently hip out and drag. The guy will go crashing into the mat, face first, as you come to his side.

Basically you are going to sitting guard, and then doing the collar or arm drag against his bent-over posture.

Just like with standup, if the guy keeps his legs back you do snap downs and armdrags. He can't stop them with that posture. Get to the side as you pull him down.

Back