Open guard ---> Closed Guard

OldTimey

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been doing a lot of open guard shin guard/butterfly hooks on standing opponents lately, and it's been going pretty well. I'd like to practice more closed guard, especially for no gi.

Is there any nice way to go from open guard-ish to closed guard on a standing opponent? I can almost always get butterfly hooks if that helps. Videos would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There's not much benefit to taking closed guard on a standing opponent. Generally in closed guard, you don't want him to stand.

There are a few strategies I guess, but in general I think open guard is a lot better against a standing opponent.

Take him down.
I don't think there is any point trying to closed guard on a standing opponents.
You would have to get him back on his knees first.

Hmmm okay. The reason why I was wondering is that I rarely ever have someone in my closed guard, and I wanted to work on it. Is it bad form to rarely use closed guard?

Nah that is fine.
There is 2 school of thoughts.
Play closed guard at all time and your opponent has to open it.
Just play open guard.

One way to close guard on a standing opponent is just to butt Scoot backward until he get fed up and go back on his knees. I do that a lot when I want to set up from my arm drag move from butterfly . But the guy just keep standing around.

Pull him down into your half guard on his knees and use the outside hook as a counterpoint while you look for closed? That is my most-typical path to closed.

I play closed all the time (I am actually trying to start opening because I got sort of stymied by guys who were ready for my game at my last competition.) One thing that has really helped with obtaining the position is leading with my hips. Don't try to pull him down into it - shoot your hips at him.

Watch some Michael Liera Jr. competition videos. He pulls open guard and seems to fight for the closed guard.

Hmmm okay. The reason why I was wondering is that I rarely ever have someone in my closed guard, and I wanted to work on it. Is it bad form to rarely use closed guard?

No. Some people like closed guard, some don't. Doesn't matter one way or another. But you generally only get to closed guard against opponents on their knees.

One way to close guard on a standing opponent is just to butt Scoot backward until he get fed up and go back on his knees. I do that a lot when I want to set up from my arm drag move from butterfly . But the guy just keep standing around.

Wouldn't the ref call you for disengaging/stalling? What happens if you butt scoot back and your opponent stays where he is?

Wouldn't the ref call you for disengaging/stalling? What happens if you butt scoot back and your opponent stays where he is?

good question.

from the way I look at it, it is the problem of the guy on top to keep you at the bottom.

if he just stands up and is not engaged, what stops you from scooting back? what stops you from standing up and take him down.

I prefer standing up and take him down, but TS is adament that he wants to play closed guard against a standing oponent.

I just an option.

Back