One Thing Most Champions Have in Common...

The OP appears to assume this style is inherently more successful than the countering style of, say, Anderson Silva. Is that true?

no i wouldnt say that because theres always exceptions...but i do think that Anderson Silva was less adaptable if you didnt come at him like he wanted you to.

I think with the new drug testing and the IV-ban we'll see a strong decline in pressure fighting.

I think with the new drug testing and the IV-ban we'll see a strong decline in pressure fighting.

i dont think its going to affect the higher weights too much

lmao at Aldo hate thread.

TS, that's just something that most well-rounded fighters do. There are some exceptions, but by and large, yes, anyone that has had considerable success does generally maintain offensive pressure on their opponents at all times.

Fucking duh.

lmao at Aldo hate thread.

TS, that's just something that most well-rounded fighters do. There are some exceptions, but by and large, yes, anyone that has had considerable success does generally maintain offensive pressure on their opponents at all times.

Fucking duh.

This is a new phenomenon that has started to exist in MMA. The majority of boxing is not a swarming style like pacquaio. It's a much more thinking mans game. But this style has been largely successful in kickboxing and even so it feels a ton more rushed and 'desperate' when you look at someone like MM or Mcgregor or even Weidman sometimes.

It's not fucking duh because this hasn't been the case in MMA until recently yo

also the champs seem to have head movement,good striking defence...but not cain who is like rousey,just full speed ahead till they can grab a hold of you near the fence.

Good observation. They literally just bull rush you till you break. This is the crazy type of pressure I had in mind

Well this thread escalated quickly.

Seems like a bait thread haha

This is a new phenomenon that has started to exist in MMA. The majority of boxing is not a swarming style like pacquaio. It's a much more thinking mans game. But this style has been largely successful in kickboxing and even so it feels a ton more rushed and 'desperate' when you look at someone like MM or Mcgregor or even Weidman sometimes.

It's not fucking duh because this hasn't been the case in MMA until recently yo

In Boxing, especially at the lower weights and the higher skill-levels, it's very hard to earn a finish. The more tactical styles evolved to score points and have ended up earning such success at the higher levels.

MMA, which evolves from the Vale Tudo tradition, and has fuck-all to do with boxing, has always emphasized finishes and in many cases early on, didn't even have points or rounds. Watch Ken Shamrock, Mark Coleman or Pat Miletich fight, they are constantly maintaining offensive pressure.

Maybe this stands out more to you as a boxing fan, I get that such aggressiveness is rarer in that sport. Perhaps TS has the same experience.

Success in MMA has usually meant dictating the action during every possible second of the fight. Has always been the case.

another thing they all have in common is granite chins

In Boxing, especially at the lower weights and the higher skill-levels, it's very hard to earn a finish. The more tactical styles evolved to score points and have ended up earning such success at the higher levels.

That's because of the gloves. It's hard to hit clean an elite boxer with good movement with good head movement and 14oz gloves while not having that huge heavyweight Power. Most people thought that would translate to MMA in the lower weight classes, but mma gloves are no 14oz gloves. They Knock people Out if they have contact.

Interesting thread, good topic. The lighter weight champs all possess this quality in spades (except for maybe Aldo.)

Back