one little thing

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by catzilla, Aug 27, 2018.

1. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

whats one little thing that someone said to you that changed your life?

example: When I got out of the military in 04, I moved from camp Pendleton, where I was stationed after a few years in Okinawa to Morro Bay California, right outside of san Luis Obispo in California with a buddy. One day I was outside and this old dude, my new neighbor, who was a judge, asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him I was going to go to school for Criminal Justice. He said " yeah a lot of young people go for that". For some reason this turned me off of that and I ended up moving to Boston and going to college for something completely different.

I sometimes think back on that convo and think about how different my life would have been if that 2 minute convo never happened. Different career, different friends, my whole life would be different. I wouldn't know anyone I do now, my current friends, wouldn't live where I do now, I wouldn't of had the experiences in life I have had....

Basically, Me going outside to smoke a cig and talking to my neighbor, who I never had talked to before, changed my life. Have any of you had an experience like this?

ChoKuRei, Alphaboy and Zer like this.
  2. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Brown Belt

He was a judge, so if anyone was going to give you advice or alter your life of pursuing criminal justice, it was the right person.

3. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

yeah I guess so... but it didnt feel like that. Just felt like a neighbor doing small talk.. but you are right def the right person.

ctrlaltdelete likes this.
  4. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

It's a grower, not a show...oh, words...

Mine would be " I won't get pregnant."

5. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

It wasn't exactly said to me, but when I heard 'Brevity is the soul of wit' it totally changed my internet posting. Back in the day I'd be one of those guys making long winded posts about everything and dropping serious vocab, but when I heard that line from Shakespeare I realized I was being an asshole. I started chopping my posts down to as few words as possible. So if you've ever thought to yourself '@Zer's dick jokes are snappy as fuck' you can thank Shakespeare

6. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

A long time ago when I was super depressed, my shrink told me, "You can kill yourself anytime. So why not just try to live to the fullest now?"
    On a similar note a poster here once said, "Just live until you die." I forgot who it was but those words had a profound impact on me.

7. Phr3121

Phr3121 Red Belt Platinum Member

So, you let one guy and his opinion change your college plans? Sounds like you weren't really certain of what to study to start with.

For me, I have to think of all the failed relationships that, had one worked, what children would have been born out of that marriage.

My father died in a car accident at an intersection when I was 4. Had he been a minute earlier or a minute late, he would have lived for many years. My whole life would have been different. My mother re-married and I came to live in the U.S. Joined the military. Met my wife through a job that took me from the U.S. back to Brazil. So, his death affected my future and the future of my sister and mother.

catzilla likes this.
  8. horc00

horc00 Purple Belt

But it didn't seem like the judge said it was a bad idea, did he? @catzilla

9. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

i know two shakespeares... what is there first names?

Hearse Lightning likes this.
  10. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

no he just said a lot of kids go into it

11. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

@Clippys Mom

catzilla likes this.
  12. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Silver Belt

Someone on here said recently (paraphrasing) that who you are now is not what you're always going to be. So basically we're all a work in progress, we can all change our skills, adapt and become better things. It's very true and something I've done and feel I can continue to do, very inspirational stuff.

catzilla likes this.
  13. Merlotte's

Merlotte's Silver Belt

"Stay away from those girls in rehab. They're no good."

- My father

Had to remember this one just last year. Was courting a fat assed Hawaiian girl but had to back off after finding out she was in Narcotics Anonymous.

catzilla and irish_thug like this.
  14. Job Interview

Job Interview Guilty of being white

"Let's go to Vegas and get married."

"Fuck it, why not?"

Led to years of bliss.

ctrlaltdelete and Tone C like this.
  15. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

I love you

Most evil words in the human language

ctrlaltdelete likes this.
  16. yamahacrasher

yamahacrasher Blue Belt

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Said in reference to a woman I was going to sleep with, but has been a useful mantra in so many facets of my life.

17. Alphaboy

Alphaboy Black Belt

Wish I had a story of a wise old man walking up to me when I was backpacking the mountains and bestowing life-changing wisdom to me.

Alas, I don't have a story like that. I do have quotes I've learned or been taught that carry me a long way.

18. OMGstreetfight

OMGstreetfight Fred Loya Insurance shill

I had a platoon sergeant throw responsibility of people 20 years older on my shoulders (I was 20), and told me there are no excuses when you're responsible for something, it's always your fault. Taught me a lot about responsibility. I grew up completely within a couple months of leading a few soldiers because of that.

ctrlaltdelete and catzilla like this.
  19. Hearse Lightning

Hearse Lightning Not an Uber

Cliffs?

Zer likes this.
  20. Goon Dog

Goon Dog Furio Belt

My second girlfriend was gorgeous with an amazing body. And dumb as a fucking bag of hammers.

We started getting a little serious, and one Sunday after she had been over for several hours my dad pulled me aside in the back of the house. He said son, I know this will come as a shock to you, but someday there will come a time when you will occasionally stop fucking long enough to have an actual conversation with this girl. You need to experience what that’s like before you buy a ring or do something stupid because forever is a long time.

My pop and I didn’t have the best relationship, but this was the greatest, most impactful advice he or anyone else ever gave me. Thank God I followed it!

Reyesnuthugr, irish_thug and Tone C like this.